Babies on the Brain

Prenatal Vitamins: the good, the bad, and the does it matter?

2»

Re: Prenatal Vitamins: the good, the bad, and the does it matter?

• shinderleashinderlea member
    edited October 2014

My Dr. advised me to take a separate supplement of Vitamin D3 even though I'm already getting some with my regular prenatals.  I also take a separate DHA and omega 3 blend.  Its good for eye and brain development and VD3 is good for bones. Iron and Folic Acid are also very important when choosing a prenatal.  I order my prenatals from HONEST.COM.  They have an organic whole food complex blend added in.  It all depends on how much you're willing to spend on prenatals. I say, choosing the brand does matter. A lot of vitamins have hidden ingredients or do not supply the sufficient mg/IU.

• Pretty much any prenatal, they all seem to have the important stuff in them, like folic acid. My first pregnancy I didnt take prenatals until month six and I used the big horse pills. This pregnancy, I havent been taking them regularly but I got the gummis. both were buy one get one but the gummis were cheaper (they were from krogers, the horse pills CVS) I would just go for whats cheapest and BOGO.
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor told me any prenatal is designed to have enough folic acid. She also suggested taking a fish oil capsule as well. She suggested freezing the fish oil and taking at night to keep away the fish oil burpies. I also take VitaFusion prenatal gummies. Much more fun and easier to swallow than traditional pills!
  • I went to two of the top OBGYNs in Orange County, CA and they both recommended prenatals from vitaMedMD.

vitaMedMD Plus is the best two part prenatal: https://www.vitamedmd.com/c-7-prenatal-supplements.aspx You do not need a Dr. prescription for this and can buy direct from them and get it shipped to your home :)

However I had sever nausea and I got vitaPearl: https://www.vitamedmdrx.com/vitaPearl.aspx These require a prescription from your Dr. But, if your insurance does not cover it, you just have your Dr. call it in directly to them and they will send it to you automatically for 25.00 per month as you just provide them with your CC. Super easy and you never have to think about it!

Hope this helps all :) 

• PS: Take them before bed and it helps with naseua, a lot.
  • Anyone looking for a great prenatal, or having trouble swallowing the ones you take now, there are a couple of prenatal powdered vitamins out there. I tried Premama, and loved it! Needed to take a big pill plus iron supplement for anemia, but this formula covered it all. Showed my OB and got the OK to try it. I mixed it in smoothies (easy to keep down!) and it was perfect.
  • MD+3 said:
    Anyone looking for a great prenatal, or having trouble swallowing the ones you take now, there are a couple of prenatal powdered vitamins out there. I tried Premama, and loved it! Needed to take a big pill plus iron supplement for anemia, but this formula covered it all. Showed my OB and got the OK to try it. I mixed it in smoothies (easy to keep down!) and it was perfect.
    For fuck's sake, stop spamming the boards about your fancy prenatals.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • edited January 2015
    @mrsaf13 I saw your post today and I was wondering the same thing. Since you wrote that a few months ago, what did you find? I've been taking a women's daily plus an additional 400 of folic acid to be up to par with the amount of FA I'm supposed to be taking prior to TTC.

Did you eventually have to take a "real" pre-natal? What were your results?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • Love2RunJ said:
    What have people heard in terms of how early to start prenatals before TTC? I have heard to make sure you start a month prior but have read conflicting things.
    3 months out is what I have seen the most. 

I started 3 months before on folic acid; I started on full PNVs a month out. 

I take the Rainbow Light PNV.  It seems to be highly recommended by folks around here.  I tend to get an upset stomach from vitamins when I first start them, so I took it at night for the first week.  Now I can take them in the AM on an empty stomach with no issues. 

Me: 33  DH: 39  Married 5/17/14
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015

Formerly known as JennyH81

DH has one son (11) from prior marriage
    Baby Girl Pug is my furbaby

Come peek in my ute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"