June 2014 Moms

Possible to have twins after u/s?

We had out first ultrasound, and there was just one heartbeat. However, due to the infertility medicine used and a weird feeling, I can't shake the feeling that we are having twins. That's not possible, right? I'm nuts??? I wonder why I am thinking this??

Re: Possible to have twins after u/s?

• Actually, it is possible. My friend recently had her first ultrasound around 10 weeks. Everything looked great, 1 baby. At her 20 week ultrasound she was told she's having twins.
    Quite the shocker! So it's happened before!
  • How thorough was your ultrasound? My sonographer said specifically "Now I'm going to check and see if there are any more in there..." And really looked around. But anything is possible!

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was on fertility meds for my son and they did a very thorough check to make sure there wasn't two.  But, every time we went in for another check they would always look for two.  My husband was so on edge! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • katekat8721katekat8721 member
    edited November 2013
    Actually, it is possible. My friend recently had her first ultrasound around 10 weeks. Everything looked great, 1 baby. At her 20 week ultrasound she was told she's having twins. Quite the shocker! So it's happened before!
    The exception, not the rule.

• It's unlikely but possible. I took care of twins in the NICU and the mom told me she didn't find out it was twins until 20 weeks because the one was hiding behind the other and the heartbeats were in sync.

My Ovulation Chart

BFP #1 3.16.12. mmc 5.7.12 at 11 weeks ~Avery Cameron~

BFP #2 12.12.12. mmc 1.22.13 at 10 weeks ~Theodore Michael~

D&C #2 Chromosome analysis results: Translocation Trisomy 14

My RPL Testing: Homozygous MTHFR, normal karyotype

DH's karyotype results: Robertsonian Translocation 13:14

BFP #3 9.10.13 mc at 4 weeks~Our little May Flower~ 

BFP #4 10.13.13- Our Rainbow Baby, a little girl, arrived June 25, 2014! 

• Early on its very possible a twin could be hiding behind the first baby.  I know several people who early on only saw one baby and later found out they were having twins.  Since twins run in both mine and DH's family I always ask at every ultrasound if they are sure there is just one.  I haven't had an ultrasound yet this time and I keep having people tell me I'm having twins and these people are usually pretty accurate in their predictions.  I'm getting nervous....lol.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My best friend was incredibly sick the beginning of her 2nd pregnancy, she was constantly in and out of the hospital, had multiple ultrasounds and didn't find out she was having twins until 22 weeks.... Her healthy (now 5year old) twin girls were mono amniotic and baby b was completely hidden behind baby a that entire time.... It happens more often then people realize.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Actually, it is possible. My friend recently had her first ultrasound around 10 weeks. Everything looked great, 1 baby. At her 20 week ultrasound she was told she's having twins. Quite the shocker! So it's happened before!
    The exception, not the rule.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • curlylocks3curlylocks3 member
    edited November 2013
    35nhappy said:

My best friend was incredibly sick the beginning of her 2nd pregnancy, she was constantly in and out of the hospital, had multiple ultrasounds and didn't find out she was having twins until 22 weeks.... Her healthy (now 5year old) twin girls were mono amniotic and baby b was completely hidden behind baby a that entire time.... It happens more often then people realize.

It really doesn't. I promise.
    Also, FWIW, at my 10 week scan they were hiding one behind the other. It took some maneuvering to get a good look at the second baby, but there is no way a trained ultrasound tech would have missed the second baby. 
    At my 6 and 8 week scans there is no way even I or my husband- or any one else who has seen the pics- could have missed the second one. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • SA1112 said:

It's unlikely but possible. I took care of twins in the NICU and the mom told me she didn't find out it was twins until 20 weeks because the one was hiding behind the other and the heartbeats were in sync.

Also, she very likely didn't have an early ultrasound. Early on it's very hard to miss a second baby or sac.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"