Working Moms

Croup -- when to go back to daycare?

Well, today should have been our LO's first day at daycare.  She's 13 months old and we've used a nanny up til this point.

She wasn't herself all weekend and woke up this morning with the seal barking cough.   Doctor confirmed it was croup, but didn't seem very concerned because LO's fever was only 100.0.  Gave her an oral steroid. 

I asked about daycare and the doctor said since she doesn't have what they consider a fever (100.4) that as long as she doesn't get worse she could go tomorrow. 

YIKES!  First of all, I really don't want her first day at daycare to be when she's not feeling well.  And, I don't want to be the person taking in a sick kid.  

But, we haven't even started daycare so I'm not sure of the norm.   

Any advice would be greatly appreciate! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Croup -- when to go back to daycare?

• I'd call the daycare and see what their policy is, while letting them know that your doctor said that since she didn't have a fever, she could go back tomorrow. 

• I'm guessing it's not contagious anymore?  I am paranoid about my son getting croup...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • DD got croup all the time. It's been awhile now (fingers crossed!). Croup is not a contagious disease in and of itself. Croup is an individual's response to a virus, which may just be like a cold in other children. Certain viruses are more likely to cause croup symptoms, but you don't "catch" croup--you catch a cold-type thing and then it turns into croup in some people. Does that make sense? So, for DD, she would get croup with just about any upper respiratory virus but often felt fine other than stridor overnight. 

If your child seems to be feeling fine, and has a very low or no fever, I would send him or her.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My LO just got over croup. He came down with it Wednesday night, went to the doctor on Thursday and thanks to the steroid the worst symptoms were gone by Friday morning. He still has a cough, but went back to daycare today. He probably could have gone to daycare on Friday, but since I knew it would be a slow work day for me I was able to work from home. It was more about him and I being more comfortable than concerns about contagion. I just wanted to snuggle with him all day. That stinks that it hit just as your LO is starting. But really, I'm sure she'll be fine there. They probably deal with this all the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS got croup once, and I didn't send I'm to daycare until he was fever free for 24 hours. He still had the cough ( though much reduced), but the cough takes a few days to disappear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

Daycare policy is 24 hours with no fever, so we wouldn't be "breaking the rules".

But, being so new to the daycare I don't want to be "that mom" that brings a sick kid to school.  

I did understand the contagious post, thank you!   

Crazy thing is that LO has not coughed once since early this morning!!!!!   I'll see how things go tonight and in the morning.   If she's "off" I'll keep her home just because I don't want her first day at daycare to be miserable.  

• I did not realize this...thanks.

imageNicoleWI:

DD got croup all the time. It's been awhile now (fingers crossed!). Croup is not a contagious disease in and of itself. Croup is an individual's response to a virus, which may just be like a cold in other children. Certain viruses are more likely to cause croup symptoms, but you don't "catch" croup--you catch a cold-type thing and then it turns into croup in some people. Does that make sense? So, for DD, she would get croup with just about any upper respiratory virus but often felt fine other than stridor overnight. 

If your child seems to be feeling fine, and has a very low or no fever, I would send him or her.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I think its scary & sad people are encouraging a mother to send her baby to daycare the day after she went to the doctor. Parainfluenza virus (like you stated) is different for everyone and contagious from 5-7 after the onset of symptoms. My son has a low auto immune issues & I had to quit my job & pull him out of daycare due to other parents sending their kids to school because of no "fever"!
    It almost killed him since he interacted with more than two children who had different strains of viruses at the same time. He was hospitalized for months in the picu.
    These other kids were fine but since my son has low immune issues he was not & i felt it was very insensitive & selfish for the parents to send their kids sick & compromise others immune systems w/out realizing this could be an issue.
    If it were there child they would want other parents to make sure their kids are not contagious before sending them out w/others.
    I feel tge daycare rules need to be changed so that parents are forced to be held responsible of their own children while they are sick. I believe if you decided to have children then take that 5 days off work to care for your own child until they are fully healthy then send them back. The rule at school of they only go home if they have a fever is irresponsible & inconsiderate of many. Plus, your child wants mom when he/she is sick, not daycare personel.
    I understand some families are split & people have to work but once again. Those parents should consider that childs well being before splitting. If u cannot afford to take off work to care for your sick child due to a single income than stay married for the sake of your child- divorce after they are older & not getting ill as much.
    Thats our problem in Society, to many immediate gratification adults raising children half assed today.
    Sorry for the rant & dont mean all of this against what you have said but I feel its good to hear another side/opinion from someone :)
  • Im sure she is like 7 now. Keep her home atleast a few days after a fever. There are always other children who have more sensitive immune systems that will get it & in a worse way if you send your kid to school the day after they had a fever. Its not enough time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"