1st Trimester

Anyone else against the flu shot?

Re: Anyone else against the flu shot?

• Loading the player...
  • Ok, just out of curiousity, I have to ask - @FtrMrsPriest - did you bother looking at the rest of this website before you posted this link??? I'm honestly curious. Because I had some time to kill while DS was napping, and I was browsing the site for the heck of it. There's an article on how your houseplants can read your mind, an article about how extraterrestrials have given us clues about a big event that's supposed to happen, and an article about how the Queen of England is part of a pedophile ring

I am seriously trying to understand how anyone could think that website was a legitimate news source.
    LOLLLL! I'm going to hope for humanity's sake that she didn't read it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have to say there is vaccines without the preservative....I react to it so I get it without and our Pediatricianpnly gives one's without to kids.

Praying this little one sticks!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • That  was supposed to say pediatrician....autocorrect...err
    Praying this little one sticks!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am sure if your child lands up in a PICU on ECMO your haha attitude would change quickly. Before you decide what's best for your child do some real research. The flu does kill. It even kills previously healthy individuals. I get mine every year. It's sad every year the kids that die in the hospital I work at because lack of flu vaccine. My DD has an egg allergy and she even gets it under direct supervision of her allergist office.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • @LRod2 You. Are. Awesome.

I want this explanation of snark stickeyed for all the newbs, idiots, and white knights to see!
  • Semi-related question (sorry it's not as funny as all the other posts here).... aren't teachers required to have a flu shot???
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Semi-related question (sorry it's not as funny as all the other posts here).... aren't teachers required to have a flu shot???

If they aren't I really think they should be, just like health professionals.

It is at my MILs school.

• trombgirl said:
    Semi-related question (sorry it's not as funny as all the other posts here).... aren't teachers required to have a flu shot???

We actually aren't required to get the flu shot. A neighboring hospital does require them though. I think it depends on the place. I did hear that next season, our hospital will make them mandatory or else you will have to wear a mask constantly. I guess this terrible flu season scared them into it. The percentage of employees at my hospital who received the flu shot is the highest it's ever been. People are getting scared now that they see patients dying and they are just now getting their shots.
  • Well, this was entertaining.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• Meery82 said:
    trombgirl said:
    Semi-related question (sorry it's not as funny as all the other posts here).... aren't teachers required to have a flu shot???

We actually aren't required to get the flu shot. A neighboring hospital does require them though. I think it depends on the place. I did hear that next season, our hospital will make them mandatory or else you will have to wear a mask constantly. I guess this terrible flu season scared them into it. The percentage of employees at my hospital who received the flu shot is the highest it's ever been. People are getting scared now that they see patients dying and they are just now getting their shots.
    It is required at my hospital to have an annual flu shot.  The only excuse is medical reasons/allergy.  If someone refuses to get one, they must wear a mask at all times during flu season. 
  • No school I've ever worked at has required it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Meery82 said:
    trombgirl said:

That's how my DH's hospital is. You either get the flu shot, you sign a waver and wear a mask all flu season, or you are suspended.
    At my school we are required unless we have an exemption. I'm exempt due to my allergy, but I'll be getting the new version that does not contain the egg protein once it's available it our area.
    I think you mean aborted fetuses. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Shima42 said:

There is no injectable flu vaccine that doesn't have thimerosol, the
    organic mercury compound that is used as a preservative (there are other
    childhood vaccinations that have only trace amounts of it).  No single strain
    of influenza has been determined vitally necessary to the recommended
    childrens' vaccination schedule; therefore, not getting the flu vaccine
    does NOT increase the likelihood of an epidemic - influenza diseases are
    considered relatively benign and surmountable by the average immune
    system.  There have been scientific, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies
    of what causes chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, autism,
    schizophrenia, and many other diseases - but current medical science
    still does not know the cause of those diseases.  Medical science DOES
    know that mercury is bad for you.  I'm gonna go ahead and err on the side of common sense: if someone who's not an expert tells me that a poison is okay to eat, I'm just going to skip the poison anyway.

Late to the party so my apologies if this has been addressed....

If you're avoiding small amounts of poison you might want to edit your next grocery list.
    https://io9.com/5810568/ten-foods-in-your-kitchen-that-contain-gruesome-poisons

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Shima42Shima42 member
    edited January 2014
    There is no injectable flu vaccine that doesn't have thimerosol, the organic mercury compound that is used as a preservative (there are other childhood vaccinations that have only trace amounts of it).  No single strain of influenza has been determined vitally necessary to the recommended childrens' vaccination schedule; therefore, not getting the flu vaccine does NOT increase the likelihood of an epidemic - influenza diseases are considered relatively benign and surmountable by the average immune system.  There have been scientific, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies of what causes chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, and many other diseases - but current medical science still does not know the cause of those diseases.  Medical science DOES know that mercury is bad for you.  I'm gonna go ahead and err on the side of common sense: if someone who's not an expert tells me that a poison is okay to eat, I'm just going to skip the poison anyway.
    Late to the party so my apologies if this has been addressed.... If you're avoiding small amounts of poison you might want to edit your next grocery list. https://io9.com/5810568/ten-foods-in-your-kitchen-that-contain-gruesome-poisons
    You may care to read my earlier response to another poster who said much the same thing.  In response to your link, please allow me to clear up some points comparing the toxicity of ordinary foods to that of mercury.  The toxin in the green part of the potato is deactivated with cooking.  The toxin in cashews is eventually washed out of your system and never builds up - unlike mercury, which is never eliminated from the body and only builds up over time, with each new ingestion.  The toxin in rhubarb is also eliminate from the body by the body's natural cleansing process, which is impossible with mercury.  Most people eat their egg whites cooked.  I like lima beans, though most people don't eat them much anymore.  Phytic acid can be eliminated from the body eventually, like all of the toxins mentioned here.  Even cyanide (while lethal in larger doses) will eventually be eliminated from a body which does not die of it.  However, most people don't need to worry about the cyanide in apricot pits, because no one eats the pit of the apricot!  The toxins in kidney beans, greens, and mushrooms, again, disappear with cooking or are eliminated from the body over time.  Ricin, like cyanide, does not kill in smaller doses, and will be eliminated from the body if it does not kill - and very little of it ends up in candy.  It is fallacious to compare the toxins that are found in food and can be dealt with by the body to the unknown long-term consequences of ingesting a poison which stays in the body.  Furthermore, I invite you to consider that medical science has yet to prove what causes many different diseases.  We have not yet cured cancer.  Our understanding of the human body is terribly limited.  When most vaccines are available without mercury, and the causes of so many diseases are unknown, it is only common sense to limit your exposure to a poison that you can never cleanse from your body.

Philosophically, it is wise not to attempt to blame another person for taking action which they deem to be necessary to their survival.  Those who wish not to take vaccinations which contain mercury should not be condemned for protecting themselves, even if you think they are wrong.  It must always be the right of the individual to take action to protect themselves.  Since a person gets a vaccine before they become infected, they are harming no one by abstaining.  If they should choose, after contracting a disease, to make themselves public, they may be assumed to be neglecting their responsibility to not harm others.  While the risk of becoming infected, or the risk of serious harm from such infection, remains low, it should be socially acceptable for an individual to choose to minimize any risk that they perceive may exist from vaccination.  When the risk of causing harm to another from personal infection becomes greater than the possibility of harm to oneself from gradual poisoning, it is still not acceptable to ask the individual to sacrifice their health for that of the greater populace.  Only by volunteering should a person give their own well-being.  Should an epidemic occur, those who wish to abstain from vaccination may be quarantined against their will, but the sanctity of their body should not be violated.  Anything else is barbaric.  Therefore, the social persecution of those who wish to abstain is pointless.  Its only function is cruelty.

• I say survival of the fittest. Darwin's theory will continue to work on vaccine conspiracy theorists. My gf is one of them and this year she visited the ER 3 times with her 3 year old and newborn after contracting the flu (not even h1n1). I'm just waiting for her to get pneumonia one day and be taught her lesson. You can't convince certain people of factual scientific evidence because their fear factor overrides logical reasoning. It's the reason people like Bush Jr was so successful at manipulating the public. When fear takes over logic gets overridden.
  • I say survival of the fittest. Darwin's theory will continue to work on vaccine conspiracy theorists. My gf is one of them and this year she visited the ER 3 times with her 3 year old and newborn after contracting the flu (not even h1n1). I'm just waiting for her to get pneumonia one day and be taught her lesson. You can't convince certain people of factual scientific evidence because their fear factor overrides logical reasoning. It's the reason people like Bush Jr was so successful at manipulating the public. When fear takes over logic gets overridden.

I also have an anti vax friend. She has two kids of her own and a foster kid. When she is not complaining that she is forced to vaccinate her foster kid with poison and posting anti-vax bs she is posting about her youngest (15months) being sick ans hospitalized. I want to shake her!!
  • Not to beat the dead horse that is this thread, but I thought of you all when I saw today's story on NPR: https://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/01/25/265750719/how-vaccine-fears-fueled-the-resurgence-of-preventable-diseases

I doubt this is a convincing argument to someone with fear about vaccines and doubts about their relationship to long term health issues like cancer; but it is an interesting way to see how the choices of a few can have a much larger impact.
  • ManateearmzManateearmz member
    edited January 2014
    "
    Edited to trim some trees..

<
    Shima42 said:

Shima42 said:

There is no injectable flu vaccine that doesn't have thimerosol, the
    organic mercury compound that is used as a preservative (there are other
    childhood vaccinations that have only trace amounts of it).  No single strain
    of influenza has been determined vitally necessary to the recommended
    childrens' vaccination schedule; therefore, not getting the flu vaccine
    does NOT increase the likelihood of an epidemic - influenza diseases are
    considered relatively benign and surmountable by the average immune
    system.  There have been scientific, double-blind, peer-reviewed studies
    of what causes chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, autism,
    schizophrenia, and many other diseases - but current medical science
    still does not know the cause of those diseases.  Medical science DOES
    know that mercury is bad for you.  I'm gonna go ahead and err on the side of common sense: if someone who's not an expert tells me that a poison is okay to eat, I'm just going to skip the poison anyway.

Late to the party so my apologies if this has been addressed....

If you're avoiding small amounts of poison you might want to edit your next grocery list.
    https://io9.com/5810568/ten-foods-in-your-kitchen-that-contain-gruesome-poisons

You may care to read my earlier response to another poster who said much the same thing.  In response to your link, please allow me to clear up some points comparing the toxicity of ordinary foods to that of mercury.  The toxin in the green part of the potato is deactivated with cooking.  The toxin in cashews is eventually washed out of your system and never builds up - unlike mercury, which is never eliminated from the body and only builds up over time, with each new ingestion.  The toxin in rhubarb is also eliminate from the body by the body's natural cleansing process, which is impossible with mercury.  Most people eat their egg whites cooked.  I like lima beans, though most people don't eat them much anymore.  Phytic acid can be eliminated from the body eventually, like all of the toxins mentioned here.  Even cyanide (while lethal in larger doses) will eventually be eliminated from a body which does not die of it.  However, most people don't need to worry about the cyanide in apricot pits, because no one eats the pit of the apricot!  The toxins in kidney beans, greens, and mushrooms, again, disappear with cooking or are eliminated from the body over time.  Ricin, like cyanide, does not kill in smaller doses, and will be eliminated from the body if it does not kill - and very little of it ends up in candy.  It is fallacious to compare the toxins that are found in food and can be dealt with by the body to the unknown long-term consequences of ingesting a poison which stays in the body.  Furthermore, I invite you to consider that medical science has yet to prove what causes many different diseases.  We have not yet cured cancer.  Our understanding of the human body is terribly limited.  When most vaccines are available without mercury, and the causes of so many diseases are unknown, it is only common sense to limit your exposure to a poison that you can never cleanse from your body.

Philosophically, it is wise not to attempt to blame another person for taking action which they deem to be necessary to their survival.  Those who wish not to take vaccinations which contain mercury should not be condemned for protecting themselves, even if you think they are wrong.  It must always be the right of the individual to take action to protect themselves.  Since a person gets a vaccine before they become infected, they are harming no one by abstaining.  If they should choose, after contracting a disease, to make themselves public, they may be assumed to be neglecting their responsibility to not harm others.  While the risk of becoming infected, or the risk of serious harm from such infection, remains low, it should be socially acceptable for an individual to choose to minimize any risk that they perceive may exist from vaccination.  When the risk of causing harm to another from personal infection becomes greater than the possibility of harm to oneself from gradual poisoning, it is still not acceptable to ask the individual to sacrifice their health for that of the greater populace.  Only by volunteering should a person give their own well-being.  Should an epidemic occur, those who wish to abstain from vaccination may be quarantined against their will, but the sanctity of their body should not be violated.  Anything else is barbaric.  Therefore, the social persecution of those who wish to abstain is pointless.  Its only function is cruelty.

End quote...

Take it away, Jesus...
    photo was-bored-gotta-qoute-a-tldr-post.jpg

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

I also have an anti vax friend. She has two kids of her own and a foster kid. When she is not complaining that she is forced to vaccinate her foster kid with poison and posting anti-vax bs she is posting about her youngest (15months) being sick ans hospitalized. I want to shake her!!
    What bugs me is that most anti vaxers are probably vaccinated themselves from childhood. So they don't have to worry about getting these deadly diseases that are seeing a comeback. Instead they take it out on their kids who have no say in the matter and end up paying the price for their parents decision.
    I will bet that too. 

And then there are those on the other side, like this one: https://www.voicesforvaccines.org/growing-up-unvaccinated/

My husband saw this a few weeks ago. I meant to post it on TB.
  • I feel the same way... I am in my first trimester and decided back in September when we started trying that I wasn't going to get the flu shot.  I work in the human services field as a social worker, around many people, including children, every day.  This happens to be my own personal belief as well.  I have always gotten the flu shot in the past, but I'm not willing to inject something into my body that could potentially harm my unborn child.  I understand there are many clinical studies to prove that it is safe, however it's not 100%, which to me isn't good enough.  I also believe in hand washing, vitamin taking and an overall healthy lifestyle.  I applaud your decision to do what you believe is best for your children and yourself, and don't let others make you feel any differently!

• AshleyC05 said:
    I feel the same way... I am in my first trimester and decided back in September when we started trying that I wasn't going to get the flu shot.  I work in the human services field as a social worker, around many people, including children, every day.  This happens to be my own personal belief as well.  I have always gotten the flu shot in the past, but I'm not willing to inject something into my body that could potentially harm my unborn child.  I understand there are many clinical studies to prove that it is safe, however it's not 100%, which to me isn't good enough.  I also believe in hand washing, vitamin taking and an overall healthy lifestyle.  I applaud your decision to do what you believe is best for your children and yourself, and don't let others make you feel any differently!
    Hi, abigail/cruelsound/whocanitbenow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"