September 2012 Moms

Pregnancy Question - Bald Spot

crene84crene84 member
edited October 2013 in September 2012 Moms
I posted on the 3rd tri boards, but got zero responses.  Since most, if not all, of you have gone through pregnancy and are so responsive, I figured I'd try here.  Hope you don't mind!

I have Alopecia (a skin condition that can cause hair to not grow) and have had it my entire life.  Luckily, I'm almost 29 and have only been affected in one spot. Now, at 33 weeks of pregnancy, I noticed a new bald spot..probably about the size of a quarter.  It's right inside my hair line so not super obvious and I'm not exactly sure when it started, but am guessing it's fairly recent.

When Googling it, I see tons of stories of women who had similar experiences during pregnancy, even without having Alopecia.  I am wondering if any of you experienced something similar and if so, did the hair grow back after pregnancy?

I have an appt with a dermatologist tomorrow, but doubt they can really tell me if this is pregnancy, the Alopecia, something else..if it will grow back on its own..if it will get worse, etc..
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pregnancy Question - Bald Spot

• I can't speak specifically to the alopecia, however I have multiple chronic skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis, cystic acne) on different areas of my body and all of them changed during pregnancy.
  • I don't have a bald spot per say but the amount of hair I still lose on the daily can't be normal. fortunately its from different spots all over my head but my hair is seriously half as thick as it was pre-ds1.
    I am still nursing so I think that is contributing to my on going hair loss. When I weaned DS1 I remember not losing quite as much hair. hopefully the same will happen when I wean DS2.
    That wasn't very helpful, sorry. Hope the dermatologist has some answers for you!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Be prepared to lose lots of hair.

I have/had a bald spot and it appears to be fixing itself rather quickly.

• I'm not sure where in the hair line you're referring to, but in both of my pregnancies I did experience an extreme case of hair thinning in my hair line on either side. I'd describe the area to be the same spot men usually get their receding hairline. I didn't, however, notice chunks of my hair falling out during pregnancy, I just noticed one day my hair was basically gone in those two spots. It was the weirdest thing. Both spots are filling back in, but it's taken over a year to not look so obvious!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"