1st Trimester

Bringing LO#1 to sono?

2»

Re: Bringing LO#1 to sono?

• I plan on bringing my 2 year old to my first ultrasound next week. She doesn't know mommy is expecting just yet so I'm going to let it be a little surprise. Plus my little girl loves surprises so it works out great.

I plan on bringing her to all my appointments. 

Mason Jack- 03/02/10 RIP Sydney Lillian- 05/05/11 Baby on the way due date 01/15/14
  • I brought my first to my seconds ultrasound, and my 2 to this ultrasound. Daddy came to to help keep things under control. They were both around or just under 3 when I had my ultrasounds. My doctor does a 30-45 minute scan first which they all had to sit in the waiting room for, and then she allowed them in to see baby for a few minutes once the initial scan was done. I think personally it's a good thing it makes the baby seem more real to them and they think it's the coolest thing to see baby in your tummy. I also think it may help slightly to be a part of getting them used to the idea that the baby is coming. 
    Mommy to 2 handsome boys, expecting a princess!
  • Loading the player...
  • Check with your OB to make sure he is a allowed. 

We brought DD and she is really well behaved. Truthfully, she didn't seem to care. She was more interested in playing with Daddy. She is now almost 21 months, but at the time she was younger.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• PesjssPesjss member

I had my kids come in at the end ( only time they are aloud) they r 5,4, and 1. They looked for about five mins then lost interest.

• They do not allow it :(
  • i will bring my 3 year old to at least one ultrasound.  i think it's a great way to bond with the baby and start making the connection (however vague it might be).

FWIW, one of my good friends brought her husband and two children to her anatomy scan, during which time they discovered catastrophic abnormalities with her baby.  she said it was very chaotic, stressful and sad to try to hold it together in front of the kids until a relative could come take them home.

so there's that element.  but surely that story is a very very rare occurrence, and shouldn't be viewed as anything more than a remote possibility.

• We brought our 4 year old to find out the sex of the baby and she had a really hard time sitting still.  The ultrasound ended up taking close to an hour and we hadn't brought any thing to distract her because she was excited about seeing the baby and we thought she'd just watch the screen with us the whole time.  We were wrong.  She went stir crazy and ended up having a mini-tantrum.  My husband almost had to take her out of the room and miss finding out the sex with me.  So I suggest not taking young children just because you don't know how long it will take but if you really are intent on bringing the older sibling along, bring activities for them to do. 
  • I would never bring my 2 year old to an ultrasound. He behaves well but I want to focus on the baby and its health, not whether my toddler is paying attention or not. We'll either take him to daycare on appointment days or get a sitter.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • I personally would not bring a 2 year old to a u/s appointment, well behaved or not. it takes a lot of time and they tend to get bored. They won't understand what is really going on either and they find the most inopportune times to want mommy. Which would also cause your DH to miss a big part of the appt if he had to go out with your LO. When I had my a/s with DS the tech would not even let him come in until she was done doing her measuring because they don't like to be disrupted with questions. They have a job to do. You can always show LO pictures of the u/s if you think it will help them connect, but they really are too young to fully understand the concept.

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't, just because I'm PGaL and always scared of bad news....BUT, my OB's office allows you to bring a DVD to record it, so I plan to show that to DS sometime afterward.
  • I have to go in at 6 weeks since my last pregnancy was high-risk. We haven't told anyone, so we don't have any options unless we want the secret out; but I have no problem bringing my son in with me - he's 2 yrs and some months, and I would consider him well-behaved (for a 2 yr old). I'd like to think we're in similar situations here, so yes, I would bring my child with me.
  • I plan on taking both of my older kids, My ob practise is VERY child friendly, my older children go with to every ob appointment as long as it is not a pap, or something I have to undress for.
    image image 
  • It totally depends upon the child behavior. Sometimes children get excited by seeing all this, sometimes they get bored. So it's totally depend upon you. If you want to take your child with you then go ahead but only if your hospital allow it.
    Discuss it with your family and decide what you want to do.

• @childtocherish This post is from January. I'm pretty sure she is not pregnant anymore and doesn't need the advice.
  • Did not know some offices don't allow children. Mine not only allows children but one of the nurses will entertain them for you if need be. They have an area in the nurses area filled with books and toys. at my pap last year she was 1 1/2 and made the tiniest of peeps, a nurse came right in and took her, when my appt. was done i found her playing ball with two nurses and three kids. they say its a nice way to break up the day. My husband isn't able to take time off work and we have no family within 3 hours of us. So I have to bring her.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"