3rd Trimester

Circumcision? I am having a baby boy.

2»

Re: Circumcision? I am having a baby boy.

• Also what's with the "boys are dirty" attitude?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• KC_13 said:
    I am dumbfounded that someone thinks that circumcisiom helping reduce hiv infection as a myth and lol at psychology today being linked as a legitimate research site. I think Wikipedia is more reputable. Op, if you want some real science to help with your decision, here ya go. Good luck with your decision. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/prevention_research_malecircumcision.pdf

I think people miss the point where the studies done were in Africa. It is a much bigger issue there. They don't have access to condoms and whatnot for safe sex. They don't get to bathe like we do. In the United States it is pretty much a non-issue.

Done! If this is a boy, I will circ just in case of the zombie or other apocalypse and there are no showers or condoms.

I'm kidding, obviously, we are team green and haven't made a decision.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm going to say 'screw the facts' on this one, and go completely on personal experience: I've had two partners who were uncircumcised; the most disgusting and awful experiences ever. In both instances, sex happened once, and never again. The smell was... picture something that has been growing mould for at least 5 years. MOST boys have horrible hygiene to begin with in their teenage years. Sex is important in a relationship later in life. Reading through all of these posts.. I haven't seen one uncircumcised man comment. I think an important question is to find a man who isn't circumcised, ask the troubles (if any) he's had, along with sexual experiences. There's always going to be risks on either side. Hubby and I aren't finding out what were having, but we don't even need to discuss the issue. Many might see this view as somewhat 'materialistic' (like not dating someone because you don't think they're good looking), but it's still another side of the story that many haven't touched on. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut!

I have had great discussions with an uncircumcised man.......my husband.  I am not sure what the men you had experiences with were like but I know that is not the case with my husband (or the uncirced partners of female friends)  I don't think it matters one way or the other, some men are not as clean. 

For the OP,my husband feels very strongly about not having a circumcision done (if we have a son).  I had never thought about it before my husband because in the US it has been the norm to have it done.  I read one post online that talked about how bizzare an uncirced erect penis looks.  I highly doubt they have ever seen one because  erect, they look no different.  I do understand that there could be a difference amongst boy in locker rooms etc.  I am not as concerned with that because more and more parents are opting not to have it done.  Would I try to sway someone one way or another?  Absolutely not!  To me it is your child, your choice.  I have heard of botched circumcisions, and I have heard of it having to be done later in life.  It is a gamble either way.  The truth is you have no way of knowing.  Make the best choice for you and your child at the time.  If you still need input, talk to people you know with boys.  Ask what they feel the benefits of their choice was and ask if they had any problems.  These threads are most always a heated debate.  Good luck to you in whatever choice you make :)

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• Hahah great topic.
    I've seen a lot of penis's, only because I was a CNA when I was younger. So I have been instantly persuaded to cut the penis. No question in my mind :) Also nephew's have had a lot of issues with theirs and not cleaning properly. Young Boys and hygiene are a bit shaky.
    Some people say yeah or nay. It's all by choice, there's no wrong or right :)
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• I agree with joules235... In case anyone doesn't know, the only self cleaning organs on the human body are they eyes, and the vagina.... that's a real thing. Look it up.

I'm not even going to give my opinion on this thread though.... However, I will say that DS1 is circumcised and we will also have DS2 circumcised as well.

I haven't read all the comments on this thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned the "let them choose when they're older" option, but I will add that DH was given the option to choose if he wanted to be circumcised, which he did, and he said it was the worst most traumatizing experience of his life, next to losing his left nut to testicular cancer at age 17. (He got his circumcision done at age 11).

To eatch their own. There are plenty of circumcised and uncircumcised dick around. I don't get why a personal decision like this is such a controversial topic.
  • edited February 2014
    joules235 said:

An uncircumcised penis is a lot like a vagina. It's mostly self cleaning. It doesn't need it's own special cleaning regimen, regardless of stage of life. It's a cosmetic decision.

This is not entirely true. When a child is young and the foreskin hasn't retracted yet it is self cleaning because nothing is going to get in there. The foreskin is adhered to the glans.

Once the child gets older and the foreskin separates from the glans it does need to be retracted and cleaned in the shower/bath, or it will smell.

As for a special regimen there really isn't one. Before the foreskin retracts you only clean what is seen and after it retracts then you would retract the foreskin and clean the glans and inside of the foreskin as well.

I don't understand the whole "oh its so hard to teach kids to clean themselves" thing. I feel like handing any guy some soap and telling them to play with their penis in the shower isn't a hard sell...

Ya defiantly does not self clean! I've dated a uncircumcised guy and it was a must he had to clean it before otherwise I wouldn't go near him. Men sweat and it gets trapped in there.

Also as a cna as an 18-21 you are taught to pull the foreskin back and clean it. However no one ever did this and these poor old men had the worst infections from what was growing in there. Shivers
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• So as an eleven year old it was the worst experience of his life . . . So we should do it to tiny new born babies?

It's still a cosmetic decision.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So as an eleven year old it was the worst experience of his life . . . So we should do it to tiny new born babies?

It's still a cosmetic decision.

It was traumatizing because of the fact that he was old enough to remember it... he said he would have much rather had it done at a time when he would have no memory of it. Regardless though, he says he's 100% glad he had it done.
  • Except research shows that even though new borns don't have a conscious memory of it their brains are permanently changed by exposure to that kind of pain.

I'm not trying to be all intactivist, I truly think it's a personal decision, but I think the argument "do it before they can remember it hurts like a mf" is a weird one, especially since it's so often used to justify inadequate pain management during the procedure. 
  • I would say if your husband is do it, if he isn't don't. The reasoning is your son will feel very awkward if his is different than his fathers. No matter how much talking you give him and how much he says he understands it will always be a weird thought in his head about why he isnt like his dad
  • Ya defiantly does not self clean! I've dated a uncircumcised guy and it was a must he had to clean it before otherwise I wouldn't go near him. Men sweat and it gets trapped in there. Also as a cna as an 18-21 you are taught to pull the foreskin back and clean it. However no one ever did this and these poor old men had the worst infections from what was growing in there. Shivers
    SO you are saying, that we should circumsize our sons because the medical professionals that will be paid to take care of them will provide them inadequate care?  Good to know.

• How often do your son and your husband compare penises?
  • How often do your son and your husband compare penises?
    Hey now, they might be nudists!  You never know.
  • edited February 2014

I would say if your husband is do it, if he isn't don't. The reasoning is your son will feel very awkward if his is different than his fathers. No matter how much talking you give him and how much he says he understands it will always be a weird thought in his head about why he isnt like his dad

You spew nothing but bullshit don't you @mashedpotatoes?
  • We will be having my son circumcised. Part of this is because my first son was not, and now is facing a possible circumcision at 14 because of issues with his foreskin. This is not a "normal" complication or anything but still I feel bad for him and know it could have been prevented. Also, my DH is and he wanted him to be. I know men who are both ways and not a one has ever expressed upset at what their parents chose. So for piece of mind we will be. But it really is a personal choice. Do your research and definitely talk to your pediatrician.
  • Oh dear lord! Did you really have to drag this thread back to the top @flawedpottery? ::sigh::
  • NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Penis
    Penis
    Penis!!!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Both my father and brother were NOT circumcised at birth. Although,' both had to have very painful procedures later on in life to become circumcised due to medical reasons. My brother doesn't remember (he was 3) but my mom remembers the pain he was in and it was very difficult for her. My father was in his 30's and not so lucky as to not remember the pain. It is very painful if not done at birth.
    Now my husband is also not circumcised and has never had any issues although he has stated that he wished he had been and that if we have a boy then he would prefer that we do circumcise.
    So basically, I am making my decision based on the fact that there is a potential something done the road could happen based on family history on my side and also the preference of my DH. If there had been no issues on my side of the family then we probably wouldn't circumcise. It's a personal decision for everyone and should be discussed with your SO and your decision should be based on your discussions together, not what others say on the bump.
    Good luck OP!
    YCSWU
  • Guess what, if you do it at birth it's still just as painful.
  • When my boys were born, I just had them circumcised because that was the normal thing to do in our family. I never questioned it, or did any research. Honestly it doesn't bother me that they are circumcised, but I just wish I had done some research and made an informed decision about it. All I can say is read, read, read. And it looks like that's what you're doing. Good luck, Mama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"