Baby Showers

Diaper Raffle poem ideas/sayings

Re: Diaper Raffle poem ideas/sayings

• Rude, unhappy women. You are really fitting into the stereo-type quite well.

:) Cheerio!

• imagediscobelle:
    imagenz0721:

Your negative responses are class-less and rude.

Pot > kettle > black 

Your comment is laughable at best.  

• Loading the player...
  • I think the young lady was asking for a poem, not for anyone's opinion.  I would not be offended if a shower invite asked for diapers to be entered into an optional raffle.  If you don't want to participate, then don't.  Enough said.
  • imagetristat3113:
    I think the young lady was asking for a poem, not for anyone's opinion.  I would not be offended if a shower invite asked for diapers to be entered into an optional raffle.  If you don't want to participate, then don't.  Enough said.

Well god bless America.  You don't have to ask anyone for their opinion in order to get it.  I'm glad to know that you'll keep your mouth shut when someone asks an opinion on how to "nice-ify" something that most people consider really rude.  I, however, won't.  Thus is the beauty of living in a free country. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • If anything, the way you're acting towards other peoples opinions is tacky. It's pretty laughable and ironic that you're calling everyone else who may not be as wealthy as you, tacky, class-less and undeserving of a child. Obviously you don't have a clear understanding of the financially unstable world that we live in because you're too busy in your snobbish ways to notice those who aren't as fortunate as you so gloatingly seem to be. Here's some friendly advice: You should step away from belittling and bullying others and focus on teaching yourself some lessons in mannerisms and being humble.

I support the Diaper Raffle. Despite negativity from all the internet trolls. It's an optional, self-made choice from the guests whether or not to participate. If they don't, they don't and no one is insulted or hurt. No one is forcing them to bring anything. Heck, some of them may not even bring gifts and that's perfectly fine as well. Love and support from friends and family is beautiful and much appreciated! You aren't being greedy by giving the guests an option to bring diapers or not to. Just as registering for diapers isn't greedy.. It's a gift option. If someone truly can't afford to purchase a pack or feels that it's "tacky", they just won't bring diapers and probably will be more than gracious, classy and humble in keeping it to themselves that they didn't agree with the raffle rather than saying something so disgusting as that of them thinking you're too poor and shouldn't have a child.

• This thread wins for the ultimate thread to live on and on. Why will it not die?
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I hope everyone on this thread remembers the actual question OP asked. She never wanted to know if a diaper raffle was tacky or not. She never wanted the price of diapers or to know your life's story of how poor or rich you are. If you're on here giving her an answer to her original question, I applaud you. To those who think its their right to comment on what a person does at their own showerplease, buzz off. You weren't invited to the shower so you don't get a say as to how the guests will feel because you aren't one of them. I hope you're invited to millions of baby showers and I hope each of them have diaper raffles. You'll probably decline the invites and I hope your friends find out how tacky YOU are for having an opinion on what they should or shouldn't do at their baby shower. I think you're bitter that you didn't think to ask your friends for a diaper raffle as well. If you do go to another baby shower in your life, I hope the only thing they ask you for are diapers.

To OP: I'm sorry for the rant, but some people make me so darn angry. I was on your post because I too wanted to get thoughts on a diaper raffle poem. My friend is having her first baby and she doesn't need the help on diapers, but I do know that because her shower is coEd she has a lot of male family members and is very close to them, the thought of prizes entices any man to join in on the funno matter the cost. We're having a diaper raffle and honestly, it's all for fun. We're giving her multiple diaper cakes and buying some off of her registry. I hope that by the time the baby comes around, they'll be swimming in clean diapers for him. Again, my friend doesn't need help buying diapers for her coming son. Although, it would be nice for her to not spend a lot of money on diapers so she can use the money for other things necessary for baby like wipes and formula. I wish you a wonderful baby shower, OP, and hope any ones you may have in the future are wonderful as well.
  • imageyaba10:

Tacky?  How is this tacky?  It's called a diaper raffle.  It's your choice to enter or not. You want a prize enter, if your strapped for cash or heck you just dont want to enter then don't.  As I mentioned to the lady right above your comment I have been to a lot...A LOT of baby showers lately and they all had a diaper raffle going.  

I think you are making a way bigger deal out of it then it is.  Have you ever to been to a charity event?  They want you to donate plus they usually have raffles where you buy a ticket and enter to win a prize. 

Not a big deal. 

I miss the old thebump.com. The one where this would NOT be ok.. 

• Is there a reason this damn thread won't die?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagediscobelle:

imageLiz4444:
    Is there a reason this damn thread won't die?

I think it pops up when people Google "tacky".   

Ha!

I prefer to think they want to enjoy the poetry.   

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageMelleTX:

The "nobody has to participate if they don't want to" argument is one of the worst I have ever heard. Followed closely by "no one at my shower thought it was tacky".

I give up. Sometimes, you just can't teach class and manners. Either you get it or you don't. 

Poems don't make it classy!

Unless they are Ballsox poems, but that's a whole different class altogether.  

omg, anything and everything when it comes to events is tacky, when will it ever end? Don't put your registry on any invitation. Don't do a raffle. Don't have paper decorations. Don't even bother registering anywhere. Don't do baby shower games at all. Don't open the gifts in front of everyone. Don't have someone to write down everyone's gifts. Don't serve finger food. Don't ask anyone to make a dish. DON'T have a shower for any babies past baby #1. Don't ask for volunteers to help set up/ clean up. Don't do a shower before the baby is born. Don't do a shower after the baby is born. Hell don't do a shower AT ALL.

Honestly it's SOO pathetic.. The term "tacky" is just like using the word "beautiful". It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone lives in different groups and societies, what might be right for one person might be wrong for the other. I've been to baby showers where it was socially accepted by the person and her realm of friends/family to do some things that, for me and MY realm of friends/family it wouldn't. But I wasn't a stuck up b!tch that I'd throw a temper tantrum or complained about it. I went with the flow, because if I cared enough for this person to GO to their shower/event, I would do it in the way that they wanted it, because it was just that.. THEIR day.
    So these barriers that everyone keeps putting up for each other is ridiculous. Seems to me that all of you have forgotten what the real meaning of a baby shower is.. to honor the mother, to honor the baby, to honor life.

Grow up.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• imagekwolslager:
    imageMelleTX:

The "nobody has to participate if they don't want to" argument is one of the worst I have ever heard. Followed closely by "no one at my shower thought it was tacky".

I give up. Sometimes, you just can't teach class and manners. Either you get it or you don't. 

Poems don't make it classy!

Unless they are Ballsox poems, but that's a whole different class altogether.  

omg, anything and everything when it comes to events is tacky, when will it ever end? Don't put your registry on any invitation. Don't do a raffle. Don't have paper decorations. Don't even bother registering anywhere. Don't do baby shower games at all. Don't open the gifts in front of everyone. Don't have someone to write down everyone's gifts. Don't serve finger food. Don't ask anyone to make a dish. DON'T have a shower for any babies past baby #1. Don't ask for volunteers to help set up/ clean up. Don't do a shower before the baby is born. Don't do a shower after the baby is born. Hell don't do a shower AT ALL.

Honestly it's SOO pathetic.. The term "tacky" is just like using the word "beautiful". It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone lives in different groups and societies, what might be right for one person might be wrong for the other. I've been to baby showers where it was socially accepted by the person and her realm of friends/family to do some things that, for me and MY realm of friends/family it wouldn't. But I wasn't a stuck up b!tch that I'd throw a temper tantrum or complained about it. I went with the flow, because if I cared enough for this person to GO to their shower/event, I would do it in the way that they wanted it, because it was just that.. THEIR day.
    So these barriers that everyone keeps putting up for each other is ridiculous. Seems to me that all of you have forgotten what the real meaning of a baby shower is.. to honor the mother, to honor the baby, to honor life.

Grow up.

:eyeroll:  Methinks that you realized that a lot of people don't like the choices you've made.  

Don't put your registry on any invitation. For showers this is totally acceptable. 

Don't do a raffle.  Are you a charity? 

Don't have paper decorations. Where did this one even come from? 

Don't even bother registering anywhere.  No one said this at all. 

Don't do baby shower games at all. To each their own.  Most of them are pretty lame though.  

Don't open the gifts in front of everyone. This is actually the opposite.  To not open gifts in front of everyone is rude. 

Don't have someone to write down everyone's gifts. Who said this?  You're just making crap up now. 

Don't serve finger food. If it's a meal time and you serve your guests snacks, you're not being a good hostess, but if it's 3pm (for example) this is totally fine. 

Don't ask anyone to make a dish.Let's ask people to buy me presents and then to make them make their own dinner. 

DON'T have a shower for any babies past baby #1. What do you need? You should have all of the big stuff. 

Don't ask for volunteers to help set up/ clean up. I'm going to throw a party, but make everyone do all of the work.  

Don't do a shower before the baby is born. Where did you read this? Most people do this.  

Don't do a shower after the baby is born. Where did you read this?  

Hell don't do a shower AT ALL. Probably best, it sounds like your shower will be lame if you're following all of your rules. 

• I think the diaper raffle is awesome!!! I have won some awesome stuff just for bringing diapers! I don't think this is tacky at all. I think it is just a helpful thing for someone to do! If you don't want to take part it in, Simply don't bring diapers! I have also not been so lucky and have lost at some baby showers! But again usually the diaper raffle entitles you to a nice gift. I have never heard so many women be so catty about something so small...
  • Just made this little pun up for the back of my sister's invites.

• There is no cute way to do a tacky thing like this. I'm sorry, I can't advise you on how to do the wrong thing in a cute way. Cute never excuses telling a guest what to bring in the hopes they might win something. Your shower is supposed to be entertainment and refreshment for them, not a chance at door prizes. It's a party, not a fundraiser for Pete's sake!

It's your job to stock diapers. If a guest wants to bring a package as part of their gift package then let them do that. No matter how you phrase it, it's rude to demand (even in a cute way) anything specific of a guest at your event.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Who the fuck bumped this tacky ass mess?!
  • Really hating the New Bump.  WTF?

Oh, and expecting someone to not to call this out as tacky when the poor OP only asked for poem ideas is ridiculous.  It would be like someone posting "I want to smoke while I'm pregnant...do you have any ideas for the *best and safest* cigarette?", and people only responding with cigarette brands.  You think someone wouldn't call them out on the smoking part?  What a stupid flucking argument.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just had to reply to all the people that are saying a diaper raffle is "TACKY" it is a baby shower game essentially people can choose to be a part of it or not they are not forced. The whole point of a baby shower is to celebrate a baby coming into this world AND to help out the parents with all the things they need (diapers included.) For my daughters baby shower we did a diaper/wipe raffle that way even if people couldn't afford to bring us diapers they could bring a thing of wipes to receive a ticket for the drawing. We had a great prize for the people that brought diapers to win. We made up a basket of goodies that was valued at $100 (lotions,candles, sprays, etc.) so for anyone that brought diapers/wipes it was definitely worth the cost to them if they won. We also drew extra tickets for prizes if they didn't win the grand prize. People really seemed to enjoy the raffle & now we are doing the same for my sisters baby shower. I had diapers/wipes from my baby shower for close to a year. I would say definitely do a diaper raffle it helps out a great deal!
  • liberty17 said:
    I just had to reply to all the people that are saying a diaper raffle is "TACKY" it is a baby shower game essentially people can choose to be a part of it or not they are not forced. The whole point of a baby shower is to celebrate a baby coming into this world AND to help out the parents with all the things they need (diapers included.) For my daughters baby shower we did a diaper/wipe raffle that way even if people couldn't afford to bring us diapers they could bring a thing of wipes to receive a ticket for the drawing. We had a great prize for the people that brought diapers to win. We made up a basket of goodies that was valued at $100 (lotions,candles, sprays, etc.) so for anyone that brought diapers/wipes it was definitely worth the cost to them if they won. We also drew extra tickets for prizes if they didn't win the grand prize. People really seemed to enjoy the raffle & now we are doing the same for my sisters baby shower. I had diapers/wipes from my baby shower for close to a year. I would say definitely do a diaper raffle it helps out a great deal!
    Honestly, if I participated and I received over $100 worth of lotions/sprays/candles/etc, I'd turn around and regift it.  Why? Because it's not my thing.  There are also people that have allergies/aversions to certain smells or can't use some lotions because it causes them to break out.  So yeah, if I spent $20 to enter a raffle and won a $100 basket of stuff I couldn't use, it wouldn't be worth the value at all.   Plus, think of all of the wipes you could have bought for $100.  Unless you went around and just gathered up all the old stuff people have given you and you hadn't been able to use, which at that point, you're making money, but once again, it's still a pretty crappy "prize" for some people.  

I promise you, there were people that didn't think it was such a swell game, they just didn't tell you.  
  • New_MrsP said:

imageRossi17:

So, if you don't agree to having a diaper raffle, then I hope you enjoy spending $2,000-plus in the first year, just on diapers.

$2000/12 = $166.67

What the H3LL kind of diapers are you buying that you're spending $166.67 a month!?!?!

The absolute most I've ever spent per month on diapers is $50-$75, and I'm rounding WAY up for arguments sake.

Also, if you can't afford diapers, you need more than a shower for help.

THIS exactly!
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
    BFP #1: DD born 08/12
    BFP #2: 04/13 Natural M/C: 5/13
    BFP #3: 06/14 DUE 3/5/15
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • People have twins, like me for example. cost go up for diapers that you spend monthly. A diaper raffle is helpful for the parents. Not a charity tho.
  • Seriously harsh.
  • People have twins, like me for example. cost go up for diapers that you spend monthly. A diaper raffle is helpful for the parents. Not a charity tho.

@bellavida27, raffles are for charity events. Your procreation doesn't qualify. You're already asking people to bring a gift by inviting them to the shower. THEN you want people to buy extra gifts of diapers. Sure it would "help"...I mean, $1000 would sure "help" me but I'm not going to ask my friends and family to give it to me. My kid, my financial responsibility. Squeezing extra gifts out of your guests is beyond rude.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    As PP said, there's lots of things that would be helpful for me, but doesn't mean I'm going to do it.  Kids are a financial burden and knowing that there's ALWAYS the possibility for multiples or complicated pregnancies/deliveries/NICU stays....you make do where you can, save what you can and figure out ways to pay for the rest.  Start setting aside literally every possible penny into a diaper fund and you'll have a pretty hefty chunk of change by the time your kids are around and need diapers. 
  • I can't believe there are so many people who felt the need to tell someone else how to have her own party. She asked for a poem, not input or how YOU felt.

If you thought it was such a bad idea, just leave the post. No need to judge ANYONE. What is wrong with people.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "A package of diapers for little ol' me
    Would certainly help my mommy-to-be!"

This is an optional game, but there will be some perks!
    It's called a Diaper Raffle and here's how it works...
    Bring a package of diapers, any brand, any size.
    Your name will go in and you could win the great prize!
  • That is what I put on my Mother in Law's (surprise pregnancy on account of new seizure meds haha) shower invite. I don't think it is tacky, but that is only because I know that the family and friends will think it's cute and be more than willing to participate! I guess if you had a snobby family or was inviting nobody but aquaintences then it could come off as tacky. I think the diaper raffles are cute! (as long as you don't have a crappy prize for the winner)
  • I don't think that there is anything specifically tacky about any of these requests.  I registered for both disposable and cloth diapers.  If people don't want to purchase diapers then they won't.  I haven't had anything to do with my shower other than provide a guest list.  The host is having a diaper raffle because they liked the idea.  Many of the guests have asked about bringing books over cards, so it was added to the invites.  None of it is mandatory or even expected.  I will be incredibly happy with anything that anyone gives us.
  • jennish11 said:
    @D_Byrnes: first, don't worry about the naysayers... as long as you word it correctly, it's not rude, tacky, or demanding anything.

The last one I went to it had a tiny note at the bottom that said "There will be a prize raffle.  Please bring one pack of diaper for a raffle ticket."

They didn't make a big deal out of it - so it didn't seem demanding - and it gave people the choice... if you want to enter the raffle, cool... if not... fine.

You can't be serious...

• RebeccaY1 said:
    I don't think that there is anything specifically tacky about any of these requests.  I registered for both disposable and cloth diapers.  If people don't want to purchase diapers then they won't.  I haven't had anything to do with my shower other than provide a guest list.  The host is having a diaper raffle because they liked the idea.  Many of the guests have asked about bringing books over cards, so it was added to the invites.  None of it is mandatory or even expected.  I will be incredibly happy with anything that anyone gives us.
    It's rude to ask for an extra gift, even if you do it with a cutesy poem.  If someone wants to bring a book instead of a card, or diapers with their gift, great but to request it on an invitation is what makes it rude.  Regardless of whether you make it "optional."  Once it's put on the invitation, it makes it seem less optional, regardless of the wording.  No one wants to be the only asshole who doesn't participate.  
    Unfortunately, I can't be held responsible for what the host puts on the invitation.  Since it would be rude to be involved in the planning of the shower, I can't really say much about it.  It's really based upon what the host or hostess thinks is appropriate not what the mother to be wants.  As the mother to be I look at this website, but I know that the host would never even think about it and I would never be so rude as to tell them that their invitations are rude or tacky.  I also have the benefit of actually knowing the people invited and know they have the self confidence to bring whatever they want and not feel pressured. 
  • mnbv9502!mnbv9502! member
    edited December 2013
    The people who are going off about diaper raffles or showers being 'tacky'... You have issues, seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"