1st Trimester
Options

Anyone else against the flu shot?

Re: Anyone else against the flu shot?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't normally get them, by choice. This year I was forced to by my employer, so I did.
    TTC since 5/13
    BFP 1/23 
    MMC 3/4
    D&C-3/12 
    Currently NTNP
  • Options
    Just a little FYI to the OP, I'm heading to the hospital now to see if what I have is the flu. It's really bad right now, my friend just got back her results from the ER and she had the h1n1 and she is just a few weeks behind me in pregnancy. God forbid something were to happen to her or her baby.

It's a BOY

• Options
    Meery82 said:

Jenny McCarthy is a moron. It's hard to believe anyone would've ever taken her seriously.

Did you know that she is now a spokesperson for e cigs?

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    AshleyC05 said:

I feel the same way... I am in my first trimester and decided back in September when we started trying that I wasn't going to get the flu shot.  I work in the human services field as a social worker, around many people, including children, every day.  This happens to be my own personal belief as well.  I have always gotten the flu shot in the past, but I'm not willing to inject something into my body that could potentially harm my unborn child.  I understand there are many clinical studies to prove that it is safe, however it's not 100%, which to me isn't good enough.  I also believe in hand washing, vitamin taking and an overall healthy lifestyle.  I applaud your decision to do what you believe is best for your children and yourself, and don't let others make you feel any differently!

Please tell me.. why would your obgyn tell you to get the flu shot if they knew I would harm your baby? I was just on hold today with wic and the automated service specifically said "if you haven't gotten the flu shot yet it is highly encouraged. ESPECIALLY if you're pregnant". You are harming your child more by not getting it.

It's a BOY

• Options
    vcl2008 said:

Jenny McCarthy is a moron. It's hard to believe anyone would've ever taken her seriously.
    Did you know that she is now a spokesperson for e cigs?

Ha, yes, I do remember seeing that now. Pathetic.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I late coming in, and haven't read all 5 pages.
    For what it's worth, my SIL is a Ob/Gyn, and Christmas Eve she almost lost a patient with the flu. They had to take the baby at 29 weeks to save the mom. She didn't have the flu shot. My SIL told me that 1 in 10 pregnant ladies will get the flu. It is harder for a pregnant woman's body to heal itself from the flu.
  • Options
    Can someone post a refresher on what pregnant women should look for in a flu shot? Like no mercury? No preservatives?

I know there were some helpful references on page 1 or 2.... but no one needs to rehash the ugly in this thread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Can someone post a refresher on what pregnant women should look for in a flu shot? Like no mercury? No preservatives?

I know there were some helpful references on page 1 or 2.... but no one needs to rehash the ugly in this thread.

Just the regular shot.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Dead virus only, no live virus.

And this thread was actually pretty tame I've seen MUCH worse on this very topic.  Education people.  Education rocks.

• Options
    I'll be honest - I'm a teacher and haven't gotten one in 7 years … HOWEVER my RE did say the likelihood of miscarrying after getting the flu is VERY high. Plus your immune system tends to weaken once you are pregnant. 

Two people I knew got the flu - so I sucked it up and went against my usual judgement and got the preservative free shot. I feel better that I did because I just read about a pregnant woman getting H1N1 while 20 weeks pregnant and the baby miscarried due to the high fever the mother had. 
    BFP 7/13 ended 9/13 MMC BFP 1/14 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    And round and round we go...

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    haliebabyx3haliebabyx3 member
    edited February 2014
    I believe that not getting the flu shot for you or your unborn child is selfish. I would rather me or my child have a mild case of the flu even if we got the shot than be in the hospital for weeks at a time fighting it. My H who claims he got sick every year that he would get it through work and he began to refuse it, got it this year because he understands the importance to me.

ETA: re-wording
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited February 2014
    It's 6 pages later and I'm still a little thrown off by the random multiple "hahas" in there when it's such  an inflammatory post.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    tkford216 said:

Wow, people are getting really mean about this.

Since most of the discussion is attacking you, I just thought I'd chime in and say that I don't believe in the flu shot either. This is not to say that I don't believe in vaccines at all. I think there are many helpful ones out there. However, the flu did not become an epidemic until everything became anti-bacterial and a vaccine was born for just about everything. I believe in building our immune systems the natural way. And I've seen enough people get horribly sick from the vaccine to ever think of getting it myself.

Don't bother trying to explain to me how the flu vaccine is great. It won't change my mind.

Congrats. You are an idiot.

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking.
  • Options
    Wow... the negativity in here really makes me wonder if this is a good outlet for pregnant women at all. Can we not be in a place and NOT attack one another? 
  • Options
    It's a personal choice. My sister in law never got a flu shot, neither did two or my friends who have healthy babies. Of the pregnant people I know right now, only one had a flu shot. It's a personal decision. 

I understand we all have raging hormones right now but attacking people and calling them idiots is really uncalled for. Anger and name calling never persuaded anyone.
  • Options
    Are you a doctor? 

I'm sorry I thought this was a board for pregnant women.

You may call name calling a "discussion", I do not. If in fact it IS a discussion, it is a very negative one.
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:
    tkford216 said:

Wow, people are getting really mean about this.

Since most of the discussion is attacking you, I just thought I'd chime in and say that I don't believe in the flu shot either. This is not to say that I don't believe in vaccines at all. I think there are many helpful ones out there. However, the flu did not become an epidemic until everything became anti-bacterial and a vaccine was born for just about everything. I believe in building our immune systems the natural way. And I've seen enough people get horribly sick from the vaccine to ever think of getting it myself.

Don't bother trying to explain to me how the flu vaccine is great. It won't change my mind.

Okay.  But I will bother saying that anti-bacterial is against bacteria and the flu is a virus.

So.  Science.

Not to mention common sense.
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Obviously I wish everyone nothing but the best health and smoothest of pregnancies no matter their choice.
  • Options
    Also, I apologize for not quoting, I am very new to this board and was just looking for some comfort, support and understanding in the beginning of my very first pregnancy.

I'm sorry.
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    Are you a doctor? 

I'm sorry I thought this was a board for pregnant women.

You may call name calling a "discussion", I do not. If in fact it IS a discussion, it is a very negative one.
    Then don't post here. Plain and simple. This is what happens in vaccine discussions. Every. Single. Time.
    Your kindness is overwhelming and welcoming to new members and newly pregnant women. Thank you.
  • Options
    Also, I apologize for not quoting, I am very new to this board and was just looking for some comfort, support and understanding in the beginning of my very first pregnancy.

I'm sorry.
    You can have whatever opinion you want. It doesn't make you right or mean it's a good choice.

Westboro Church is entitled to their opinions. It doesn't make them good people because in their opinion having the gay means they can cheer at your funeral that another friend of the gays has been smited from the Earth by God's divine will.

Ugh. Don't get me started on those fuckin people! X(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"