Washington Babies

What was your babies first food

besides cereal?  Since I am home with the snow today I think I am going to do some baking and freezing.  So what were some of your little ones first foods?

Re: What was your babies first food

• Audrey and Gabe arent quite there yet...  but bake a sweet potato and whirl the insides in a food process with water or formula to think it.... avocado is supposed to be yummy.... do the same thing...  squash....  green beans, peas....     I think we will do veggies before fruits.... but fruits...  bannanas, apples, pears....  I think my friend said her son liked mango (he might have been older)

fun fun... mess mess!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bananas then avacados.  He didnt' have cereal - never had rice, and had oatmeal a few months later... like around 9 months I think.

Freezer ideas:  sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots.

• Loading the player...
  • sweet potato and carrots, then peas, then green beans, reg. mashed potatoes, bannanas
  • I make pretty much all of Robbie's food. I did sweet potato first and butternut squash. I have done peas and carrots as well. I tried green beans but he hated them so I bought some comcercial green beans pureed and he likes them now.  I have also bought Gerber Pears, Prunes and peaches. OH and he really likes smashed up Banana and cereal together.

Oct 2011 3 1/2 years old.
    Robert Williams Birth date 5/16/2008
  • Well, I am not there yet but from nanny experience some of the previous foods mentioned...sweet potatoes and avocado seem to make great first foods. If you freeze them in ice cube trays and then put the cubes in a ziploc in the freezer, you can easily thaw individual serving sizes.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Peaches, pears, squash. She LOVED carrots.
  • P *loved* avocados and sweet potatoes.  She liked carrots too but they stopped her up.
  • Peaches.  Evie *LOVES* peaches!  I just cut them into sections, peeled them, and froze them.  When you defrost fruit after it's been frozen, it's mushy, so I didn't even have to cook the peaches.  I just threw them in the blender.

We also did avocado, peas, pumpkin, sweet potato, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and mango.

• My girls never had cereal at all. We started with avocado, which isn't really a good one to make ahead since it's so easy to just smoosh with a fork. Same with bananas, which was their second food. After that, I think we did apples, mangos, carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans. Mangos and pears are two of their favorites still. Oh, we also did plums and peaches and nectarines pretty early on.
  • I just used canned peaches and pears or mashed up fresh ones on the spot.  I didn't freeze any of those.

Did anyone have a problem with peas?  I couldn't get the "skins" of the peas to chop up in the food processor so there were little things Ben gagged on.

Definitely don't try to pre-mash and freeze bananas or avacados.  Those wil ljsut turn brown and gross.

Oh and applesauce is good.  Just buy the "natural" stuff.  Watch because I was amazed to find out that just the regular old Motts applesacuse is loaded up with high fructose corn syrup!  yuck.

• Thanks ladies!  Looks like I have a nice little list to start out with.  I think we too will start with Veggies.  I figure if I can get her to eat them then its one person I can have a veggie with, since DH wont eat any of them.  Silly boys.

• If you haven't already, check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com

They have a really good list of which foods to start with and how to prepare them. We started with sweet potatoes, squash, banana, avocado, apple, green beans, pear, peas, and carrots. Then we tried pumpkin, zucchini and we will do mango next. She loves them all :)

• Sweet potatoes were M's first.  Since then she's had bananas, apples, and butternut squash.  Her favorite was bananas, LOVES those!  Next up I'm trying green beans, carrots, and avocado - at least I think those are next, I have to double check to make sure it's all okay to give her at her age. 
    -Deborah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"