1st Trimester

Husband wants to name son after him.

I reaaaaaallllly wish he would change his mind.i mean, I get it. I see how a father would want a "junior." Although I am for giving a unique name to a unique being. BUT get this. Both his grandfathers have his first name (one has his exact same name), his father has his exact same name, his identical twin brother has his exact same name (yes you read correctly) and now his nephew has his exact same name. Our son too?!!!! When will this end? Not to mention the credit issues I see in the future.

Re: Husband wants to name son after him.

• I reaaaaaallllly wish he would change his mind.i mean, I get it. I see how a father would want a "junior." Although I am for giving a unique name to a unique being. BUT get this. Both his grandfathers have his first name (one has his exact same name), his father has his exact same name, his identical twin brother has his exact same name (yes you read correctly) and now his nephew has his exact same name. Our son too?!!!! When will this end? Not to mention the credit issues I see in the future.

Anyway you see I can convince him otherwise? Am I being silly?

• Have you tried compromising on a middle name? I don't blame you for your feelings. I am not too keen on juniors either. But to each their own. Maybe this conversation with your SO should be saved for later (unless you are 100% team green). You may end up with a girl and the whole emotional roller coaster could have been avoided.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Rosebean said:

Have you tried compromising on a middle name? I don't blame you for your feelings. I am not too keen on juniors either. But to each their own. Maybe this conversation with your SO should be saved for later (unless you are 100% team green). You may end up with a girl and the whole emotional roller coaster could have been avoided.

You are right. We don't know the gender yet. I doubt he'll change his mind especially since his twin brother puts major pressure on him to follow the trend. Compromising on a middle name may be the only way.
  • Deal with it when and if the time comes. For all you know, you could be having a girl. And if you do end up having a boy, talk about it. Naming your child should be a compromise. So both of you are going to have to do some compromising.
  • Credit scores are based on social security numbers, so I kind of doubt there will be issues. 

Do or don't. Discuss it with your husband. I knew mine's stance before we were even married. It was a deal breaker for him. Fortunately I had no issues with a son of mine being a III.

You would think the glorious social security number would serve its purpose but my husband has actually received bills from his brother and father and it's always a headache to get it straightened out.

• Credit scores are based on social security numbers, so I kind of doubt there will be issues. 

Do or don't. Discuss it with your husband. I knew mine's stance before we were even married. It was a deal breaker for him. Fortunately I had no issues with a son of mine being a III.

You would think this but my husband - who has same first name on his uncle - has had "issues" with credit, even when he has given his SIN.  They will call to confirm his birthday, or ask for more ID, because when they run his name his uncle comes up, and they don't even share a middle name.  It usually works out in the end but it does slow down the process. 

He goes by his middle name (his parents had no intention of calling him by his first name but were adhering to "family pressure" to use the naming convention) and honestly he HATES it - he would have preferred to have the name he goes by be his first name.

How does the family tell the ones with the exact same name apart?  Like at a family gathering how do they specify who they are talking too?

I agree with PP - it should be a compromise and a name you are both happy with.  Maybe you will have a girl and problem solved lol

They have nicknames of course. It is the only way mom can yell at one of them from another room. Lol Throughout the years they have also picked up their differences. My husband is more playful in personality and is usually smiling. Unlike his twin. They are actually very different personality wise. They even have complete different tastes in music (some agreements of course.)

• My FIL's stuff shows up on my husband's credit report. They share a first name and it has been really hard to correct.

To the OP. I would want him to have his own identity. So strange that he has the same name as his brother!
    On our way to baby#2!  Praying for a healthy and happy delivery next June!

You would think the glorious social security number would serve its purpose but my husband has actually received bills from his brother and father and it's always a headache to get it straightened out.
    Bills =/= credit score. 

That also means it's likely the jackass the bill belongs to gave them your address hoping you'd be dumb enough to pay it for them. They don't randomly grab addresses and send out bills. They get it from the person that signed up for the account. 

No. Not true. My husband and FIL have the same name and have issues with bills all the time, especially if we use the same company. Also one time the bank put FILs bank accounts in my husband's name.  Unpaid bills can affect your credit score. If you use the same company for a service, you can get confused and pay a bill thinking it was yours very easily.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it a cultural thing for your husbands family? My best friends husband, his brother, his nephew, and his father all share the same exact name. Confusing on paper? Yes. BUT they all go by a different unique nickname (and I'm not talking Joe, Joey, Joseph). When my friend had a son they did not follow the name trend, which was not a big deal for her husband but was for his family. My suggestion would be to talk it out with your SO. Even if you have a girl this time that doesn't mean this won't come up again.

FWIW my mom and aunt had the same first and last name, different middle name, different date of birth, and the national bank chain they used STILL mixed up their statements and accounts...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • WhoCanItBeNow said:

Speshul said:
    Credit scores are based on social security numbers, so I kind of doubt there will be issues. 

Bills =/= credit score. 

That also means it's likely the jackass the bill belongs to gave them your address hoping you'd be dumb enough to pay it for them. They don't randomly grab addresses and send out bills. They get it from the person that signed up for the account. 

No. Not true. My husband and FIL have the same name and have issues with bills all the time, especially if we use the same company. Also one time the bank put FILs bank accounts in my husband's name.  Unpaid bills can affect your credit score. If you use the same company for a service, you can get confused and pay a bill thinking it was yours very easily.
    Only if you aren't paying attention. Sorry you suck at details.

There are no "bills" on my credit score. Credit cards, open loans, mortgage, yes. Medical, utilities, no. You have to let those go a very long time before those would hit. If you pay attention and clear them up right away, it's NBD.

DH is a Jr. There are 3 other people in town with the same name. Never had a single issue.

Yay good for you...but that does not make it impossible to happen to other people..it does happen.

We have had 2 separate companies mix up retirement and bank accounts. Also we have been billed by the hospital for the wrong person...that one was difficult to straighten out because they wouldn't listen. If you think spending hours on the phone talking to people and sometimes having to drive your ass down to the institution(more than once, with both parties) is NBD then also yay for you. But for me...

OP I know someone that alternates first and middle names every generation. Like Billy Bob and then the son is Bob Billy. That might be a good compromise and you won't have to worry about possible confusion since everyone in the family has the same name.

• S/O and his Dad and grandfather have the same first name. S/O gets his dads mail and vice versa. His Dad still gets mail for his deceased Dad. It's a PITA.

Every week S/O drives two cities over to exchange mail. We just got his Direct TV bill, a medical bill, and his car registration.

Also, I work in medical billing and I just had a HIPPA issue the other month. This guy called on his bill, he had the name and DOB right and after speaking with him, he tells me it's not his bill, it's his Dads and he keeps getting his mail because it's the same name. He gave me his Dads DOB, but the guys SSN was attached to it, not his Dads SSN.

So, with same names, theres mail issues, billing issues, etc. It's not the end of the world, but if you don't like the name, you shouldn't get pressured into it because it's a family tradition.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• OP another idea is to find a different version of the name. Like if it is nicolas, you could try nikolai. I do think it should be a name both of you like. Good Luck :)

• Speshul said:

The exact same thing would happen with my dad and grandfather. Dad refused to make my brother a III because of how many times he'd had banking and bill mix ups with his father. I'd compromise on a middle name, but don't feel pressured to use a name you don't want.

Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Speshul said:
    OP another idea is to find a different version of the name. Like if it is nicolas, you could try nikolai. I do think it should be a name both of you like. Good Luck :)
    This is a really great idea! Even looking for a diminutive form of a name might work, or something like Harry > Harrison, Andrew > Addison for example. My husband's middle name is Nicholas and I really liked it, but he felt funny about using it, so I did some research and Colin is a diminutive form of the name Nicholas, and we both loved that name.

It's kind of hard to come up with good suggestions without knowing the name, but there could be some compromise (although just using it as a middle name makes sense and is easy) that pleases both of you.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Oh. I DO NOT like the name.
  • Am I missing something here? Did you discuss with before marriage?

If not, why would you allow your husband to be the only one deciding on a name? A name that you do not like, none the less. You are equals, act like it and put your foot down.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• UGHHH!!! my DH is a III, and he wants a IV...I wouldn't mid if his dad and grandfather weren't jerks (which DH agrees with) AND I hate the name...This is still in debate obviously. I offered a middle name (I want a girl to have my name for a middle name) So, then he offers up ridiculous options as the only other thing he would consider other than his name , ie: Timber. No Joke. He loves it...\

I grew up in a house with a Jr. and Sr. and it was so annoying- phone, mail etc. I could only give in if we agreed to call the baby a version of the same name in another language, or a cute kind of not really nickname sort of derived from the original name. Still not my favs though. It is hard though b/c I know if I was a "the third", I'd probably want a "the fourth" too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• I think it is super cute that he wants to name the baby after himself but I think if you don't give the baby it's own name you're not giving him is own little identity! Have you tried that with your husband? 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Lurking as we've started talking names recently. OP-another thing perhaps you could bring up with him is that god forbid the kid does something really bad when they're older, it's also your DH's name, and that may be tough for him on both fronts -that it's his son and that it's his name. The chances of that happening are obviously very slim, but it happened in my family and Sr was devastated not only at what Jr did and how it affected Sr's grand kids, but also that it was 'his' name in the papers and on the news.
    Me:41  DH: 46 high count but poor motility & morphology
    TTC on and off since 2005

July 2012: Infertility tests started at OB/Gyn, HSG and HSN all clear
    Sept 2012: IUI #1 w/Clomid - BFN
    Oct 2012: IUI #2 w/Clomid - cancelled due to cyst
    Nov 2012: IUI #3 w/Clomid - BFN
    Break to move and find new PCP, OB/Gyn & RE
    Sept 2013: first appt with RE
    Nov / Dec 2013: IVF #1 with ICSI split
      Dec 6: Retrieval, 4 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized
      Dec 11: Transferred 1 (Day 5)
      Dec 30:  HCG Beta, 4980. BFP!
     1 little bean!
    EDD: August 28 30 2014
    LO Arrived! August 31 2014

All Welcome!

image image
  • Not saying this is common, but DH has had terrible problems with having the same name as his father. Primarily since his father has tried using DH's identity for credit/purchases/etc. At the moment we have everything straightened out, but in the past it has been a large problem for him. I've also seen the reverse happen to friends of ours, where the child has used the parent's identity.

I completely understand if it's family tradition, etc. At first I actually wanted LO to be named after DH, but from past headaches, have just decided we'd rather choose our own name.
  • I am having the same issue with DH. We're not finding out the sex but if it's a boy we're naming it after him. It's not my favorite idea. Hell, I do not like it at all actually. But the way I see it is this is his first born, I'll bend. I think the middle name gets me more than anything.

In my line of work, I have seen the son's child support judgement showing up on the father's credit report.

OP, I get where you are coming from. I still get angry because DH could have been a IV and I would have made DS a V. BUT DH's grandfather used to use DH's father's SSN and opened all kinds of shit in his name. DH's father did not use the same name for DH because he knew the grandfather would do the same to him.

But enough about DH's shady ass family, if you do not like the name, can you try suggesting a variation; for example, Wesley instead of Leslie?

I have already put some compromising on the table. For all those curious... His name is Rafael. Not an atrocious name but I just like unique names or names with meanings or incredible legacies attached. I told him I would even take Ralphie, or use Rafael as a middle name. But he is so firm. His twin is pretty much saying he better carry the name.

Lol. I didn't think this discussion would become so popular. I will love my little person no matter what. And while I would like to give a unique name, eh. I seriously wouldn't cause a strain in our relationship over this disagreement. Besides I definitely will have naming rights for any daughters.

• Darbie914 said:

Credit scores are based on social security numbers, so I kind of doubt there will be issues. 

In my line of work, I have seen the son's child support judgement showing up on the father's credit report.

OP, I get where you are coming from. I still get angry because DH could have been a IV and I would have made DS a V. BUT DH's grandfather used to use DH's father's SSN and opened all kinds of shit in his name. DH's father did not use the same name for DH because he knew the grandfather would do the same to him.

But enough about DH's shady ass family, if you do not like the name, can you try suggesting a variation; for example, Wesley instead of Leslie?
    I have already put some compromising on the table. For all those curious... His name is Rafael. Not an atrocious name but I just like unique names or names with meanings or incredible legacies attached. I told him I would even take Ralphie, or use Rafael as a middle name. But he is so firm. His twin is pretty much saying he better carry the name.

Lol. I didn't think this discussion would become so popular. I will love my little person no matter what. And while I would like to give a unique name, eh. I seriously wouldn't cause a strain in our relationship over this disagreement. Besides I definitely will have naming rights for any daughters.

I guess I just don't see how someone else should have a hand in what you name your child.  I would never take my siblings' opinion into account because it's not their child.  

Name your baby what you will and do as you see fit, of course.   But it just rubs me the wrong way when I see people posting about this as if they have zero say in the matter.  Your opinion counts, too.

This. If his brother is so adamant about the name being carried, he needs to produce a boy and name his son the same. And also mind his own business. 

Ugh. Exactly. He named his son Rafael. Now he is pretty much telling my husband. I did it. Now you need to too. It is so silly.
  • Darbie914 said:

I guess I just don't see how someone else should have a hand in what you name your child.  I would never take my siblings' opinion into account because it's not their child.  

Name your baby what you will and do as you see fit, of course.   But it just rubs me the wrong way when I see people posting about this as if they have zero say in the matter.  Your opinion counts, too.

Every relationship has disagreements. This is one of ours. We women have fantasies about our future wedding and family and men have their ideas for their future. My husband has always looked forward to having a mini him. So I understand why it may be hard to give this up.

I post this because this is a community of support. Sometimes we need to ask for advice, opinions or just need to vent.
  • Darbie914 said:

Darbie914 said:

Every relationship has disagreements. This is one of ours. We women have fantasies about our future wedding and family and men have their ideas for their future. My husband has always looked forward to having a mini him. So I understand why it may be hard to give this up.

I post this because this is a community of support. Sometimes we need to ask for advice, opinions or just need to vent.

I understand about relationships having disagreements and it's 100% normal.  However, even though both of you grew up with different ideas for your future doesn't mean that one person should sacrifice their wants/needs for the sake of their partner.  DH never grew up dreaming about his wedding but he absolutely had a say in the planning and there were things he wanted that we both took into account.

That's what marriage is- compromise and working together to come up with situations that work for both of you.  What will you do if you never have a girl and those 'naming rights' are null and void?  Naming your child should be a joint decision, always.

With that said, naming a child after your husband will not make your son a mini-DH.  He will be his own person, with his own thoughts, feelings, and opinions.  I have the same name as my mother and believe me when I tell you, we are very different people.  

Everything you've said is true. I know there are no mini me

• So wait...OP, your husband and his twin brother DO have the exact same name?!

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• ADH0906 said:

So wait...OP, your husband and his twin brother DO have the exact same name?!

Yes. Just yes.
    8-}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"