2nd Trimester

Dentist Work While Pregnant

One of my teeth cracked this weekend and I'm in horrible, horrible pain.  I'm 14 weeks pregnant and not sure what is ok to have done at the Dentist and what isn't.  I don't have my next OB appt until the 26th and CANNOT wait until that appointment to ask her what is okay.  I need to have this tooth fixed ASAP! What is and isn't ok for a dentist to do while pregnant?  I know this isn't a medical board but any advice would help greatly!! Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dentist Work While Pregnant

• Ask the dentist. They will know what is ok for them to do with a pregnant woman. I know x-rays are out, but they will know best about any pain meds they may need to use and what's ok.
  • The dentist should know what is safe.  Also if you are unsure about any procedure they want to do call you dr during the day, they should put you through to a nurse and they can tell you what is safe or not.

• Loading the player...
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    2nd and 3rd trimester to a certain week is ok. They will probably do one focal X-ray but not a panorama. They did one X-ray right in the trouble area and double padded my belly.

I had a cracked tooth they ended up pulling and got several cavities fixed last baby. The bacteria out of my mouth was safer than leaving it.

They know what is allowed and what is not and which meds you can have.
  • Thanks ladies! When I call to make an appointment tomorrow I'll just make sure they know I'm pregnant. :)

• Sorry to hear about your tooth pain!  If you've cracked the tooth it may be restorable with a filling, crown or maybe you'll need an extraction (tooth pulled).  Sometimes the dentist will just smooth the tooth for you and wait and see if it feels any better.  The second trimester is the best time for elective and emergency care. 

They will likely do one or two radiographs- just mention you are pregnant and they will use one (or more) lead aprons to shield the radiographs.  Anesthesia with Lidocaine is safe (category B) to get you nice and numb to have whatever work you'll need done.  Just no nitrous (laughing gas). 

How do I know this? I'm a dentist!  And if it were me, I would feel totally comfortable receiving care during second tri. 

Good luck! :)

Married 08.11.2012
    BFP 12.20.2013
    EDD 09.02.2014

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• I recently had to get some dental worked that involved numbing the gums. My dentist did ask for a note from my OB saying what numbing medications were allowed, since there are so many options.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Call the dentist's and ask. I had to go in a few weeks ago with tooth/gum pain. Instead of doing a full set of Xrays they took one of just the tooth in question after putting two of the lead vests over my belly. The dentist clearly laid out what she wanted to do and why and gave me a couple of options on things. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • As everyone else has said, talk eith your dentist. I had to have x- rays done (they used2 vests and an additional pad on my stomach.) And also had to have a cavity filled. They gave me two shots of novicane but absolutely no "laughing gas". I hate the feeling the gas gives me so I was happy about that. however the novicane shots hurt like a mother. Shots dont bother me at all but those did. My mouth was sore for about a week after so just be prepared for that part of it.
  • Your dentist should know what is allowed. And when in doubt give your OB's office a call.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• i had a couple cavities filled around 12-14 weeks and so far so good....i even had the gas to calm me down a little...i get so anxious when i go to the dentist:( 
  • I had a ton of dental work done when I was pregnant. It started when I needed a tooth pulled and we continued on to cleanings and fillings. They know how to take care of you.
  • I have an inlay that cracked on one of my back molars -- dentist said we would wait until after baby comes because not urgent. however, as stated above by lots of wise ladies, its a case-by-case basis and the dentist will definitely know what they can and can't do so no need to wait for OB appointment. If you want to be sure, you can also just give your OB a call once you get your dentist's recommendation to confirm, particularly if the recommendation involves anesthetia, etc. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I had my teeth done when I was 15\16 weeks. They couldn't pull out the two teeth I had asked because of the anesthesia. They were able to do fillings and cleaning perfectly fine. I also didn't get an X-Ray done either, the doctor just looked at my teeth. I think It depends on where you go to have them done. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • roxyuroxyu member
    I just had this same problem.  My OB sent over a consent form to have a single xray and filling.  The dentist said sometimes a filling helps strengthen a cracked tooth to help ease the pain.  He said they would not want to do a crown or root canal until late in the second trimester at the earliest, but would prefer to wait until after birth.  I also switched to Sensodyne toothpaste and I am able to eat normal again (minor discomfort on occasion, but not bad at all).  My dentist's wife is a midwife so he was very familiar with the dos and dont's.

photo b56c04be-4eeb-442e-afb5-397708ea1118.jpg

• I just got back from getting two fillings this morning. I decided getting it done while I had the time and not while dealing with an infant was my best bet. Plus I didn't want anything getting worse and ending up with a much bigger procedure.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I am a dental assistant. X-rays are safe for you while you are prego, don't listen to anyone. The dosage of radiation is so small it won't even make a difference. Go in ASAP, you could be causing more issues by not getting it looked at, like infection.
    You just let them know that you are prego and they will take care of you accordingly. I am pregnant and am around X-rays all day. I just have a little button that records my levels of radiation that I send in each month and so far I'm totally fine.
    You can usually get almost any dental work done while you are pregnant, they just use different anesthetic, and you CANNOT use nitrous. It can cause miscarriages.
    Hope this helps! Go in right away!! :)
  • Also, if it's a large enough crack, you will need a crown, not a filling. Fillings are great for small cavities, but if the tooth is fractured enough, a filling simply won't hold long term.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"