1st Trimester

This helped my nausea, what's helped yours?

2»

Re: This helped my nausea, what's helped yours?

• Nothing helped mine actually. The gingerale, crackers or even medicine from my doctor. I just had to let it pass but now that I only get nausious from time to time If I have a popsicle or icee that helps alot. I also know I need to stay away from milk in the morning cause that causes me to feel sick.

• JoDocJoDoc member
    I was told to try Peppermint Essential Oil.  I put one drop on my hand then lick it off.  I can also put a drop or 2 in a small amount of water.  I'll admit, it works for a couple of hours, but now the smell of peppermint makes me nauseous as well.  Regardless, it does help.  I just need to wash out the cup and "hide" the bottle so I don't smell it in-between.  I haven't vomited at all, but I have this "rolling nausea" all day long.  I'm able to drink fluids and eat if I don't have to think about it, but if my hubby asks what I want for supper, it's going to be "nothing".  However, if he fixes supper and puts the plate in front of me, I'm fine.  Crazy, I know.  But he's great at taking care of me. :) 

• Loading the player...
  • I am on baby number 2 and have extreme nausea as well.  I have found soda crackers and ginger ale to be helpful.   Salty things like pretzels or potato chips work some too.  I eat my main meals in the mid morning and mid afternoon.  Those times of day seem to stay down.   Lemon ice water works some too.  I avoid a lot of dairy.
  • Gardetto's snack mix has been something I can almost always eat (I think it's the carbs). Also the instant breakfast packets you mix with milk have been a life saver ( they're a lot like ensure). Protein bars too, when meat sounds icky ... Which has been most of my first trimester. I'm at 13 weeks now so I am hoping the nausea and vomiting stops soon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • drinking water immediately in the morning, also having tortilla chips on hand when I started to get hungry. something about the salt really helped. If it was really bad, I would take some tums and get something nutritional but also salty. 
  • I haven't been sick but have rolling nausea in the afternoons. I've found that snaking on Trader Joe's Ginger Cat cookies all day long is keeping it at bay. Just a handful (they're small) every twenty minutes or so, and since they're low in calories they're not causing me to inflate in weight. I also have a banana for breakfast every day, but I've always done that so I don't know if that's making a difference or not. Good luck!
  • Claud6Claud6 member
    Perrier mineral water!
  • Be careful with ginger. In large amounts, it can be dangerous during pregnancy. My OB told me to only consume foods with small amounts of ginger. Absolutely DO NOT take ginger as a supplement without consulting your OB!!! 

With my first pregnancy, I was so sick all day through my second trimester, that I lost 20 lbs!  My second pregnancy, my doctor told me to take B6 and I dont think I threw up more than once or twice. This is my third pregnancy. I was very sick beginning at about 5 weeks until about 16 weeks. And I slept A LOT!  I took 50mg of B6 morning and night with this pregnancy and my last. It really helps! I couldn't tolerate any kind of food except fresh fruit. Mostly bananas, black grapes, and a ton of watermelon! Snacking on these constantly throughout the day kept the actual vomiting at bay on most days. I also opted out of the prenatals when I started being sick and just doubled up on my kids' vitamins and added a folic acid tablet. They take the Little Critters gummy vites and they are really yummy and easy to get down and keep down. I am 19 weeks now, and I've just started back on my prenatal vitamins. But I have to take them at bedtime to tolerate them. I wish I had known about the sea bands before.. would have loved to try them! (Not really sick anymore, Praise The Lord!)

Also, my not healthy go too.. Sprees candy and SweeTarts!  Sour candy helps alot with nausea, but if you eat very much of it then you need to use a toothpaste that helps to harden and rebuild enamel. (Sensadine Pronamel works well)  Sour stuff, especially lemons/lemon juice is great, but will eat up the enamel on your teeth due to the acid content! 

This is what has helped me.. hopefully it will benefit some of you too! :) 

• Cinnamon!! Red hots and cinnamon disks! It was a total accident, I felt a little ill when my Brother in law was watching a video of a guy projectile vomiting, I grabbed the red hots he'd been snacking on and they worked like a charm!
  • The BEST tip I got was to understand that it might not be a one solution fix, and that stacking different methods would be my best bet. Just make sure if its different meds, you get your OB/midwife's ok.

Stay hydrated, getting dehydrated makes the nausea worse.  If you can't stomach water, try popcicles, sucking ice cubes, lemonade, etc

Also, make sure you are getting protein - I can't do much meat and dairy makes the nausea worse, so I've found some Cliff bars I like, used Ensure when I couldn't keep solids down, and have been living on BLT's with avocado.  I notice I definitely feel better when I maintain my protein levels.

Also, the B6/Unisom (which I believe is similar to Diclectin) has been a LIFE SAVER.  Zofran helps with the vomiting, but doesn't always work with the nausea.  

Also, don't get hungry and don't eat too much at once.   

Everything else has been hit or miss, sometimes candy works, sometimes gum works, sometimes I can handle mint, sometimes crackers and starches help, but they seem to only last for so long - as in I've been half way through a baked potato and suddenly can't deal with the taste anymore. What works today, won't tomorrow and vice versa.

In the end, some days nothing helped and I ended up in the ER for dehydration due to food aversions and vomiting.   Hooray for hyperemesis.

pregnancy due date Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • My ob told me to have a bite or two of anything in the middle of the night when I get up to pee!  World of difference!  Also dry cheerios!
  • I am experiencing nausea, but I have not thrown up (crossing my fingers).  My aunt recommended eating a few saltine crackers before I even get out of bed. I gave it a try this morning and my morning was a lot smoother! I don't eat meat, so I am trying to get protein without having to eat a lot, because I can't stomach it right now!    Nothing but fruit, juice and Italian Ice sound appealing, so I am trying to graze on almonds and cheese, so I can get some protein.  I've also tried watering down the "Naked" protein drink, because I think it is really chalky tasting.  It has 30g of protein. 

• God bless the creator of Jolly Ranchers!
    formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • I had horrible morning sickness and when it got really bad that I could hold nothing down, I would drink pedialyte. From this I discovered that if I would drink a litter when I woke up, my sickness would be gone all together or much much better. On bad days I would even drink it some through the day. On the plus side, they also make it in packets that you can mix in water bottles.
  • Emetrol is helping me lol I'm also keeping food in my stomach as best I can.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I suck and eat lemons. Also gingerale and saltines helped me too.
  • Watermelon, cold, cold water, Coca-Cola and not thinking about anything that made me sick.  Oh, and taking my prenatal right before bed instead of in the morning. 
  • Chimes ginger chews, war heads, saltines, ginger ale

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Carbs - toast, bagels, lots of pasta  and drink plenty of water.
    surprise BFP 7/12/05 = missed m/c and D&C 9/28/05; TTC since 10/06; 1/16/08-D&C to remove bicournate uterus; 4 IUI's = BFN, 2 IVF's = BFFN. 8/5/09 Surprise BFP!! = another missed m/c and d&c 9/28/09 IVF #3 May 2010 = BFP!!!!  Beautiful DD born 1/16/2012.  8/1/13 Surprise BFP!!!  EDD 4/13/14.
  • Doterra Ginger and Peppermint Oils helped me a lot! Life savers!
  • I know this will sound crazy but tomatoes fresh from my garden seem to be one of the only things that help. That and Perrier. BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary 

mean_girls_35345 
      image image
  • Seltzer water mixed with Powerade.

PreNate AM (doctor prescribed prenatal for the morning with Ginger and B Vitamins)

Eating a snack in the middle of the night

Eating whatever my body will tolerate rather than forcing myself to eat something I have no taste for.

• zofran + b6
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am 11 weeks and had bad "morning" sickness that lasted all day. 

I liked toast, ginger ale, coke, white rice, saltines, pizza, and grapes. 

The feeling has been subsiding a bit & I wish all of you the best of luck!!!
  • I'm eating all day but I've already gained around 4- 5 lbs and I'm only 7 weeks! Ritz crackers with or without hummus helps. I will try the b 6 and sea bands. I'm worse in am and around dinner time which makes me worthless at dinner - I love to cook (or used to haha) so my hubs  who never really cooked keeps making pizza and other easy unhealthy food. I'm getting grossed out by it now and am totally confused about what I want for dinner! Think I might stick with cheerios or something  
  • b6 3x daily and eating whenever i'm hungry, regardless of the time of day. i've had 2 breakfasts every morning for the last 2 week, because that's when i'm hungriest. also taking time out to just chill and relax if it gets bad. i feel better once i've had a lie down, but this is not always practical. very occasionally, i'll pop 1/2 a phenergan as i use them for travel sickness, or if i have a long meeting and know i won't be able to snack whenever i like. 

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Based on my mom recommendation that you can eat many fruits, because it will helping your stomach to be better and also can make you and your baby more healthy.
  • Dill Pickle Juice

• sea bands and preggie pops have helped me so much... along with lots of saltine crackers!
  • a glass of milk! it is the only thing that worked for me, and it was instantaneous.  if I feel sick, one sip and its gone. beyond bizzare
  • I take Ginger Root capsules I buy at GNC. It helps morning sickness, heart burn, and constipation :)

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• I'm on baby number 2, and I had horrible nausea with my son from weeks 4-30! I'm only 5 weeks, and it's pretty bad already. Some things that have helped me are the BelVita breakfast biscuits in the morning and a big spoonful of peanut butter as a mid morning snack.
  • Last pregnancy it was apple juice with ice in it.  When even that stopped working, my OB suggested Unisom, and oh my god that shit is a miracle drug!  One pill each night and I felt great all day until bedtime.  It was meant to be an anti-nausea drug but kept putting people to sleep so they remarketed it. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Hello everyone- this is my first time posting! I'm 11 weeks and am getting nasuated without actually throwing up. Two ago, eating constantly helped and I craved everything. Lately though nothing sounds appealing and it's a struggle to eat so I don't feel sick.

Has anyone else experienced this? What have you still been able to force down even though your appetite is lacking?

• clplath said:
    Hello everyone- this is my first time posting! I'm 11 weeks and am getting nasuated without actually throwing up. Two ago, eating constantly helped and I craved everything. Lately though nothing sounds appealing and it's a struggle to eat so I don't feel sick. Has anyone else experienced this? What have you still been able to force down even though your appetite is lacking?
    Smoothies.  Something bulky, like peaches/bananas, and then berries to make it taste awesome.  I use OJ as a base because I don't like milk based smoothies, but some people find that too acidic.  I also add a tablespoon of nut butter for protein.  Hope you feel better!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I am 10 weeks today and it has been smooth. Not much morning sickness. I crave salt & vinegar chips, that eases nausea for me. lol 
    BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary
  • I thought that I had it all figured out, ladies. I was doing saltines in bed before I moved. It worked for 3 days....today, I lost :(  Boo for MS and nausea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"