1st Trimester

Dealing with migraines during pregnancy

Do you have any suggestions for coping during pregnancy? I have always suffered from chronic migraines but of course during pregnancy it's even worse because I can't take my normal medication. Also i have a two year old so I can't just lay in bed anymore. I try to save Tylenol for when I absolutely need it, and not t for little aches/pains but I have recently read a study and heard from someone who is further along that excessive Tylenol use has been linked to add. Now I'm not sure what to do! Not that it really helped a lot anyway, would just like your thoughts or experiences.

Re: Dealing with migraines during pregnancy

• I do caffeine immediately, then a mild low dose painkiller, then elevate my feet, as well as hot compresses. It helps. Good luck!
  • I dealt with them withTylenol and chased it with caffiene, but please check with your doctor if that would be appropriate for you.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • abbyfulabbyful member
    edited March 2014
    I used to suffer from migraines, but have only had one in 3+ years now. The big change I made was my diet; now I eat about 75% paleo/primal and I quit drinking soda pop. I never could narrow it down to specific triggers, but the change in regards to diet did something. (The one migraine I did have was when I started eating crappy food again for a few weeks because of other stuff going on in my life.) My sister had bad migraines that occur a several times a week, and have landed her in the ER on occasion. She has tried all sorts of things: multiple prescriptions, massage & acupuncture, etc. She has also noticed a difference after switching her diet to mostly paleo/primal after I told her it helped me; she still has them a couple times a month, but it's a drastic reduction in frequency from what they were.

Magnesium supplements also help.

And a side note for later, research the pros & cons of getting an epidural, one of the side effects is chronic migraines. That was one of the reasons I went natural with DS, I had finally got the migraines to stop, I didn't want to risk triggering them again.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CchewningCchewning member
    edited March 2014
    Thank you all for your advice. I know being afraid of taking Tylenol is silly, I still do take it when I need it for a migraine, I just don't take it for other things like when my back hurts, or whatever. The main problem is it doesn't help anyway! I'm a vegetarian, and don't drink anything but hot tea, and water and try to be conscious of what I eat. I also drink magnesium tea at night. I did have completely natural birth with my son and plan to do it again. I had a spinal tap years ago which resulted in the worst headache of my life. That was just one reason for going natural.
  • I just expressed this same thing to my doctor at my appt. yesterday. I also brought up what I heard about tylenol "not being safe." He told me to keep in mind that ANYTHING not in moderation can be considered toxic or harmful. He maintains the fact that "regular" Tylenol is fine (but not extra strength). He also suggested that if I didn't feel comfortable, to try seeing and getting some advice from a neurologist.
  • Yes my Dr said the same thing- that the tricky part of pregnancy is we really should do anything or eat or drink anything that's not natural but that isn't always realistic. I do see a neurologist, but I have t been yet because he didn't really offer any solutions last time. I'm going to start with a chiropractor I think. GL to you too!
  • That study in Tynelol is crap. It doesn't tell you what 'excessive' is or for how long. Plus it was not very well controlled. Plus, living your life now is important. More studied have shown that pain and unneeded stress has a more direct link to your fetus than a slight increase of ADD.
    This.
    I drank a coke and took tylenol. Later I was put on percocet. Finally I was put on Midrin (it is actually called something else now). Those things only kind of helped. I would just have to take baths while wearing an ice pack. They finally resolved around 16 weeks. Good luck.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I used to take a daily preventative (have tried just about all of them) and topamax worked, however it is really unsafe during pregnancy! I have the fioricet (butal) and have taken it on rare occasion but it doesn't always work. I took midrin before i was pregnant with my son and it was the only thing that helped but was told it was not at all safe during pregnancy? By the time I was no longer pregnant it had been taken off the market , and only available through a compounding pharmacy. What is it called now? Maybe an ingredient was removed which makes it safer now? I was diagnosed at the age 4 so I feel like I've been prescribed or tried everything!! Recently I've discover a link between Asian food and migraines. It has never in my life bothered me until pregnancy.
  • Midwife recommended caffeine (STRONG cup of coffee) which kept it manageable till about 20 weeks. But they didn't completely go away until I started taking magnesium supplements (health food store) on midwife's recommendation (specifically magnesium oxylate 400 mg at bedtime)  Also, it's been helping me sleep - only waking up 1-2 x per night instead of 4+.  
  • cosmcosm member
    I do the magnesium, too. This time around I am not on a prescription preventive, but my first pregnancy I was on a beta blocker until the 3rd trimester, which really helped. I was also allowed to take reglan or benadryl with the tylenol to treat a headache. Caffeine sometimes made mine worse, so I avoided it. And I agree, I think the tylenol thing isn't really anything to worry about. It's better that you're able to eat and drink and take care of yourself. 
  • Ice pack on my forehead and another on my neck and I lay down and fall asleep, if I can.
    ME: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2010
    DX: Unclear-potential MF (low motility, borderline count); currently unexplained
    Ultrasound/HSG- Feb 2011
    Lap: May 2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #1: 6/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #2: 7/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #3: 8/2011
    9/2011 Switched REs...and more testing
    DX: Unexplained- borderline MFI
    IVF #1: 11/09/2011- BFP!!
    Beta #1: 241; Beta #2: 666
    Ultrasound scheduled for 5w6d
    Baby girl born 8.14.12
  • Tylenol for when they get too bad, and lots of water for when they're coming on. For me, migraine is usually a sign of dehydration.
    Married 07/2006, TTC since 2010
    08/2011: Clomid 50mg, IUI --> BFN  ,
    10/2011: Clomid 100mg, IUI --> BFN

04/13: Clomid, IUI BFP --> MC at 6w1d
    05/13: Femara 2.5mg, IUI --> BFN  , 08/13: Femara 2.5mg --> BFN
    03/14: Femara 5mg, IUI --> 1 follicle @ 27d --> BFP! EDD 12/02/14--> blighted ovum, missed MC 6w6d --> D&C
    4/23: D&C...starting over again, with a little part of my heart broken off
    5/31: Femara 7.5mg --> cancelled cycle, no follies
    7/14: Femara 5mg + brevelle + menopur + IUI --> converted to IVF, ER 7/28 --> ET cancelled due to severe OHSS.
    9/20/14:  Frozen Embryo Transfer --> BFP--> EDD 6/6/15 --> MC at 5w3d 

10/16/14: Frozen Embryo Transfer --> BFN
    2/6/15: Frozen Embryo Transfer --> BFP --> MC at 5w4d
    3/20/16: PGS-tested Frozen Embryo Transfer --> BFP, Living Child born 12/1/15
    6/6/17: Fresh IVF Cycle --> Severe OHSS, 5 PGS-tested embryos frozen
    2/23/18: PGS-tested FET --> BFN
    3/30/18: Cancelled cycle due to lining 4.2mm
    6/21/18: PGS-tested FET --> BFN
  • Lavender essential oil on my temples has saved my life. I am on a daily preventive/anti-depressant (Cymbalta) which used to control them but hasn't done much since I got pregnant. I was at a lavender farm with friends and realized my near-constant migraine was gone. So I got some essential oil and put it on my temples or under my nose and it is the only thing that has helped. Weird, I know. : )
  • I never had a migraine in my life until I got pregnant. This is my first pregnancy and I have had 2 migraines. The second one lasted over 24hrs. Tylenol didn't even touch it so I won't bother with it again. Ice packs on my neck helped, but after talking to my OB she prescribed phenergan if it happens again and said it was safe to take. Maybe I will give the lavendar oil a try, anything natural that won't hurt the baby is worth a try to me! Nice to know I am not the only one but it wasn't fun!

Me: 26 DH: 29. TTC since 8/2011.
    Amenorrhea/Anovulation since 9/2011.
    Monthly Provera since 10/2011
    SA: Normal HSG: Normal
    TTC under NP no scans, only labs:
    Clomid 50 mg 9/2012- BFN
    Clomid 50mg 10/2012-BFN
    OB refused to refer to RE
    Stopped Clomid for a yr- Only provera & TI
    Clomid 100mg 10/2013 IUI cancelled (no good follies)
    Clomid 150mg 11/2013-good follies! +trigger IUI#1 12/4/2013= BFN

*New RE in 2014*

Letrazole 5mg & IUI in 2/2014= BFP!!! on 3/4/14 Beta #1- 79 Beta #2 275

EDD 11/13/2014

~~All Are Welcome~~

BabyFruit Ticker

• Have you tried Inderal? That's what I'm taking and my doctor says it's a safe option. 
  • Does anyone know if it safe to take a real pain med? Like Norco or Vicodin? I've had migraines for over8 years, my neurologist told me to discontinue my topamax and I can't take any more fioricet. I have been getting really bad migraines/ headaches. My fertility doctor said is was safe to take a narcotic if needed. It just scares me ......
  • Why can't you take fioricet? Every ob I've ever seen has suggested it to be used during pregnancy, and I've asked each one to make sure (a total of 5)
  • My neurologist told me to discontinue it. I haven't got in touch with OB yet. I'll be with my fertility doctor for my first trimester . I hope I can take the fioricet , that stuff works great !
  • My doctor was able to prescribe something that was safe in pregnancy. I didn't end up needing it though! The hormonal changes were actually good in my case, and my migraines have been less frequent ever since my first pregnancy in 2011.

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • My OB prescribed me BUTALBITAL-APAP-CAFFEINE 50-325-40 MG. The way I understand it is that it is similar to Excedrin Migraine (which works wonders for me) but without Aspirin. He did ask if I had Aura or not. When I said only twice in 15 years of migraines, he gave me this. I think it's meant for tension headaches, but it's doing the trick. I'm sure your doctor can find something like this for you.
  • jgbennick said:
    My OB prescribed me BUTALBITAL-APAP-CAFFEINE 50-325-40 MG. The way I understand it is that it is similar to Excedrin Migraine (which works wonders for me) but without Aspirin. He did ask if I had Aura or not. When I said only twice in 15 years of migraines, he gave me this. I think it's meant for tension headaches, but it's doing the trick. I'm sure your doctor can find something like this for you.
    Yes this is fioricet I believe! I'm curious about the aura question though- I always have it.
  • I take Vicodin for my migraines. They were so much worse and more frequent when I was pregnant. My neurologist also told me not to take fioricet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've dealt with this exact same issue, I suffer from chronic migraines and also have a 3 y/o. Since I can't take my normal migraine medication I was taking Tylenol, until I read the ADD study. Someone told me to try peppermint oil on my temples, I didn't have it at home so I rubbed some Children's vicks  on my temples since it contains eucalyptus oil, and it really worked! I lay down, smell and rub some childrens vicks on my temples and lay down with my feel elevated and try to relax. It does help alot. Once in a while I take 1 tylenol when its absolutely necessary and follow that with the vicks. I'm not sure if it will fully work for you, but its worth a try.
  • Cchewning said:
    jgbennick said:
    My OB prescribed me BUTALBITAL-APAP-CAFFEINE 50-325-40 MG. The way I understand it is that it is similar to Excedrin Migraine (which works wonders for me) but without Aspirin. He did ask if I had Aura or not. When I said only twice in 15 years of migraines, he gave me this. I think it's meant for tension headaches, but it's doing the trick. I'm sure your doctor can find something like this for you.
    Yes this is fioricet I believe! I'm curious about the aura question though- I always have it.
    There is Aspirin-free Excedrin on the market, and my midwife suggested it. Have you tried it?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• I have not tried that excedrin! I'll have to look into it, thanks!
  • Well Tylenol doesn't help my migraines. I don't have them often, but when I do they are complex migraines and they are awful. I had one for about 2 days recently and either it just finally ran its course or that silly looking thing on pinterest where you put frozen peas on your head and stick your hands and feet in hot water actually works....

Well, actually I didn't do that for long, but I realized that an "ice pack" on the head feels good and left it there for a while then took one last nap and woke up able to function.
  • lhbird87 said:
    Well Tylenol doesn't help my migraines. I don't have them often, but when I do they are complex migraines and they are awful. I had one for about 2 days recently and either it just finally ran its course or that silly looking thing on pinterest where you put frozen peas on your head and stick your hands and feet in hot water actually works....

Well, actually I didn't do that for long, but I realized that an "ice pack" on the head feels good and left it there for a while then took one last nap and woke up able to function.
    This is funny. My neurologist told me at my last apt to sit in a hot bath up to my belly button but not get anything above it wet (including my hands), and it will help to increase circulation.
  • This is so helpful! I was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to take anything for my migraines and headaches! I have had chronic headaches and migraines since high school so once I found out I was pregnant, I was pretty terrified that once I got one that I'd basically be screwed and have to suffer. But, I don't know if its the fact that I've been drinking a LOT more water, or these crazy hormones are actually helping, but I have only had one relatively painless headache since becoming pregnant. I'm still going to ask my OB about these drugs though! Just in case :)
  • Tylenol does nothing for my migraines. Its like pissing on a house fire. My drs advice was to hold on til 2nd tri and we may be able to do fioricet. I normally use a combo of vicodin and tiger balm (and he said both are a nono)

I cant lie down usually as my crazy active 4 year old usually wont allow it. I try to get her to watch a movie so we can be mellow. I use either an ice pack or a heating pad (rice bag) on my neck (depending on what seems to work that day) and i have a coke, Lavender aroma therapy also helps a little.
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • what was the preventative your dr recommended during pregnancy for your migraines?
  • I have suffered with migraines and vertigo for the past 10 years and was taking an as-needed medication, that worked fairly well, up until I became pregnant.  The first few weeks of my pregnancy my headaches almost disappeared, but they have come back in full force.  I have migraines that last a week at a time and this latest one has been about a week and a half.  I've tried maybe 3 tylenol, but since it's never worked before I don't see a point in taking them.  I've seen chiropractors, neurologists, dentists (teeth grinding) and really feel that it's a guessing game. Everyone is different and there isn't a cure. I think it's important to stay hydrated and eat regularly. Exercise and yoga ease some of the pain for me.  I just don't feel comfortable taking strong medications while pregnant. 
  • Ice pack at the base of my skull and calm/mellow/quiet is what works for me. Ideally I'd be able to ice my neck/skull and pass out, but with 2 boys that's not usually possible. Thankfully my boys are old enough to watch a movie and understand that unless they REALLY need something, they need to let mommy rest on the couch. (I stay in the room with them, too paranoid to leave them alone in the living room unsupervised)

• I get them too. Hemiplegic migraines. My OB prescribed Tylenol 3 during my 1st pregnancy and I have yet to take it (during pregnancy) because the thought of it makes me nervous. I usually drink 20 oz of mountain dew when I start going blind and that seems to help a bit. Then I lay down in a dark room.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • I use deep blue doterra essential oil.  It is a natural non-medication relief for my migraines
  • Since I got migraines prior to being pregnant and excedrin was the only OTC med that worked, I had to switch to something else since my Dr. recommended no aspirin.  She suggested a low dose of percocet only when necessary.  It was safer to take during my pregnancy and was safer than any other painkiller she could prescribe.  Caffine also helps a bit, but talk to your Dr. about prescribing something that works better for you, she will be more than happy to suggest something else.
  • Excedrin was not okay to take according to my Dr. suggestions because of the aspirin, wait to take that until after birth since it could cause low birth rate and your heart to not function properly during labor.  Althought it is a lifesaver outside of being pregnant!
  • Make sure you are eating frequently enough. In the beginning of my pregnancy I got a lot of headaches (almost every day), and then I realized the only thing that made me feel better was eating a little more frequently. I haven't gotten a headache since.:) Maybe give it a try?
  • ElanflachElanflach member
    edited October 2014
    In my case a bit of caffeine does the trick, half a glass of coke or a few sips of coffee really help. I'm not a coffee drinker and only use it medicinally. Bit afraid to use normal hard core chemical medicine.
  • My migraines have increased with this pregnancy.. My dr. Told me I could still take my fioricet... but ive been trying to take tylenol when possible! Also I use cold compresses on my forehead and try to sleep it off!!
  • If you want to try some non-medication options, my friend who is a doula suggested acupuncture and said she sends lots of pregnant women dealing with headaches to acupuncture. My midwife also suggestion I rub peppermint oil on my temples (my headaches are in the front) as another way to ease the pain. Hang in there! I had 16 migraines in 14 days a couple weeks ago and it was rough. They seem to be tapering off...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"