Nurseries and Baby Gear

Crib Bumpers

Are you using one? Got one from Pottery Barn that I love - but having internal struggle whether or not to use it.

Re: Crib Bumpers

• I used one with all my three kids and I felt comfortable because they were thin (PBK ones are thinner) and I made sure they were properly tied on.  They do have breathable ones too. It is all about preference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • we didn't..i didn't ever have the use for a breathable one either.
  • I won't be using mine until baby is older. Usually around 9-12 months, babies get their limbs stuck between the slats, and it's generally safe to put them back in around that time. Bumpers are a bigger risk when they are thick and pillowy, when babies can't roll over and lift their heads, and when there is no air circulation in the crib. Use your best judgment, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them in until they are older. 

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • We added them last week at 10.5 months old.  After a longggg stretch of illness and teeth (4 in 2 weeks) and travel we hadn't had her in her crib for like 6 weeks.  Then wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Anyways, part of a huge transition back into the crib was adding the bumers someone had given us, that we had no use for.

It helped, she is now in crib for all naps and in the evening.

I'll note she is not a climber so I don't have concerns of her using them to get out of the crib.  I lie her down awake, she puts herself to sleep where I put her.  She wakes 2hrs later and lies there talking until I come get her.  She can sit, crawl, stand, cruise but done none of that in the crib. 

We also have a video monitor so should she decide to someday get up and play I can see if she is up to no good.  I have no concerns using them at this age.  But we didn't use anything but a fitted sheet prior to now.

• I put firm bumpers in my sons crib at 15 months. He was hitting his head all the time in the crib. He is cozy now and loves them. I made them with pockets so we put books in there for him.

I think if you have your kid in a sleep sack so they can't climb out, bumpers can be a nice addition to the crib bedding once SIDS risk is over.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• I use them once LO hits a year. They keep the pacifiers and the legs in the crib!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• We got one from Restoration Hardware and it is currently in the crib because 1) It completes the room; 2) Baby won't be in there for a while so why not have it look nice if you don't mind spending the $ on one?; 3)  I plan on seeing how DD does in the crib.  If she ends up smacking her head or getting stuck, then the bumpers will go in the crib with her.    
  • i've been struggling with this as well.  i bought the PB kids one with the elephants on it. i've decided to use it in the beginning, take it out when baby starts rolling, then putting it back later when much older

TTC#2
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No bumpers for us because of SIDs risk and when they are older they use them to hoist themselves up and over the side of crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Mimaloo said:
    We got one from Restoration Hardware and it is currently in the crib because 1) It completes the room; 2) Baby won't be in there for a while so why not have it look nice if you don't mind spending the $ on one?; 3)  I plan on seeing how DD does in the crib.  If she ends up smacking her head or getting stuck, then the bumpers will go in the crib with her.    
    I am a sucker and got a beautiful Restoration Hardware one too just cause it completes the room.  I'll keep baby in a rock n play for awhile most likely in our room, but I'd like the bumper up for newborn/nursery photos out of vanity.  I probably won't use it until the baby is about a year old or so...or maybe I'll just sell it on ebay.  What's interesting is that my son started daycare at 7 weeks and they used bumpers right away for all of their babies.  I guess cause they were under constant supervision, they felt comfortable doing this.
  • No.  They're unsafe.  I bought the quilt and crib skirt on ebay but the quilt won't even be used until after LO is over one year old.  When we decide to move him into his crib (he'll be in our room for the first 6 months or so), it'll just be him on the mattress.  
    ~Jessica~ 

• CK2MD said:

bcnoelle said:

What's interesting is that my son started daycare at 7 weeks and they used bumpers right away for all of their babies.  I guess cause they were under constant supervision, they felt comfortable doing this.
    Wow, personally, this would be a deal-breaker for me. The APA has a pretty strongly worded recommendation against crib bumpers. Just because DC workers are awake (unlike parents at home) and in the same room as sleeping LOs does not mean they are watching them sleep. This would also make me wonder what other non-recommended practices they have.

Wouldn't think be against dcfs rules? I thought the sides had to be clear and they seem to have strict guidelines on how they even put kids down in a crib. I can't believe dcfs allows bumpers
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I put the bumper in the crib when DD was just shy of a year old.  She wasn't STTN and was getting stuck in between the crib slats.  She's 18 months now and loves to use them to prop her feet up when she lays on her back (weirdo ;) )  They will stay in the crib until she figures out how to crawl out of the crib.

I didn't use them when she was younger because of the recommendations.  I bought breathable mesh ones to use when DD2 comes....just in case.
    BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
    BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
    BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
    BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

• LadyMacaronLadyMacaron member
    edited February 2014
    I won't be using mine until baby is older. Usually around 9-12 months, babies get their limbs stuck between the slats, and it's generally safe to put them back in around that time. Bumpers are a bigger risk when they are thick and pillowy, when babies can't roll over and lift their heads, and when there is no air circulation in the crib. Use your best judgment, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them in until they are older. 
    No, it's not. That's the age babies start pulling to stand, and can use the bumpers as leverage to climb up and fall out of the crib. 
    I was only referring to the SIDS risk. I had to do a huge research paper on SIDS and the back to sleep campaign, and honestly, bumpers were more responsible for suffocation (hence the loose sheets, etc) and not really a huge link to SIDS, specially at around a year of age. Somehow the US has become convinced that SIDS and suffocation are the same thing, which they arent', and now we know that there may be a brain link to explain Sudden Infant Death Syndrome...Obviously, kids do learn to climb, etc, but I am using a movement monitor so he'll be supervised. Hey, my best friend's kid climbed out of a window from his toddler bed and he had no bumpers or anything...

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • ebp913ebp913 member
    edited February 2014
    I put mine back in around 7 or 8 months.  My son was the WORST sleeper ever and I was desperate for anything to get him to sleep in the crib.  He seemed to calm down a bit after that and started sleeping better so I went with it. Of course I don't know that the bumpers actually had anything to do with it or not but like I said, I would have tried about anything.  I took them out after he threw up on them and haven't put them back yet because I'm lazy.  

I would have rather skipped them all together but babies that don't sleep get to you sometimes. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • PB102012PB102012 member
    edited February 2014
    I am the minority, but we have PBK bedding, including a bumper.

• We have used bumpers since about 6 months, when DD began to crawl. And ours are so thin that when she stands on them, they just fold, they can't be used to jump out do the crib. No concerns here and I'm sure I'll use them with #2 as well.

• We used the breathable one and will again. I felt totally safe with it. We got some beautiful ones as a gift and they are still in the packaging in our garage. I may put them on when we change my DD's bed into a toddler/day bed but not until then. 
  • Never used bummpers on any of my kids and never will. Irs just not worth the possible risk IMO. We did take the bumper that came with my sons crib set and when he got much bigger we used it as a teething rail cover . It works great . Still get the look and get to use the cute bumper but its safe.
  • The one I registered for is mesh.  If we end up not using it...we can use it for something else.
  • Probably mesh, if any at all
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • Until the baby has head control, solid bumpers are a suffocation hazard. We never used bumpers and this is why: we would much rather wake up to a baby that got an arm or leg stuck in the crib slats or even a broken arm or leg because they got stuck in the slats than go in their room and find them dead.
  • Echoing the above, I will definitely not be using a bumper of any kind. Not worth the risk...
  • I bought an adorable one - then read the safety warnings - and sigh... only got to use it for pictures hahaha.
    --------------
    PCOS , incompetent cervix, gestational diabetes, IVF graduate, with one ovary!
    1 angel baby due to a 20 week M/C thanks to IC
    1 ovary due to a benign tumor that crushed my ovary
    About 6 years of pointlessly POAS
    Proud mommy of a 2.5 year old  girl
    Currently pregnant with baby #2 surprise BFP -  Team Blue until proven otherwise

• No way!!  I am all about the nursery looking cute - but not at the expense of safety!  There's a serious suffocation risk associated with them so why risk it?  I bought the breathable ones since I read that they can have their faces right up to them and still breathe right through it. 
  • jksearsjksears member
    edited February 2014
    We originally weren't going to, but my almost 5 month-old wakes up screaming at night because he is so mobile now that he gets his legs stuck in the crib bars. He also had a bruise on his head because he head bangs to go to sleep. Now he can head bang to his hearts content. It's a personal choice though. My parents and my in-laws always used them with us growing up (that's 9 kids) and we were all fine. Just use common sense and make sure to tie them on tightly and correctly! :)
  • i use 2 big pregnancy pillows and stuff them between the crib bars it works even better then the crib bumper! (use them untill your chiled is 11 months and then see how they do
  • i use 2 big pregnancy pillows and stuff them between the crib bars it works even better then the crib bumper! (use them untill your child is 11 months and then see how they do)

• mjreilly2 said:
    i use 2 big pregnancy pillows and stuff them between the crib bars it works even better then the crib bumper! (use them untill your chiled is 11 months and then see how they do
    This sounds so incredibly dangerous—not even remotely safe.
    I think it's a joke....I think.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • i used them for both my children and had no issues at all.  I took them out once they were able to stand on them in an attempt to escape their cribs. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited March 2014
    I didn't use one until I had DD#2 and it's mesh. My kids are in a Pack N' Play in my room until at least 6 months, so there's really no need for them. I only put it in there because my kids have all had turkey drumstick legs and get them stuck and DD likes to hang her foot through the bars when she's going to sleep (she's such a weirdo). So it gives her something to rest her foot on and it gives me peace of mind because she won't get stuck and its breathable.
  • Peanutz21 said:

i've been struggling with this as well.  i bought the PB kids one with the elephants on it. i've decided to use it in the beginning, take it out when baby starts rolling, then putting it back later when much older

Same for me, and I got the same
    one -- so cute!
  • My son is almost 2. I didn't use one at first, but added one when he was almost a year. There was one spot he kept getting his foot stuck through, and would scream until someone came to get it unstuck. The bumper prevented this from happening, and everyone was much happier. (He doesn't have it anymore. His feet are now too big to push through the crib.)

So, if anyone is torn about whether or not to use one, maybe hold off until they're a little older, and SIDS isn't a risk anymore. Just wait and see if your child needs one as he/she becomes more active in their crib when they're awake.
  • I used them with both kids. Cosleeping can be just as dangerous or more so yet people don't judge for that on the bump.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I used them with both kids. Cosleeping can be just as dangerous or more so yet people don't judge for that on the bump.
    That's the dumbest justification I've heard. It's right up there with "well, our parents used them for us and we survived!"

I am not trying to justify my use of bumpers. I am simply stating it's ridiculous that no one on the bump gets judged for co-sleeping which has just as high a suffocation risk but on the bump it's "the thing to do".

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"