Baby Names

So the drug is not slowing down the "Molly's"

???
It seems like we've got about 5 Molly's in the last couple pages.
It wouldn't influence me if I was going for that name, but I guess I just thought that naming your baby alongside the most popular street drug might be an UO.
Guess not;)

imageimage

Re: So the drug is not slowing down the "Molly's"

• Wait... what drug? My name is Molly and I've never gotten any drug references or side-eyes over it.
    image image

• It's the "newest" drug fad. From what I understand its just heroine being remarketed to the kids.
    Google it.
    Local newscasters across the country are going crazy to scare parents all about it.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • mh89 said:

Wait... what drug? My name is Molly and I've never gotten any drug references or side-eyes over it.

I never knew your name was Molly!! Like Molly Weasley :)

And I don't think of drugs, I think of a classic name that has been used for centuries.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited September 2013
    There's a drug nicknamed "Molly" for the molecular form of the drug that some know as "x" or "Ecstasy."

It's probably a flash in the pan trend right now.  I wouldn't worry about it.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Yep, ecstasy. That's right! I miss spoke.

imageimage
  • TripMomma said:
    I think if you are not in the drug world it probably doesn't play in your decision. I love the name Molly and a street drug fad wouldn't stop me from using it. Just like the name Crystal doesn't make me think of meth first. That is just not where my mind goes. 
    I must watch too much Breaking Bad because Crystal automatically makes me think of meth now lol.
    image image

• mh89 said:
    TripMomma said:
    I think if you are not in the drug world it probably doesn't play in your decision. I love the name Molly and a street drug fad wouldn't stop me from using it. Just like the name Crystal doesn't make me think of meth first. That is just not where my mind goes. 
    I must watch too much Breaking Bad because Crystal automatically makes me think of meth now lol.
    Oh my gosh! Me too!! What has that show done to us?! haha ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Molly might grow in popularity and thus effect the name. 15 years ago, I don't think I had heard of meth and now I know so much that I'd accept nothing but the finest blue ;)
    Anniversary 
  • I've never heard of this, though I don't know any slang names for any drugs ::shrugs::.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "Molly" as drug slang has been in use for years.  It's not something new.  And it's part of a subculture that doesn't affect the world at large and probably won't have any influence on the name Molly which has been in use for far longer.

"John" has been well known slang for a toilet for much longer, and I don't see that name dropping in popularity. 
    Yeah, and "Charlie" is a pretty common slang for cocaine. I wouldn't be worried about it. Unless you were pretty entrenched in rave culture no one's going to think it.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lots of names can be nicknames for drugs. What about Mary Jane?
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Like others said, Molly is nothing new.  I just think because of Miley's song, it's in the forefront. I also think that will pass. I wouldn't hesitate to use Molly because of it, I think it's a beautiful name.
  • TripMomma said:

I think it's far beyond the "drug world," I've heard at least 3 shows on the subject of Molly on NPR in the past month or so.

The name is creeping up to Mary Jane status in my mind - lovely, but if I saw a little girl with that name Id assume her parents are stoners.
  • TripMomma said:

The name is creeping up to Mary Jane status in my mind - lovely, but if I saw a little girl with that name Id assume her parents are stoners.
    I think of Mary Jane from Spider-Man, so I'd assume they liked the comics/movies.

You can tell that my head is far from drugs haha
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • emmy236emmy236 member
    edited September 2013
    Yeah unfortunately Miley Cyrus is ruining yet another thing. But I actually think of the American Girl doll back when were the best and from historical periods. I personally had a Samatha but I know a lot of people had Molly's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"