Babies on the Brain

Too early/young for Baby fever?

Re: Too early/young for Baby fever?

• You are not physically too young to have a baby.  That part is obvious.  but are you emotionally ready?  From reading your post, it sounds like: you are emotionally ready and you have experience with kids, which will help you.  Yes, you are ready.  However, parenting takes two.  Is your husband ready?  If I were you, I would sit down with him, and make sure you have clear communication on: his fears, his hesitation, and what timeline he would like to have children.  Sometimes men tend to not plan ahead, and remember it will be 9 months from the time you conceive till the time you have the baby.  Plan out a timeline together that you are both comfortable with.

• I had my daughter when I turned 19 and I just found out we're expecting again and I just turned 22. I will admit that I wish I had time to travel and have my own experiences before I had my own family, but I'm now more excited that someday I'll be able to take my kids with me for these adventures. We're planning a Disney trip for September of 2015 and at least one big trip every year. We aren't rich by any means, my boyfriend works as a medical assistant and I'm still in school, but we're making ends meet and choose to use our tax refunds as something fun we can do all together.

If I were in your position, I would take the next year to travel and do whatever it is you want to do without children (or needing to get a babysitter) so that you can start seriously working on having your own family.

Best of luck! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think age is the issue here. Personally, DH and I got married when I was 3 days shy of my 29th birthday and we aren't planning to TTC #1 until this summer - right before I turn 31. For me, I wanted my 20s to be about, well, ME. I cannot fathom the idea of having a child at 21, 23, or even 26. However, as a PP stated, I live in an area when it's very common to get married late and have kids late - our only friends with children had them at 31 and 32.

That being said, the real issue is readiness. If your DH isn't ready, then you both aren't ready. You can only move as fast as your DH. If you both have the financial stability and desire, and feel secure with having a child then go for it. If not, then wait. If DH isn't on board, then that's that.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
  • OP, like you, when I was very young, I experienced the baby fever - all I could think of was babies.  I craved them like one craves chocolate.  It would make me so sad to see babies that I couldnt go home with.  I would babysit and it would leave me longing to be a mom.  I was a very mature teenager and young adult (I preferred quiet conversations over partying and hanging around kids over being with immature kids my age - adults around me always said I acted about 10 years older).  I met my husband at 15 and we got married when I turned 18.  We waited until almost 21 (and hubby 25) to have my son (and that wait felt like forever!).  We were financially set and were very happy and very much in love. 

Initially, he wasn't ready, but it was all I could talk and think about so he finally was convinced that we should try.  Once my DS was born, I was ecstatic.  This had been what I had wanted for so many years.  But unfortunately, hubs was not as thrilled to see my affection go to another.  He was not as mature as me and becoming a dad did not work out for us.  Seeing the lack of effort and enthuism on his part really disappointed me and it became a huge strain on our marriage.  I ended things when my son was a year old because it was not getting better. 

My son is now 13 years old and I don't ever regret having him, even if I had a long period of being a single parent as a result.  He is still the best thing that ever happened to me. 

I agree with most people here that you BOTH have to be ready 100% - yours may handle fatherhood way better than my ex, but I figured I'd share my experience in case it helps to get a different perspective. 

Good luck and when it's time, I am sure you will both make wonderful parents, no matter your age.

• I was married at 22, and I remember a lot of people talking behind our backs saying we were only getting married because I was pregnant (which I wasn't), and it drove me nuts! Don't worry about what the rest of the world and maybe even those around you might say about being too young. If you have your financial and relationship ducks in a row and if/when you're both wanting a baby, then go for it.

I was married just over a year when we had our first baby (would have been 9 months after the honeymoon if DH didn't need a little more time), and while it was a planned, wanted pregnancy, we were young, exhausted, and inexperienced but it was the best decision for us, and like most parents, there's no regret.
  • Compromise with him he says 5 years say 2 or so. But even I have baby fever now too.
  • bdl4349bdl4349 member
    edited May 2014
    I got married at 21 and found out I was pregnant in March... I will be 24 when the baby is born. Are we ready? Not even close! Excited... yep! It's all up to you. I don't know if anyone is ever ready but do what you and your husband want. Just both be on the same page because it will help in the long run!
  • I'm 21 and my boyfriend is 20 and we just found out a few weeks ago that I'm pregnant (7 Weeks Today) and surprisingly he was really on board when he found out. It took a few days for it to set in for him but I think he's more okay with the idea of baby than I was/am. I dont think it matters how old or young you are, but that you put all the love you can into the baby and remember all the responsibilities and whatnot that come with parenthood. I wouldnt have had it any other way, I may be young but I feel ready. 
  • i was reading all your ladies' comment, all i can think of is, you all are so young. I doesn't even know what I was doing/ thinking in my 20s. I guess I was busy searching my (career) path and being depressed :( . Anyway, I got married when I was 28, and I think I still have many year till I have to think about babies. Today, I am 30 and DH is 37. I suddenly realize we doesn't have much time, the quality of the eggs & womb start going down at 34, it gets harder to get preggo. I wish I thinking about babies a few years earlier. 
    Married on 5/18/12
    Wedding on 3/31/13
    TCC on 5/18/14
    BFP on 7/11/14

BabyFetus Ticker

• Some guys are different. My man is more ready for another baby than me. After 3 premature births. 2 resulting in death in nicu. I really don't want another baby because 1. High risk pregnancy 2. Depressed 3. I am scared.
  • OMG i am sorry to hear that. :( 
    Married on 5/18/12
    Wedding on 3/31/13
    TCC on 5/18/14
    BFP on 7/11/14

BabyFetus Ticker

• My husband and I were married when I was 19. I know what you mean when you talk about your husband being the best thing ever and still feeling that way, we have been married close to three years now and I still have butterflies when I talk about him and am with him. We thought we would wait about five years because we were so young, but we are Christians and really want Jesus to lead us in all things so right around our first anniversary we felt it on our hearts to trust God and not be on birth control anymore. We found about three weeks later that we were pregnant with our now nine month old daughter Maxine. Our marriage has only gotten better since she has been born. We love every second of being married and being parents. So while many may have tons of practicals to think about, I truly believe you will know when it's right. And if you find out you are expecting before you feel ready, you have nine months to be equipped and to prepare. Plus you will never truly be ready, it's always a learning process and I hope to learn how to be good at this for the rest of my life. 

Anyway if you care to read more of my thoughts on parenthood I write at www.thewanderyears.co!

Good luck, follow your heart! 
  • My husband and I were married when I was 19. I know what you mean when you talk about your husband being the best thing ever and still feeling that way, we have been married close to three years now and I still have butterflies when I talk about him and am with him. We thought we would wait about five years because we were so young, but we are Christians and really want Jesus to lead us in all things so right around our first anniversary we felt it on our hearts to trust God and not be on birth control anymore. We found about three weeks later that we were pregnant with our now nine month old daughter Maxine. Our marriage has only gotten better since she has been born. We love every second of being married and being parents. So while many may have tons of practicals to think about, I truly believe you will know when it's right. And if you find out you are expecting before you feel ready, you have nine months to be equipped and to prepare. Plus you will never truly be ready, it's always a learning process and I hope to learn how to be good at this for the rest of my life. 

Anyway if you care to read more of my thoughts on parenthood I write at www.thewanderyears.co!

Good luck, follow your heart! 

I'd take out your blog link...it's against the tos I believe. You can't advertise your blog here
    Me: 28 Husband:: 29
    TTC  since April, 2012; Diagnosed with Hashimotos, Annovulatory.
    October, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui - BFN
    November, 2013- Metformin + 50mg Clomid + iui + Prometrium 2x a day- Chemical Pregnancy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I will be having baby #2 and 3 this year at the age if 26. DH was on the same page with me 100% with wanting kids. (I should note he will turn 25 right before these babies come). Also, you never know how hard/easy it will be to get pregnant. It could take 1 try it could take 20+. You could end up with two babies like we did this time around. You have to know it's more complex than "we want a baby". But when your both ready then age doesn't matter.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I also got married when I was 22, but DH was 27.  We waited four years and we are expecting our first baby to arrive any day now.  I think what you're feeling is totally normal, but if your husband needs some time, let him have it.  I am personally so glad that we waited and enjoyed time as a married couple before having kids- especially because I was so young when we got married (something I would never change.)  We've had time to appreciate our marriage and do things together that we couldn't have done otherwise, not to mention nurture friendships that probably would have gotten tossed aside if we had a kid sooner.  Since we waited a lot of my friends are on the same page now, and they wouldn't have been if we had a baby when I was 23 or 24.  It's nice to have a support system around you, and not just from your husband!  I know baby fever is difficult to push aside, but I don't think you'll regret waiting.
  • Girl, wait! Sounds like you have a lovely life. Use that stability to enrich yourself. You can travel the world, learn new hobbies and skills, plant a garden, own a pet, learn a language, learn to play an instrument, get a graduate degree, make your dreams come true! And most importantly, learn about you and what makes you, you! A wordly, self aware adult makes the best parent. Age aint nothing but a number, true, but wisdom is something that takes time and can't be replaced. Take advantage of the big beautiful world, at least for a few years. Your future children will thank you for it. 
  • I am 22 and just married. I've pretty much had baby fever since I was 19 (and my husband also can't wait to have a baby), but I definitely want to wait until my mid to late twenties before TTC. Maybe even later. My husband is also wanting to wait until the time is right. What really helps me is to just remind myself that once I have a baby, I can't "un-have" a baby, but if I don't have a baby, I can always have one. 

We have a list of things we want to do before we have a baby - a few big vacations, and a few years of being able to sleep in on the weekends. If you're trying to talk yourself out of it, focus on your life now. Find  a new hobby!
  • Its not about age, its about if you and your H are ready! You both need to want it and be ready for it and make sure that it is a responsible decision. I got married just shy of 21 and our 3yr anniversary is in august and I am snuggling my 2 month old dd as i type this. Age is just a number, there are many other factors that need to be considered

note: I did not read all the other responses.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know that feel, girl! My DH and I are 24 and 22, respectively, got married right before senior year of college and will be celebrating two years of marriage next month! We've been talking about it for YEARS (literally, since our first and only "scare" when I was 16) and have recently decided that the time is right. I definitely wouldn't say you're too young or I'd be a hypocrite, but make sure your DH is 100% on board! Good luck!
  • I don't think anyone thinks your crazy. I know I don't, I got pregnant when I was 18 & I love my son with all my heart. Yes I was young,  I say make that decision one you and your husband make together because it affects both of you, for the baby fever a pet is very good especially puppy's they are just like baby's I wish you and your husband all the best of luck. image
  • I love babies.  I also love traveling.  Had I gotten pregnant when I was younger and less well off, I wouldn't have realized how much I loved to travel and see the world!  Now that I have more money, I am able to do those things. If I had a kid, I never probably would have realized that.  

I totally think its your choice if you want to have a kid and support it.  But like anything, there are going to be long term impacts as a result of your choices.  (which aren't always bad either!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's super important that you are BOTH 100% ready. My husband and I were at the same place you are. We were torn between starting a family and enjoying our freedom a bit longer. We decided to take a big trip! The time I spent planning the trip consumed all of my free time so I had no time to think about a baby. We enjoyed our vacation, came home with clear heads. We spent the next few months taking weekend trips and really enjoying traveling together and spending time alone. Soon after that we felt like we were ready to start a family. We just needed that little extra time to experience eachother. Now we have a one year old and another baby on the way and we couldn't be more in love. Life hasn't ended... we still travel and have fun but it's family fun and we wouldn't change it.
  • I got married at 18, my husband at the time wanted kids immeidately, but my gut told me not to.... at 25 I filed for divorce from him.....  Im 29 now, have since been re-married and have a little girl and also have a little boy on the way. 

EVERY person is different though, I have two friends of mine from high school that married their high school sweethearts, both have kids and are still very happily married.  My advice is to go with your gut, my gut thankfully told me to wait.

• Rebecca, I'm in the same boat as you. A little different situation I had my first child then got married. Now I'm 24 and 4 months onto my second. And it is AMAZING! I never loved a human more in my life. It's an absolute blessing to watch something you created grow up in front of you. But there are some things I would love to do by myself. Even the smallest thing like food shopping, going pee alone, blow drying my hair. Not only date nights, time with friends, but time for yourself and simple chores go out the window too. Not completely but it's a lot more complex and a lot of organizing and planning just to put away the groceries. If I were you I'd really talk with your husband and find some of the things on your bucket list you haven't done and DO THEM! It's a lot harder when you have a baby bjorn strapped too you. But if you feel like this is something you really want, there's no better end result. I didn't get to do everything I wanted but I have everything I need right at home. 
  • Oh my goodness I hear you on this in such an EXCESSIVELY big way. I always wanted to be a young mom (married at 22) but DH want ready and asked for a 4-5 year wait. I have been feeling that crazy woman my-ovaries-will-burst feeling for four years now. We're going to start in 2015 and poor DH has no idea how much of this crazy woman I've been holding back all this time lest I freak him out. If all goes well with TTC I'll be a mom at 27. Not bad but truely not the 24 I had envisioned.

I think it's most important to come up with a timeline that works for you both. Something that he's comfortable with and you can handle. You have to respect that it's his life too.

That being said DH's eyes were about the size of dinner plates when I reminded him of the timeline we had set together ;)

• I will say the hardest thing, relationship-wise, was that when you have a kid you suddenly have someone that you both care about more than your partner. Where you may be willing, even happy, to make compromises for each other in every aspect of your life... when you differ on what is /best/ for your child, it can create great tension. 

So while you are figuring things out, and your DH is not feeling quite ready, take this opportunity to talk about all the things. That's one thing I wish we had done. 

Thoughts about birth? Hospital, medicated, natural, home? Midwife or OB? In what way would he support you?
    Feeding baby. Breastfeeding? Formula feeding? Pumping? Who handles nighttime feedings, how can he support you in that? Extended nursing? How old is "too old"?
    Baby's sleep. What are your/his thoughts on cry-it-out? Cosleeping? Baby in your room in crib, baby in cosleeper, baby in own room? 
    Circumcision, if it's a boy. Yes? No? Why?
    Are you going to work or be a stay-at-home-mom? How will you two handle housework, what are his expectations there?
    /School/. This was a big one for us, though I guess it's probably more straightforward for others. Public school? Private school? Homeschool?
    Discipline is another big one. Where are you both on the subject of spanking? Time outs? Methods for handling tantrums? 
    What are your thoughts/expectation about gender roles? Do either of you mind if your son plays with Barbies and wants his hair to be long? Do you expect your daughter to wear pink and avoid superheroes? 
    Finances. Part of this is the whether or not you'll be working. Do you intend to save money? Buy a house? Start a savings for the baby? A college fund? Do you have health insurance that will cover the birth you want? Can you easily afford formula (if you're FF)? What changes might you need to make to accommodate a baby?

Those are just some ideas... and I'm not suggesting that you sit him down and interrogate him, lol. But since he's not ready, take this time to start learning about these subjects and bringing them up to discuss with him "for the future."

My fella and I had babies young. We met at age 20, were engaged by 21, married by 22, had our first baby by 23 and second baby at 26. Now we'll have our third at age 28. And I don't regret it /at all/. We just switched up the order. We put off our traveling, exploring, adventuring days for awhile - we'll do it in our forties, and that's fine with me (or sooner, with the kids! if finances ever allow).

My only regret is that we didn't discuss some of the above subjects ahead of time. We dealt with them as they came up, and we're pretty damn good at communicating so we've managed, but it's led to some pretty tense conversations and some bad feelings that I think could have been avoided if I'd had more foresight to figure this stuff out with him beforehand. For us the big ones were circumcision (I was against, he was for), school (I wanted to homeschool, he wanted public school), and discipline (we had to find a middle ground, he was much more severe than I). BFing and cosleeping he was iffy on with the first baby - he felt like it was going to last forever, and the idea of extended BFing was weird to him. By the second baby he just took it for granted, lol. 

Anyway. Just a thought. You should really wait for your DH to be ready, but that doesn't mean you can't start preparing. Read books. Figure out what you want. Figure out what your DH thinks. Find what works for both of you. Then you'll both /really/ be ready when the time is right.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for all the great feedback! A little follow up:
    I would NEVER force or trick DH into this. EVER. No offense to anyone, but I think tricking your husband and either going off the pill or whatever without telling him and without his support is just stupid. I don't want to try for kids until HE wants to try for kids too.  This is definitely a both person decision.
    Someone mentioned a great point: spend lots of time with kids of all ages, babysitting, etc. This is almost what makes me think I'm ready actually because I spent all of middle school and high school babysitting, I was a full time nanny at one point, I volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center and I work for my church in the children's department.  Now instead of coming home going 'whew, so glad it's just the two of us!' or coming back from a playdate with my ADORABLE bundle of energy nephew saying "I love him but OH MAN do I need a break" I find myself wanting to go back, I want that for us now.  My attitude towards all that is going from "glad I'm done" to "I want more!"
    But really, I'm encouraged to hear fellow young wives that think these feelings are totally normal. I agree: When DH is ready, I'm ready. I just kind of wish he'd be ready sooner :D
    I am in the same situation! My husband and I are almost 23, and I have horrible baby fever! We are trying to get our finances together in order to have a child. We have discussed trying in May when I graduate from college, and hopefully have some money saved up, but my DH is not completely sure if he will be ready by then. I totally get what you're feeling!
    Anniversary
  • Hi, a prespective from the flip side -my husband and I were together 15 years before we got married, we did all the stuff we thought we needed to do first - lots of travel, worked hard, built a business (him) and a career (me), renovated houses and set ourselves up. Then we got married and spent years trying to get pregnant and failing. We still wondered if we were "ready", if we were doing the right thing or if I lives were full enough...we flip-flopped between still trying to have a baby or being happy as we were just the two of us.   Happily (I'm 39 now) I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and we are both happy (still nervous) about it. But...it was a long hard road to get here.
    There's never a perfect time to have a baby, and if you wait too long to get everything ready - your body (or his) might have other ideas.
    Ultimately, if he isn't ready yet, then its not a good idea to push (or worse- trap him) into it. 
    But, lots of talking, and maybe even investigating your fertility early in case it may be an issue might be a good start. 
    Our parents were 22 when they had us, and we have a great adult relationship with them. They are like my best friends.   I wish I had done it earlier but hindsight is a wonderful thing. By the time I am ready to retire, my child will be only 20 and most likely still at home, so I wont have the freedom to go back to all the fun stuff once i finish work either - so I did it early and might miss out later - or worse, leave my kids parentless at a younger age than I would like as we are not getting any younger.  Either way, sacrifices are made, and you can only make decisions based on how you feel for now.  Best wishes
  • I got married at 20 and now 2 wonderful years later with my husband we decided we wanted to TTC. I believe that it is a feeling that you have to go with. If you feel everything is in line and you both are ready to be responsible for another human life I say go for it. There is no set age to have a child. It's maturity and ready and willingness to put someone's needs before your own.
  • I got pregnant at 20, I'm going to be a single mommy since the "father" doesn't want to be involved. This will sound insane but I was ready to be  a mother at 18. I know it's very young but you'd be amazed at how fast I was prepared when I saw those lines. I'll never regret my choice to become a mother and my daughter (everyone even the docs say girl and so do I) is my absolute world. Talk about it with him. Maybe schedule tests to make sure you're both healthy for when you're ready to conceive you positively can. It only took me a month and a half lol but I kept at it relentlessly!
  • rissatey94rissatey94 member
    edited September 2014
    Likewise, I am 20 years old and I'm having my first child after having many miscarriages and trying with the wrong guys. You wouldn't want to push it if he's not gun hoe about tiny feet running thru your home just yet. 

• You aren't ready if he doesn't want a baby. That's sort of end of discussion. 

I got married at 21, after 3 years of living with my husband. Our marriage is really strong and we are best friends. I am now 24 and happily pregnant with our first. It was planned and did not feel early at all to us. We finished college, bought a house, have a great flexible jobs, and are ready for the next step. We also had a lot of fun - we have traveled, sky dived, gone on nice vacations, etc. This baby was conceived on the other side of the world lol. We are ready for the next step and age has pretty much nothing to do with it. 

Also, kids do not make it where you never have fun again. You will have different kinds of fun. You will have to mature and deal with new struggles. We are the type who spend our anniversary at the aquarium and a perfect night is pizza and netflix. We aren't going to miss too much and are just so excited to meet this new little family member in February!  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Just to add - I live in an area where getting married young and having kids young is very common. When we announced our pregnancy everyone said it was about time. Not because of our ages but because we had been together so long and it is just expected. We don't feel too young at all. When the baby comes I'll be 25 and DH 27. We want 2 or 3 kids. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hi!

My husband and I started dating four years ago, got engaged in 2013, and married in June of this year! And, two months later, we're pregnant! Not gonna lie, we didn't completely plan this, however, I couldn't be happier. Like you, I had baby fever like none other. Heck, I had it before I got married. Everyone told us we should wait to have kids, but EVERYONE has their own opinion and will live their own life! Everyone does it different! What works for some won't work for all. Being that my husband and I have been together for so long, we were both already wanting a baby. As to the people who say you're young and got married young (I also got married at 22), well I just like to think of those love stories where the grandma and grandpa are 90 and got married at 17 and had kids at 20 and so on. That's how it used to be. Times are changing, however, so it's really up to you! If you guys feel financially ready, talk to your husband and go for it. And heck, even if you don't feel financially ready, if you get pregnant, you will MAKE yourself be financillay ready. So that's my two cents. You followed your brain for two years. You can follow your heart now if you want! Oh, my mom always says, if you wait a year, you'll still be young! True! But also think about how many kids are you wanting to have and where will that put you age wise when you're ready to be done? and yadah yadah, good luck!!!!
  • I'm only 22, i'm not married but we've been together for years. As a PP said, i also live in an area where it's very very common to have a baby around this age, though the trend in this area is also long engagements and having kids before marriage.
  • It definitely sounds like you guys are in a good position to have children, but I agree with some of the PPs. If your DH isn't 100% on board, but also isn't necessarily avoiding the idea then you shouldn't push him. Keep loving your married life and just let it happen naturally.

Enjoy your "you" time. Take a romantic vacation. Maybe come up with a "cradle  list" of all the stuff you and DH want to do before getting tied down and start doing them so that when you do start TTC conceive there's no apprehension and you're both actively excited about the whole process.
  • It sounds like you guys are really on the ball and I don't think you're too young (I had my first son at 20). However, if your husband isn't ready...don't push it. 
  • I didn't read any of this thread. But OP, I just turned 24, hubby will be 24 in January. Our oldest will be 3 in December and youngest is 13 months, thinking about #3.
  • fmf5fmf5 member
    edited October 2014
    Lurker from TTGP. I wouldn't say you're "too young" for TTC. Although I guess it is really just a personal opinion. I am 20, will be 21 in march/SO is 29, and I am TTC (call me crazy but we are ready so that's all that matters) But I agree with others on if your H isn't ready yet I wouldn't push it. Or talk to him about it more because it can take up to a year, maybe longer, to actually conceive. And I read on the newbie blog that the younger you are the more likely it is to conceive, After I Wanna Say 20 your chances of conception decrease, so as long as you feel you're ready go for it. If I am wrong please someone correct me on what I've read in the newbie blog. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"