February 2013 Moms

any bilingual babies?

This is random, but...

I know that there are some ladies on this board who live in countries outside of the U.S. I always forget that in real life (outside of the bump world), you may not speak English. So, I'm just curious...are you teaching your babies both languages? Or, if you are in the U.S., but speak another language fluently, are you going to teach your babies early on?

I live in the U.S. and am not fluent in any other language, so it's not like I'm considering it or anything. I'm just curious. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: any bilingual babies?

• I live in Canada and was educated in the French school system.  I'm planning on putting DS in Froncophone school (even though DH and I are Anglos).  I'm going to speak French to DS early so he won't be completely confused when he starts Kindergarten, but I haven't started yet. 

• DH is Peruvian, so we'll be raising DS bilingual EnglishSpanish. We both speak both languages, but the plan is for DH to speak to him in Spanish, and me to speak in English. Though we have a couple bilingual story books, and I read them in Spanish sometimes, since I'm the one at home all day ;

I like yarn: Learner's Per-knit

Preggo blog: There's No D#$% Stork
  • Loading the player...
  • We're in Canada and are thinking of French immersion schooling for LO, (neither DH or I speak French but it's quite helpful for the future when she's applying for jobs). My DH and I also speak separate dialogues of Chinese and would like to place her in weekend Chinese Cultural lessons. I thought this might be too much, but apparently, children at a young age can compartmentalize languages and have no problem learning multiple languages...here's hoping that's true!

• DH is German, so we're raising the girls bilingually English/German. DD1's language development is a little slow, which isn't atypical for bilingual children. I'd say she says about 50% of the words she says in German and 50% in English. Of course, there are many that are the same in both languages (she calls balls "Kick" which is the same in both, for example). She understands both languages really well, though. Definitely at the level of a monolingual child of her age.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• alakealake member
    My five will speak at home:
    French, which is my first language and English.
    DD1 will start Spanish in school in September.
  • Why is mine just showing code?  Gah, I'm too tired to do this properly, I think.  I'll try again tomorrow.

• We already speak to LO in different languages.  My girlfriend is fluent in French and speaks to her in French, I speak in English and respond to girlfriend in French when around LO, and LO's father speaks German with her.
  • My 3 year old is fluent in english and Spanish :)) and this baby will be fluent in both as well :)))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"