1st Trimester

How do you work while pregnant?

2»

Re: How do you work while pregnant?

• Between this thread and the OP's fear-mongering mahi mahi thread, the OP clearly lives in a world of constant fear and anxiety. It's gotta be exhausting worrying so much about everything.

And yet holding her breath for her diving career is totes safe and the baby won't mind.
  • Yeah, you can expect to get thrown up on if you are a nurse or doctor, but again, there should be precautions taken to deal with bodily fluids, whether you are pregnant or not. And I would not expect a teacher to get regularly thrown up on (the example used in the OP), that should not be just a normal expectation of the job. 
    You think our only fear is getting thrown up on? I've gotten a right hook in the jaw by a hypoxic patient, threatened with a knife by another patient, had a patient say they'd be back with a gun to kill us all, et cetera... and I work in an ambulatory cancer research clinic. You know nothing, Jon Snow.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • I worked when I was pregnant with my first (actually went into labor at work) and I did fine. But, I didn't have the ms I do now. I look at it as I look at being a SAHM now. You have to do what you have to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is not easy. I'm a preschool teacher and it gets harder every single day! Plus all of the germs! I just try to eat small healthy snacks throughout the day and keep my vitamin C up. I stay very hydrated and wash my hands very, very often and use gloves when applicable!
  • I haven't been sick or nauseous once so that certainly helps.  I get a little tired sometimes in the afternoon but it's not the end of the world.  Mostly my boobs hurt and I'm thirsty a lot so that doesn't interfere with my desk job.  I haven't told anyone yet - just wear cardigans and scarves to hide my pooch.  If there was someone here that was really sick I'd avoid them but they tend to stay home when contagious.  Guess I should count myself lucky.  Although I'd really rather not work at all ; )
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am with you OP.  I get so worn out in the afternoon and that is also when my stomach gets upset with me.  By 3 I am laying down.  I don't work and I just have to applaud those who do. This is my first pregnancy and I am already ready for this alien to leave my body.  Hats to you ladies who work full time.
  • I just do it. Each day my alarm goes off at 6:30 so I roll out of bed and get ready for work. I work 9-5 and then I come home.  It's my job and just because I am pregnant doesn't mean I get a "free pass" on being a slacker and not do my job. 

As for the flu.... you get the flu shot. You walk by hundreds of people every day outside of work if you ever go to the grocery store, mall, fill your car up with gas, etc. So why the heck would you only be worried about being around people at work?  Also, unless you plan on living in a box wrapped in bubble wrap for the next 7-9 months you are going to be exposed to something. 

FYI.... I am pregnant I didn't lose my damn brain and legs still work just like before too! Shocking, I know! 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Yaz14Yaz14 member
    I'll be working probably up until I'm about 8 months pregnant or at the very least 7 months. I've told my boss and co-workers. We're all very close friends and have that kind of relationship with each other so them knowing isn't a problem. They've been great, really supportive without treating me like I'm an invalid. I am worried about getting sick during winter, especially since I work with kids. I'm just going to have to take extra care of myself I think. I'm already hyper vigilant when it comes to washing and sanitizing!

Me(24) DH(26)/Married since March 2013
    BFP#1 February 18th 2014/EDD October 27th/MMC discovered at 10w/D&C April 7th 
    BFP#2 July 24th 2014/EDD April 4th 2015/Please be our RAINBOW!
  • I'm very fortunate to have someone take care of me at home. I work from 8:30 to 5 managing teachers, doing admin work, teaching, and counselling students. I'm exhausted by the end of the day. Being the first trimester, I'm hoping that I'll have a better next trimester. I'm reading awesome threads to get help on with everything I'm going through, mostly nausea at the moment. I'm appreciative of my manager who has approved for me to have less of a teaching course load temporarily to catch up on things I've missed in the past few weeks. For the moment, I don't need anyone else at work to know I'm pregnant.

For me, I know I couldn't work the same way as before, to the same standard. Definitely making myself heard and asking for a bit of help was something I needed.
  • Why wouldn't we work? I'm a Senior VP at a Fortune 50 company and feel invigorated by my career. On days that I do work from home, I feel sluggish, fatigued and overall cranky. I think the stimulation of work and interacting with colleagues is what gives me more energy. Now, by 6pm- I'm ready for bed and don't feel guilty pushing the chores onto my husband. He appreciates my hard work and doesn't mind picking up the slack while I'm pregnant. I also think it's especially important to show my daughter that women don't need to give up a career just to be a mother. The two are not mutually exclusive and most progressive thinking people are of this same mindset! I worked hard to get where I'm at professionally and have to work that much harder to be a good parent. As a result, I get to relish in the two things I'm most proud of- my family and my career! 
  • awc1986awc1986 member
    edited March 2014
    Another vote here for the "go to work, work, go home" method. I had times in 1st tri when I felt like death but I went in, worked and went home, which is hard to do when you're keeping it a secret. Now in 3rd tri I just make sure I take regular breaks, so I don't get too uncomfortable.

My current motto is "I'm pregnant, not disabled". People act like i shouldn't be doing anything at all and show concern when i carry a bag of shopping. You learn your limits, but do ask for help if you need it. If you partner half-heartedly volunteers to wash up, say "ok"! Don't be a martyr.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• I just joined today and geez some of the members are harsh! I'm finally pregnant due to modern medicine - medications and double IUI and I do find it very challenging to work. It was such a hard journey getting to the 7 weeks that I'm at now and it's very distracting because I can't tell anyone but I have ms and extreme fatigue. It's also hard to concentrate any time I feel something because I tend to over worry...for good reason. The original post was a hats off to all of us working full time not anything derogatory. Anyway I consider myself a pretty successful career woman and having good work ethic. I would not think anything less of myself if I need extra care during this time and in fact under ADA pregnancy could be a temporary disability and is a protected class. Hope to participate in more supportive forums going forward! ;p
  • I slap on my sea band, eat saltines and just keep moving.

• atmaloney said:

I get up, go to work, stand for 8 hours a day, deal with people all day, sick & healthy, run around like a chicken with my head cut off, & then come home. and do it another 4x that week. 

^^wss

I have no time to pity myself as I have people I have to take care of.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CourtMomOf1CourtMomOf1 member
    edited March 2014
    I'm still pretty early in my first trimester, thinking about 6 weeks... I haven't felt that bad, other than being tired, but that's not uncommon for me. It actually helps me to work and stay busy, that way I'm not obsessing over every little thing and stay preoccupied with other things. 

*edit to add* Oh, and with my DD1 I worked the entire time until I had her as well. I was pretty miserable in my first trimester with her because of my gallbladder, but I would've been in pain at home, too. So again, it was nice to try and stay busy and keep my mind off of it best I could. 
  • :::double tap:::

Zombie thread!!! :P

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My manager (only the two of us work in the office) figured it out by my sudden healthy eating habits (I was a junk food junkie before the BFP), so she knows that when I think I may revisit my breakfast to leave me alone for a little while. I also teach dance class 4 nights a week. Luckily, the studio owner knows as well so I have a little lee way if I need to take an evening off or need to take a break between classes. I have good days and I have bad days. Just counting down the weeks until 2nd trimester when hopefully all this queasiness is gone. And I can finally tell all my little dancers, too!! :-D
    BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm still pretty early into my pregnancy but I did take a little snooze at my desk earlier this week.  LOL!  Now that the lighting in our office is fixed I feel more energized though.  Thankfully I haven't had to deal with morning sickness:) 

• My wife requested to work from home more often as pregnancy advances. Get a company laptop and login to the company's network.
  • I work in a medical field.  I had to tell my boss asap.  Because there are patients I don't want to be around or touch.  It's part of the rules and guidelines of working at the hospital.  As far as fatigue and such, I don't know.  I haven't had any problems with any of that, thus far.  ::knock on wood::  Now keeping the secret part to the others at work, is not that easy.  =)  We'll see how long I can last!

• I threw up every single day for 7 months while pregnant and still worked until I went into labor at 40 weeks. 

I love my career.  It is enjoyable and challenging.  Being sick was awful, but these kinds of questions are ridiculous to me.  Life does not cease b/c someone gets knocked up.  I have a responsibility with my job and I take it seriously.  Period. 

And I'm not someone who "has to" work.  I like it. 

• @laurendag - Damn it!  I didn't realize it was a dead thread!  Who's the loser???? This girl. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"