Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What did you do for morning sickness?

My husband has a co-worker who's wife is pregnant.  She's been to the ER twice for dehydration b/c she's throwing up so much.  I feel awful for her.  If you had terrible morning sickness, did anything help you get through it?  I have no advice for her b/c I had an easy pregnancy (I certainly didn't tell them that--who wants to hear that when you're puking your life away?).  Thanks for any advice I can pass on!

Re: What did you do for morning sickness?

• My friend had horrible morning sickness throughout her entire pregnancy and she was vomiting nonstop to the point that she had to be put on medication for it.  It really helped her.....but it's really expensive.  Maybe her Dr can prescribe something like that?
  • If it's so bad how come her OB hasn't prescribed anything?  My morning sickness was pretty bad and my OB perscribed phenergan suppositories.  They made me sleepy but definitely helped with the morning sickness.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not too much you actually CAN do, but I ate saltines, drank ginger ale, and gummy bears seemed to ease it a bit for whatever reason.

I had morning sickness until 25 weeks, PURE absolute and total hell. But I'd get pregnant to have another baby in a second, so it can't be too bad! But really......it was bad by week 20. I couldn't take another day of pulling over on the way to work to puke in the same spot!

Tell her to hang in there, and those sea sick seabands DO NOT work!! So tell her not to buy them and waste her money.

• I had zofran prescribed to me. I also ended up in the ER. The prescription helped a lot, but is SUPER expensive if you don't have good insurance.
  • If she's been to the ER twice her doctor needs to take a more active role in her treatment.  I had hyperemesis and had to be hospitalized for awhile and then on home health care with an IV for fluids and a Zofran pump at home.  If she's sick to the point of needing fluids she needs to medical intervention like antiemetic drugs at the very least.  If you have it badly enough, no amount of eating crackers, sipping ginger ale or wearng sea bands will help.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

• You can visit this site and possibly direct her to it for help and support.  It really helped me through my pregnancy.

helpher.org

• I had to go to the ER twice for dehydration as well.  First doctor prescribed Zofran (with insurance, only about $10; without, about $110).  Second doctor had me up the dosage and it worked wonders. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Vitamin b6 helped me, but my all-day sickness was not bad enough to require hospital visits.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Oh... I guess I should include that the OB won't see her until she's 10 or 11 weeks along.  She has an appointment in two weeks, I think.  She's called them about the nausea, but they can't get her in, or something.  I really don't know.  I'm just trying to be helpful with some advice.
  • imageColeslawcat:
    If she's been to the ER twice her doctor needs to take a more active role in her treatment.  I had hyperemesis and had to be hospitalized for awhile and then on home health care with an IV for fluids and a Zofran pump at home.  If she's sick to the point of needing fluids she needs to medical intervention like antiemetic drugs at the very least.  If you have it badly enough, no amount of eating crackers, sipping ginger ale or wearng sea bands will help.

This is what I thought.  I think she needs to find a better OB office b/c they don't seem to be very helpful.  People are scared to switch dr's after they're pregnant though.  I'll pass along this advice.  Thanks!

• She definitely needs a new OB.  It simply isn't acceptable to not be seen in her case.  By the time I was 10 weeks along I had already seen my doctor 5 times, been in the hospital for a week and lost 12 pounds.

• Zofran. I also think she needs a new OB. It doesn't matter if she's far enough along for a normal appt. If she is that sick she needs to be treated. Also OBs should always have room for emergency cases. Imagine if she has other complications later on in pg that need to be seen ?and the can't fit her in. Sounds like bad news to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had hyperemesis for the entire pregnancy with my first and my third. With my first, I was stuck with only phenergan. With my third, I had the miraculous zofran pump. It literally saved my life. I spent over a week in the hospital on IVs. It really was so wonderful. It works like an insulin pump kinda.
  • Wow. She needs to find a new doctor NOW. It is not something to take lightly. She needs to call around and find a doctor who has experience with hyperemesis. Unfortunately, there are doctors who think it's all just a bit of queasiness, and that's just not the case. It literally can KILL you if you don't get help. Anyone who had success with ginger ale and crackers does not know how bad it can really get. I was almost suicidal at my worst. Definitely not something to play around with, she needs help. It can get to the point where it really messes with your head.

On the pump, I never really felt totally better, but it made life liveable again. 

• Time to find a new doctor.  I had hyperamisis and the only thing that helped me was a zofran pump and iv therapy on top of PO meds.  I lost 20 lbs with my 2nd pregnancy and 30 with my 3rd pregnancy.  My OB saw me at 7 weeks when I was in the hospital with my twins and brought me in at 7 weeks for an appoitment with my 3rd pregnancy.  They also called in a script for zofran when I called and said I was queezy. 

They wanted to give me a PICC line and a feeding tube with my youngest son at 14 weeks after I had been in the hospital about 4-5 times and still was losing weight.

I'm 15 months pp with my youngest and I agree with goodheartedmommy with it messing with your head.  I still randomly puke and can't deal with smells or tastes or textures.  I brush my teeth and gag or puke every morning as a result.  I'm going come January to someone my therapist refered me to for help with this.  I was diagnosed with PPD/PTSD as a result of my pregnancy and everything thereafter.

• zofran!!!!! i had HG and it seriously was the only thing that helped - theres a generic version of it as well, that worked fine for me
  • The only thing that helped me was Zofran.  I had m/s all through my pregnancy too, it was a life saver.
    -Deborah

• What she really needs is a new OB, stat. ?I don't think I had hyperemesis, but I had m/s worse than average, and was petite to begin with, so the effects hit me quickly. ?My doctor had me on Zofran very quickly and it made a huge difference. ? ?

Any OB who doesn't see a PG woman day-of for any potential issue, or worse yet, hasn't seen her personally either of the two times she's been in the hospital, requires her to switch immediately. ?Since she hasn't even started with them yet for the pregnancy, it's actually a great time to switch.?

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
  • A couple of things....

1. I got a prescription (but when that was over.....)

2. sea bands (get them at CVS & never take them off! they are wristbands)

3. Peppermint tea...lots of it!

4. eat saltines and pretzels

I couldnt eat or drink either...nightmare. But seriously tell her to try those sea bands...and also after m/s passes and she starts gagging at the smell of everything, suck on lifesavors....they saved my life!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"