Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Chance of a lifetime??? (long)

OMG... so apparently DH's rich dad and stepmom are moving overseas for 1 year for work.  FIL called today and asked if we'd like to move into their house in Houston while they are gone...for the whole year.  That would mean  no rent to pay, no utilities, and we'd get to move from our ghetto philly townhome to a ridiculously nice house  with an elevator / pool etc.

It sounds like a no-brainer, right?  I mean we'd be living in luxury and could easily save up a house downpayment while there.  Right now we are barely scraping by.  But I'm torn because we'd be away from DS's other grandparents...my sister....our friends...for a whole year!!!  :(  I want to cry just thinking about it.  I'd really miss everyone and they'd miss seeing DS.  

On the bright side, if we were saving almost 100% of my income (I work remotely) then maybe we could afford to come up and visit a few times in the year.

This is such a huge decision!!! It is so far away.  But we are in a unique position of both working remotely and our lease is about to end.

We have to make a decision this week so we can plan the move....

wwyd?

Re: Chance of a lifetime??? (long)

• I would do it.  It would be a great chance to save
  • Do it!

What part of Houston are they in?  We live here; it's a pretty fun city if you're in the right area.

• Loading the player...
  • Do it! It's only a year. It's easy enough to keep in touch these days with the internet. And like you said, you can visit a couple times in the year.

• I'd do it in a heartbeat! Opportunities like this don't happen every day
  • Take it! It does stink to be away from family. I am from Philly and we are 12 hours away in Indiana, but I have gotten as used to it as I can. There are always visits and your family will have a really nice house to visit.
  • do it! it's only a year!
  • I would definitely do it without a doubt.
    image"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • do it and save $$.  Its only a year and you'll be back.  Or maybe you'll like it there more and you'll stay.  Never know until you try.
  • thanks all...I guess I am just scared, I've never even been to Texas!  At least we wouldn't be cold anymore haha.

I am not familiar with houston...on google maps it says Briargrove.  does anyone know if that is a good area? 

Houston looks pretty close to the beach at least....

• go for it! its only a year.
  • I'd do it in a New York minute!
  • It sounds like you would both keep your jobs?  Then I would definitely do it!!
  • I'd do it! Sadly, Nonlinea- we still get cold weather in Texas too; not as bad a PA, but it gets chilly!! We were under a freezing rain advisory overnight yesterday. 
  • I would totally do it for the reasons you mentioned. ?Aside from that, you may decide you like it here and want to stay - Houston has some really nice areas and LCOL.
  • I would do it.  1 year will help you save so much money.  It will be better for your family in the long run.  Plus it sounds like you'd have the room if friends/family would come for a visit. 
  • oh yeah!! i'd do it!!
  • imagenonlinea:

thanks all...I guess I am just scared, I've never even been to Texas!? At least we wouldn't be cold anymore haha.

?I am not familiar with houston...on google maps it says Briargrove.? does anyone know if that is a good area??

Houston looks pretty close to the beach at least....

I just saw this - yes, Briargrove is one of those "nice" areas! ?Fairly large houses, the residents keep their properties in good condition, most are affluent. ?My grandma lived near there when I was growing up and I was so sad when they sold her house - if she'd have hung onto it 5 more years I could have bought it from her.

• Go!  A chance like that to save up a crap load of money these days?  I wouldn't pass that up!  And like pp's said, it's only a year. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do it!!! And if you don't give me your FIL's phone number because I will take him up on that offer Wink
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "The sound of your heart - It's the most significant sound in my world." Edward Cullen - Eclipse
  • DON'T do it - let me move there instead :)
  • I would do it in a heartbeat.  A year will go by very quickly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"