Babies: 0 - 3 Months

getting "passed around" at holiday functions

DH's giant (30+ people) family Christmas is next Saturday and I have to go alone because he is working.  Many of the women in his family (including MIL) fight tol hold DS whenever we see them.  DS is a very easy going baby, but I can just tell that he hates being passed around.  What are your tips/best lines for avoiding this at such a function?
Miscarriage 10/25/2009 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: getting "passed around" at holiday functions

• I would just tell everyone that it's too much excitement for your DS and you would rather be the one holding him.
  • I don't think there really IS anything you can say.  DS normally falls asleep in the middle of being passed around and I enjoy the break!
  • Loading the player...
  • ^ or put him in a sling/bjorn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecopaceticcrack:
    I don't think there really IS anything you can say.  DS normally falls asleep in the middle of being passed around and I enjoy the break!

Of course there is.  You say 'no'.  If he doesn't handle it well, she needs to speak up. They aren't going home with her DS, she is.  DH and I have a 'no pass the baby' rule for the holidays--and it goes for both sets of families, so there is no playing favorites, and no crabby baby at home in the middle of the night.

• Can you wear him in a sling or wrap?
  • You can jsut be like I miss my baby and then take him for a little bit. Or be like oh its time to feed him I am going to go to a quiet place. Thats what I do when I want my DS back
                     7/08, 1/12, 2/14, Due with baby #4  2/12/16 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • you could say "he hates being passed around."
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• I totally agree with Becauseican....you have to deal with the baby early in the morning and thru out the night...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with "wearing" the baby in a sling or a Bjorn.  Or, you could always say you're holding onto the baby because you're worried about cold + flu season.  We got lucky at Thanksgiving--DS fell asleep in his carseat on the way there, and we were able to just carry him around in his seat.  If anyone asked to hold him, we just said we didn't want to wake him.
  • I put DS in our wrap and don't offer him to anyone.
    Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I say he has to eat a lot more often than he does, and excuse myself to a private room (where we just hang out for a bit).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"