Birth Stories

Things don't always go according to plan

Even though I posted on my BMB and the Pregnant Over 35 board, I am also posting my birth story here. When I was pregnant I would check this board regularly for new stories, so here is mine.

My original birth plan was to have LO at the hospital, delivered by an OB, vaginal delivery with an epidural. I also planned on having DH and my mom with me during labor but only DH, OB, and a nurse in room when it came time to push.

On March 12th I woke up at 3:00 am with contractions 3 minutes apart and bloody discharge (found out later it was my bloody show). Arrived at L&D at 4:00 am and was 3 cm dilated, 60% effaced. Contractions sped up quick to the point they were back to back and they were super painful. Luckily I was able to get my epidural by 7:30 am. By 11:00 am I was 8 cm 100% effaced and by 1:00 pm I was ready to start pushing. Of course just my luck, my epidural started to wear off when it came time for me to push. It still was taking the edge off but I was definitely feeling the contractions. My water hadn't yet broken so my OB broke it and some merconium came out as well so I was informed they would need to have a NICU nurse present for delivery since they would try to keep LO from crying immediately in order to suction him first to prevent ingestion of merconium. When I heard this I started to get scared so I asked DH if he minded if my mom stayed in the delivery room. He was totally fine with that so she stayed. My OB also had 2 students with him throughout my labor & delivery. So instead of this intimate setting I had hoped for I now had 8 people gathering around me for the pushing stage.

At this point LO was at -1 station and after an hour and a half of pushing was not progressing down much. His heart rate was also dropping with every push so they believed the cord was wrapped around his neck. They didn't want to stress him further so they advised me that an emergency C-section would need to be completed. I immediately began crying, not only out of the fear of surgery but also scared for my baby due to the heart rate decels. Everyone was super comforting and assured me this was the best thing for me and baby.

If I thought there were a lot of people in the delivery room that was nothing compared to the operating room. The number of people had to double. I must say my anesthesiologist was the best! I have heard stories of C sections where women say they feel a ton of pressure when the baby is being removed. I can honestly say I felt nothing. I was completely numb from the neck down. I seriously didn't even know they had started and the next thing I was hearing my baby boy crying.

My son, Luke Robert was born at 3:42 pm. He weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs. 5 oz. and 21 inches long. After seeing what a big boy he is I'm kinda glad I ended up with the C-section. I think he would have wreaked havoc on my nether regions, lol. I couldn't be more in love with him!

I wanted to post my story for everyone to see that although things don't always go as planned, it's all about what is best at the time for mom and baby. If things don't go according to plan at your delivery don't be too hard on yourself and trust in your support team.

Melissa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Things don't always go according to plan

• So happy everything turned out great... You little man is precious!

Me 35, DH 36
    TTC summer 2008
    Diagnose me. DOR, DH perfect
    IUI # 1 6/2010, BFN
    IUI # 2 8/2010, BFN
    IVF # 1 10/2010 Canceled poor response
    IVF 1.2 12/2010 BFP! mc 6 weeks 2 days
    Mental health break for 10 months
    IVF # 2 10/2011 BFN
    IVF # 3 5/2012 BFP! 10 eggs retrieved (best ever)
    7 fertilized transferred 3
    Beta #1 14dpo - 72, Beta #2 17dpo 145 Beta 3 20dpo 521
    First u/s June 15 saw HB 126 bpm missed m/c 7/5/12 10 weeks D&C 7/6/12
    IVF#4 ER 9/30 ET 10/3 Beta 10/16 BFFN. IVF #5 final with o/e. ER 1/21 only 1 retrieved, hoping my lonestar is the one. Beta #1 2/6/13 = 209.... please let this be it! Keep growing lonestar! Beta #2 2/8/13 - 586! , Beta #3 2/10/13 = 1898. First u/s perfect little heart beat at 116 bpm. Measure 6 weeks 1 day. EDD 10/14/13
    3/4/13 measuring right on track beautiful heartbeat 171 bpm, graduated from RE to OB... bittersweet.
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome! Its a girl! 

Maggie Grace is here!  10/5/13... 8lbs 6 ounces of pure joy!

TTC#2  No birth control since DD was born.  Getting ready to jump back in the saddle.  Weaning this month. RE
    appt scheduled 5/8.   Here we go again!

IFV# 6.  10/27  6 retrieved 4 mature 3 fertilized.  2 made it to 3dt 10/30. 1"very pretty 8 cell" and 1 6 cell.  Beta
    11/13.   Please stick embies!!!!  We love you so much already! 11/12/14  POAS, BFP... beta tomorrow!
    11/13 beta #1  924!!!  2nd bet 11/15 1906, one more on 11/17 3rd & final beta 3430.  First u/s 12/5, 7w4d, 2 heartbeats,
    both measuring right on track....2nd u/s... all is well... both beans measuring right on track... released from RE... first
    appointment with MFM 1/5.  Looks like this is really happening!

• He is so cute. Birth stories always make my preggo ass cry
  • Loading the player...
  • Was the cord wrapped around his neck?
  • This. This is one of my biggest fears. Emergency c section. I'm so glad to hear you didn't feel a thing during surgery and that it went well! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • I had pretty much the same thing happen to me, only the beginning of my labor didn't go very fast at all.  Little girl had the cord wrapped around her feet, there was meconium in my bag of waters and I ended up with an emergency c-section.  My anesthesiologist was awesome, I happen to work at the hospital where I delivered so I knew I was in great hands. 

I did feel some pressure when they pulled baby girl out, but other than that I didn't feel a thing.  My daughter was 8lbs, 6oz and 21 1/2 inches long. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"