1st Trimester

Dealing with migraines during pregnancy

2»

Re: Dealing with migraines during pregnancy

• Glad to read the responses. I suffer from migraines as well. This is one of my top questions to discuss at my first OB appointment.
  • When I realized I was still going to have migraines, but now that I'm pregnant can't take my beloved prescription Imitrex (which works within 30 minutes), I was panicked. My husband went out and bought me a gel bead eye mask, which I heat for 20 seconds in the microwave then place over my eyes. I honestly didn't think it would actually make the migraine go away, but it did!! I'm 9 weeks in and so far have had 3 migraines. The heated eye mask has worked every time :) Good luck--I know how miserable they can be! PS I truly think the reason I had so many early on was because I tried to quit caffeine cold-turkey. Adding a little bit back in my system then slowly weening myself off has also been a huge help!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I suffered from intense, daily migraines during my first trimester, which also happened to be during an extremely hot summer.  I was drinking massive amounts of water every day to try and offset them and found out later that I drank so much water I was actually contributing to them due to low electrolytes.  Make sure you keep your electrolytes in balance and are getting enough potassium and other salts (there are some great tablets you can dissolve in water by Nu that use stevia to sweeten if you aren't getting enough and don't want to go with gatorade).  As others have suggested, caffeine is also very helpful.  I normally do not touch the stuff so my husband always knew it was bad when I asked for coffee in the morning.  Usually the combination of caffeine in the morning, some form of gatorade or substitute (I also made a lot of juice-based sports drinks since the commercial stuff is foul) and a couple of Tylenol let me get though the day... And if all that wasn't enough it was time for a cold soak with epson salt.  My neighbor who was pregnant at the same time bought a kiddie pool to sit in her yard to soak in!
  • waechter1waechter1 member
    edited November 2014
  • I have had migraines for 15yrs and now I'm almost 16weeks. I have had a severe migraine for about a week and a half. My neuro gave me Fiorcet with codiene and he said I can take up to two per day. I also try to drink a coke with it and have swapped heat and cold packs but no relief. I'm at the point of going crazy any other suggestions would be great. Has anyone tried the essential oils?
  • Hi ladies.  First of all, my apologies to the fellow migraine sufferers.  They're the worst!  I saw my neurologist when we were TTC, and he prescribed butalbital.  He said it's category C, meaning that studies are inconclusive on the effects it has on pregnancy, but that it's fine to take every so often when truly in the throes of an awful migraine.  He also referred me to a chiropractor, and that worked wonders.  
    Luckily, I haven't gotten to that point yet but I'm only 5w4d.  In addition to that med, water, sleep, and ice packs work best for me.    
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • I've seen a few others post about it, and i've also posted in a separate forum about Fioricet! It helps me so much! the migraines this pregnancy are killer and that's the only way I can make it through the day, OB & RE both said it is safe for pregnancy and highly recommended for migraine sufferers 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"