Toddlers: 24 Months+

Language of 2.5-3 Boys

Hi,

I do not post on this board (usually Special Needs Board), but I was hoping you guys would be willing to answer a few questions I have about "typical" speech and language of boys between 2.5-3.

My son has been in speech therapy for 9 months and has recently turned 3.  I only have nieces, and they talk A LOT.  I mean not just talking but complex thoughts and sentences for their age.  For example, the 14 month old says thank you, grandma, her sisters name, the dog's name.  The 3 year old says all kinds of long sentences.  She talks about princesses and what she did at the daycare, feelings etc. 

My son is no where near that.  He said mama around typical time (under a year) but said no other words until his 2nd birthday and then was only using nouns and no verbs.  He also was dx with a receptive language delay (meaning he did not understand what we said at the age level he should have)  This has led to problems with every typical daily activity since he doesn't understand what you are saying much of the time. For example I can't give him expectations on what to expect when we are at a place.  He doesn't understand "this first" and then "this next".  He lives in the here and now.

Therapy has been a long and emotional road for me and my husband.  Its hard to put in a nutshell exactly what my son is like.  He has responded so well to speech therapy though.  He is speaking in sentences now, but still way behind his peers.  He also still has trouble with you asking him anything that we have not practiced over and over. 

I guess my question is, mothers of boys-- what is your child saying/understanding?  Can you describe the way they talk?  How aware are they of social contexts like someone being mad at them?  Do they have a concept of "tomorrow" or referring to something not right in front of them?

TIA-- it means a lot Big Smile

Re: Language of 2.5-3 Boys

• DS is a November 2010 kid, so just past 2.5yrs old.

He can speak in sentences, asking for what he wants or talking about what is going on around him.  He definitely understands when somebody is mad or sad at him in real life as well as when he sees it in a movie.  For example last week when I was away from him for a week for work, he was watching Ice Age Melt Down with his Dad.  In a scene where Ellie is flashing back to seeing her mother as a baby he said "Ellie misses her Mommy, Lincoln misses his Mommy" so he made the connection there.

He does have a concept of later on or tomorrow.  He understands when you ask him to do something in a sequence, but sometimes gets off track and needs reminding part way through.

He is a chatty kid, definitely has the gift of the gab.  He is rarely silent.  He likes to fill any silence when we aren't talking with singing songs or talking about what he's seeing if we're driving.  

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS1 will be 3 in a couple weeks and is very verbal. He has developed the stutter where he repeats a word because his thoughts are faster than his mouth but his vocabulary is huge. He speaks in full sentences and is very imaginative. He's a sponge for words and I have to constantly remind people to watch what they say in front of him.

He understands and recognizes emotions in himself and others and will attempt to manipulate by saying something makes him sad or scared to get his way.

He seems to have a grasp of time in the sense of tomorrow and soon but I couldn't say how well he understands beyond a few days.

There is a wide range of a normal though. My nephew is 3 1/2 and barely spoke until after 3 and now it's like talking to a little man.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies.

Its so hard when the future is unknown and also hoping he doesn't "hit the wall" and not improve to the extent he needs to.  I was curious about the imagination thing.  He isn't there yet.  He is very social as far as wanting to talk to everyone and lately will not stop hugging complete strangers!  This happened while waiting to get a hair cut and while standing in line at the store and other instances.  He is a very happy kid.  

The ways you were both describing your sons was about what I was thinking they would be at.  I enrolled him in preschool for the fall and we (husband and speech pathologist) that he will gain even more language. Thank you for sharing

• imageMicelle78:

I guess my question is, mothers of boys-- what is your child saying/understanding? My 3 year old speaks in full sentences and has complete conversations with adults.  Adults other then myself can understand him about 80% of what he says.  he does get over excited sometimes and stutters a bit, but when we remind him to slow down, he does better. 

Can you describe the way they talk? Like I said, he is understood about 80% of the time by adults.  He speaks clearly except for when he is excited

How aware are they of social contexts like someone being mad at them? Yes he understands others emotions- mad, sad, etc and how they speak when they feel a certain way 

Do they have a concept of "tomorrow" or referring to something not right in front of them?  Yes. 

TIA-- it means a lot Big Smile

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• My son is only 2, but I can't imagine he'll be this advanced in 6 months to a year.  I can only understand less than half of what he says right now, and it's never complex.  I also wonder about his receptive language.
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAsOctoberFalls:
    My son is only 2, but I can't imagine he'll be this advanced in 6 months to a year.  I can only understand less than half of what he says right now, and it's never complex.  I also wonder about his receptive language.

Its is really amazing how much their language skills develop from 2 to 3 years old.  I remember a year ago my husband and I were considering taking him in for an evaluation because we were worried about his speech.  And then suddenly, BOOM! language explosion.   His language gets better and better but sometimes its hard to see the growth.   One thing I did to settle my own nerves was I would video record him every month or so, and then I would watch the old videos.  It was so amazing to see the difference in his expressive and receptive language from video to video.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• DS is almost 4, and he has just recently begun to understand tomorrow, yesterday, etc in a concrete way.  As a young 3, he used and understood them very loosely.  Any time in the past might be called "yesterday," and anytime in the future "tomorrow."  The past year has been huge for him understanding time.

He has been talking in sentences since around 18 months.  Last summer, when he had just turned 3, he was able to play imaginatively with his 4.5 year old female (very verbal) cousin, including spontaneously coming up with and expressing ideas in their pretend play.  The receptive language delay you described sounds very challenging.  DS didn't really talk until 17 months, but he signed and had excellent receptive language, which made communication relatively easy.  He had a language explosion at 17 months and went from fewer than 5 words to hundreds in about a month.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • imageemberlee3:

DS is almost 4, and he has just recently begun to understand tomorrow, yesterday, etc in a concrete way.  As a young 3, he used and understood them very loosely.  Any time in the past might be called "yesterday," and anytime in the future "tomorrow."  The past year has been huge for him understanding time.

He has been talking in sentences since around 18 months.  Last summer, when he had just turned 3, he was able to play imaginatively with his 4.5 year old female (very verbal) cousin, including spontaneously coming up with and expressing ideas in their pretend play.  The receptive language delay you described sounds very challenging. Yes it is very challenging and it holds up progress of understanding all the other parts of being a little kid.  I describe him to close friends as if he speaks Chinese and the rest of us don't.  He is very smart and that's frustrating too.  He knew his alphabet & numbers before he turned 2--- all his shapes, colors, lower case letters and could count to 37, and knew all the united states before 2.5

However, he still can not carry on a simple conversation, do imaginative play that requires talking, or follow more than very simple 1 or 2 step commands, or understand the concept of "later, tomorrow, etc"  DS didn't really talk until 17 months, but he signed and had excellent receptive language, which made communication relatively easy.  He had a language explosion at 17 months and went from fewer than 5 words to hundreds in about a month.

• DS turned 2.5 in June. He was on the early side with verbal skills and developed a stutter around age 2 that has mostly gone away. He is somewhat deliberate in choosing and pronouncing words, but he has an excellent vocabulary and excellent understanding. I'd say that everyone (us and others) can understand about 95% of what he says.

He speaks in complete sentences. He does a lot of pretend play with his sister and can talk about "pretend" things as well as real. He can talk about his feelings and understand others' feelings. When his sister gets in trouble and has a time out or something, he will sometimes note, "Katie's in time out, but I am sitting VERY nicely in my chair," and that sort of thing. He has a concept of time but interesting you mention that. He said something last night but used the word "tomorrow" instead of the word "yesterday"--so he gets the concept but hasn't nailed down the details of how you talk about it. He will ask when we are going back to our vacation cottage, and he doesn't understand what "2 weeks" means, but he knows it's not "today" or "tomorrow". He can talk about places/things etc that are not right in front of him, for sure, and does often (i.e. when I went to the store with Daddy, we saw a FIRE TRUCK; or, "Mama planted some pretty flowers outside" or "Uncle Danny got an owie on his finger when he was fixing the washing machine.") We just moved and we talk a lot about new house vs. old house and he clearly gets that and talks about it himself.

I hope that helps. Good luck! Maybe your son is poised for a big developmental leap soon. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DS turned 3 a month ago.  I would say that he has a bit of a speech delay as well.  He has had chronic ear problems, he had his first set of tubes placed before he was 1 and his second set placed at 2.5.  DD who is 5 has chronic ear issues as well and is on her third set of tubes, but was VERY verbal from about a year and a half.  DS can ask for some things that he wants and repeat things that are said to him, because he is home with me all day while I work, I understand more of what he says then any outsiders do, but I would say about 70% of what he says people can understand. There is a definite frustration on his end when he can not communicate the things that he wants or needs.  So for all that he can't or doesn't say, at 2.5 he knew his entire alphabet and the sounds associated with each letter. At this point due to the fact that he has not yet been in a preschool setting or daycare we have decided to give him 3-6 months in that type of setting before having him evaluated for speech (also waiting because we are moving and those types of services are based on the county we live in and we are moving from one county to the other).  His hearing is evaluated regularly, and we do know that he can hear, but seeing how he does in a social setting such as school will help us to determine the next steps for him.  

• RHitchRHitch member

My son is 2.5 years old and his is very verbal.  He talks in complete sentences, understands what I say, understands when someone is mad at him, and he understands today/tomorrow and his days of the week. He talks almost as well as my 5 year old and he is not even 3 years old yet.

My daughter is 5, but she could not do all of this at 2.5 years old.  In fact, she didn't start talking at all until she was 2 years old.  I thought she needed speech therapy, but my husband assured me she was ok.  By the time she was 3, she could recognize all of the letters and knew all of thier sounds (english and spanish).  She could also count and recognize all of her numbers. By the time she was 4 she was reading books, and at 5 she is reading chapter books. She is extremely intelligent, but she still has days where she is talking so fast I have to slow her down. She is right on track with speech development with kids her age.

Please do not worry to much about your son. They are all diffrent and develop much differently.

• kc192kc192 member
     My son is a little over two and he just said Mommy for the first time on his second birthday. He just said daddy for the first time yesterday. He was starting to talk around a year and after a while stopped saying most of his words. After quite a bit of panicking it turned out the dr was right, this can be normal, and he is talking again. Just very recently though. In the past 2 days he's picked up about 5 new words and even said a sentence. But when he does talk he is very clear and everyone can understand what he says. That's kind of his personality though, he's a perfectionist and hates doing things unless he knows he can do them well. I don't think he understands the concept of "tomorrow" but... maybe? If he asks to go to the zoo and I say "we'll go tomorrow" he doesn't keep asking so... I"m not sure!
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• Thank you everyone.  Its good to hear everyone's experiences even though it still hurts my heart to read it.

We are very hopeful for him and he has been in speech therapy for 10 months and OT for almost two now. He will be starting preschool in September. Its really one of those one day at a time situations and celebrating ALL the successes no matter how small. 

• My son is 2 years 3 months. I think tomorrow is a difficult concept for him. He does talk a lot about anything on his mind. This morning he says "wake up mama. Morning" he also says"no more night night clothes" to get out of his PJs. He talks about not getting buzz light year wet (pic is on his pull up). He talks about what he wants to eat and drink. He asks where I am or daddy is when we're not home. He names kids in story books after kids in his class. All of his talking really exploded over the past 2 months though. Before that it was small words here or there. I didn't start talking much until about 3-4 years on and went on to achieve a lot academic wise- so I wouldnt put too much weight on it right now.
  • guess my question is, mothers of boys-- what is your 0child saying/understanding?  Can you describe the way they talk?  How aware are they of social contexts like someone being mad at them?  Do they have a concept of "tomorrow" or referring to something not right in front of them?

My son is 2 years and 7 months now.  He can say everything we say now.  Though he says things like "snack" like "ha-nack."  He understands who people are, how to do what I ask him, etc.  He has been very aware of how others are feeling for maybe 6 or 7 months.  He will tell us the baby is sad.  Or if she is smiling that the baby is happy.  Lately he has become very sensitive to how we are feeling and is very empathetic.  He does understand if someone is angry/upset/sad/mad and he gets very upset about it.
    As far as "tomorrow" goes, he does understand that after he sleeps at night, it is tomorrow.  But I think he's grasped that concept fairly recently. 

You are getting help and doing the best you can.  He will get it and eventually catch up!  :]
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • We are also going through speech therapy with our 26 month old and he has both a mild expressive and receptive delay. I feel like though his receptive language is a little better than the therapist believes because he does much more with us than her (like he will put his clothes in the dirty hamper, throw things in the garbage, wash his hair, gives hugs and kisses good bye etc). He can point to things in books and say what they are and sometimes what they are doing (sleeping, brushing teeth etc). He JUST started asking for things like he will go to pantry and say raisins or chips. He recently has learned to say "please outside!" and push me towards the door.

He has trouble making choices and answering yes or no questions. Like he will just say YA! to everything or say OK or just repeat it back, we are working on the echolalia, she says its a bit more than normal toddlers. He does say randoms things a lot too like songs or his favorite parts in books which kind of scares me because someone said that could be a sign of ADD.

I blame most of it on his first 2 years of life in a small NYC apartment with very little interaction with his peers, and I am also a very quite person too. But as soon as me moved back home to Fl within 2 months all of a sudden he just exploded with words and now we are just trying to get him to understand how to properly use them all. I was thinking about it and I never had him make choices for himself, I never taught him yes or no or never made him ask for anything. I just always did everything for him. He starts preschool on the 20th and I think with therapy and me out of the picture he will learn that he is going to have to speak up and he will see the other kids and hopefully learn more about language and pick it up. He just needs more experiences than we have given him to use his language is how I feel.

I know its is so hard comparing and analyzing everything they do, and googling, THE GOOGLING is the worst and I will never do it again. I just have to learn to take a deep breath and just love him and make him laugh and celebrate every new words or phrase he is learning and know he will catch up. You are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing and early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • My twins have a speech delay. They have had speech therapy since Nov of last year. They will be 3 in Oct. DS is worse. He isn't speaking in sentences but does understand everything we say. We are hoping he starts talking more soon as his frustration level at times is horrendous. I did have a lot of people tell me not to worry that their kids didn't talk until 3! Good luck with your little man.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My DS is about to be 3 and is very talkative. It wasn't always that way, though. For a while he just spoke in short sentences and then something just clicked.

He is still working on feelings. He understands the differences, but not always how verbalize how he feels or how to react to others. For instance, he will point out another child crying and say they are sad, but if he is crying won't typically be able to explain that he is sad or frustrated.

He gets the idea of the future, but if we say we're going to the aquarium tomorrow he wants to pack up his things and go now. This may be more about living in the moment than not really getting the concept.
  • My guy turned 4 in June, so he is a bit older, but we have had him in speech therapy since he was 2 so while it is frustrating, confusing and upsetting at times I saw a major change in his speech around 3 1/2. That was when he started to actually understand what we were saying to him, could somewhat create his feeling into words, and started to use words in his play. He was/is really good about dressing himself in actions and sound effects instead of actual words. 

He just started to talk in sentences in the past 3-6 months, and he is now finally getting the concept of "tomorrow".  

At 2.5-3 D was on a 1-5% scale to his peers, with a lot of therapy he is at 25-35%, which is still frustrating. But try to not compare him to his peers, it only makes you crazy ;) 

Honestly, if you are offered early development preschool, DO IT. That was when we saw the biggest improvement was when he started preschool at 3. 

Hang in there mama! 
    Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"