August 2012 Moms

GTKY: Wedding

We've done this before, no? Maybe I'll ask some new questions. You'll have to forgive me, TK sucks and well, who doesn't love to talk about their wedding, right? ;)

So:

Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid:

Most expensive wearable item:

Biggest waste of money was on:

Something you would have done differently:

Best wedding related advice someone gave you:

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you:

And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix! 

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
SCANDAL!

Re: GTKY: Wedding

• I truly do not know our total cost.  I know that DH and I spent about $10,000 and my parents spent $20,000.  His parents also spent a lot toward the rehearsal, travel for family, and our honeymoon. We were engaged for 18 months so it was spread out.  Also, my parents went overboard and paid for a lot of things that they would not traditionally pay for (bridesmaids and groomsmen clothes, hotel rooms and plane tickets for wedding party, etc.)

DH's suit was our most expensive wearable item.  I had a $300 David's Bridal dress.

Biggest waste of money was flowers.  We went with a very pricey local florist and things looked like crap.  I could have done better myself with a trip to the flower market and some assistance from friends.

Something I would have done differently is have had more food served at 11:00 PM.  My friends have done various late night buffets (pizza, tacos) and it is awesome.  Keeps people having fun and helps the drunks sober up!

I don't remember much of the advice!  People did keep telling me to have fun, but I was really there to make sure the guests were having fun, so I thought that was silly advice.

No PIP; I'm on the iPad today! 

• Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid:
    Close to 6k

My dress, I got it on sadler, for 200

Nothing, we only bought the necessity

Started putting money aside earlier

At the end of the day, you still have to eat. Don't get caught up in the day/wkend and can't afford to eat afterwards

None.

And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: Not sure...$15K? That might include honeymoon.

Most expensive wearable item: my dress

Biggest waste of money was on: wedding planner

Something you would have done differently: Not hired wedding planner and made sure to actually eat some of the $$$ food I paid for ETA: Would have spent more $ on photographer, Could have taken the wedding planner $ and put it toward this.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: take time to stop and enjoy it

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: Anything on The Knot. J/K Sorta. The Knot is basically a whole community for the Baby Shower ladies. LOL There's some good advice, but you know your friends and family best so do what works for you.

dress3

dress2

Untitled
  •  Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: $10,000 plus another $2,000 for the honeymoon

Most expensive wearable item: $250. Got my dress at Filine's Running of the Brides. The price tag said $2,000 My veil was free because it was my Mom's 

Biggest waste of money was on: We were so cheap I can't think of any...H rented a car to transport us to and fro and I think that might have been unnecessary.

Something you would have done differently: Really nothing. I might have had someone videotape us but I really don't see myself ever sitting down to watch my wedding video. 

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: Don't worry about the things that go wrong because those are the things you will remember. Stop and enjoy the moment because it's fleeting. Oh and wear false lashes. And bring a crochet hook to do and undo dress buttons. And my last one: EAT. Don't forget to eat. 

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: Go video and don't worry about photos. 

ETA: The photo above is one of the things that went "wrong." My niece came up and held my hand and look what a sweet moment it was.  

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid: I'd say 25/30k , my parents and dh and I paid for it

Most expensive wearable item: other than my ring... My dress 1500

The whole wedding... We wanted a destination wedding, have too big of a family that put up a stink so we did it here... Had fun but could've bought a house instead... Hindsight 20/20

Something you would have done differently: picked a different caterer, she almost ruined my whole wedding. If I hadn't had a day of planner to fix everything I would've been screwed

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: cherish the moment because you put a years worth of work into a couple hours and then it's over... Oh and hire the best photographer money can get you. We did and it was the best decision we made.

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: hmmm I can't think of any right now

And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid: about 15k, my parents paid 10k and the rest I paid for

Most expensive wearable item: my dress

Biggest waste of money was on: all the "little" things: favors, programs, sparklers [even though that was one of my favorite parts], monogram napkins... Some people would argue that things like favors and stuff are bad etiquette not to have them, but TBH my guests lefts most of them behind, I had hundreds of leftover napkins and programs, and most people had left by the time we did the sparkler send off. If I left off those things or at least downsized or did generic forms instead of personalized, I would have saved maybe 1500 even though I DIYed those things.

Something you would have done differently: Vegas wedding! Total cost of the wedding would have been half of what we spent.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: ask for a copy of your ceremony and vows so you can reread them to each other each year on your anniversary.

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: your guests must be 100 percent satisfied at your ceremony and reception. I ended up spending too much time worrying about food, drinks, favors, coat racks, heaters [winter wedding], etc. that the days up to my wedding I was frazzled. In the end, I don't think everyone at any wedding could ever be completely satisfied. My family is pretty chill anyway, so I could have served hot dogs and beer and they would have been fine but I wish I had spent more of my days before the wedding enjoying myself instead of stressing over every little detail.

Eta: found a picture of my dress... Also this wasn't even a pro pic and probably my favorite of me in my dress.

• Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: $5000 - That also included our honeymoon, all food, hotel stay, etc.

Most expensive wearable item:  My wedding/engagement ring

Biggest waste of money was on:  Nothing.  We chose one of the least expensive wedding packages.  It included everything. 

Something you would have done differently:  I would have hired a photographer who wasn't included in the wedding package since ours was awful.  I also would have splurged on a dress I loved instead of settling for budget and hair/makeup.  I didn't feel pretty at all on my wedding day.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you:  No one gave us any advice. 

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you:  See above.

And, my dress.  It was a bridesmaid dress ordered in white.  It was too plain and simple for me.  

ETA: We paid for everything.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid:
    Four thousand? My parents paid for almost everything. I paid for my shoes and accessories. The reception was at the church so they paid for decorating and food. They did the decorating for my sister's reception so they felt it was worth it to pay someone.

My dress. It was 500 on clearance at a local shop. I saved my parents a couple hundred bucks by doing the alterations myself.

I don't really think there was one, we were pretty good about expenses.

Double checked assignments for the ceremony and reception.

Enjoy the day and write it down.

Don't try to remember it. It all happens so fast. What kind of advice is that???

I'm on mobile, sorry!
  • imagebigbootyjudi:

We've done this before, no? Maybe I'll ask some new questions. You'll have to forgive me, TK sucks and well, who doesn't love to talk about their wedding, right? ;)

So:

Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: Maybe 25K, my parents paid for most, H and I paid a little and ILs paid a little (rehearsal dinner).

Most expensive wearable item: besides my ring, the alterations to my dress.  My dress was either last season or a sample so it cost $300.  But the alterations were a little more than that.

Biggest waste of money was on: The whole wedding.  Don't get me wrong, it was wonderful, but I wish I would have gotten rid of the chip on my shoulder and just gotten married in my parents' backyard or Vegas, or small destination wedding.  It is just so crazy to spend so much for one day.

Something you would have done differently:  Not gotten drunk-classy bride, I know.  To be fair, by the end of the night, most people under 30 were too.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: I don't remember.

I don't remember.

• ccamccam member

Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid:  I think we ended up spending about $40K - our parents split the reception which was around $20K and we paid for the rest.

Most expensive wearable item:  My dress was around $1500 before alterations.

Biggest waste of money was on:  Nothing that I can think of.

Something you would have done differently:  Made my bridal party smaller and picked different bridesmaid dresses.  I tried to incorporate what all the girls wanted.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you:  A few things...Don't leave each other's side during the reception, the day is about each other.  Make sure to eat something.  You will never have enough time to spend with each and every guest and that is ok!  Go on a honeymoon!

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you:  Hmmm... can't think of the worst.

imageCS-1211'>

imageCS-3243'>

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: 10,000 my parents spent 7,000 the IL's paid 2,000 and we paid 1,000

Most expensive wearable item: the dress. We spent 850 on it after alterations 

Biggest waste of money was on: An ice cream bar... no one ate any.

Something you would have done differently: I can't think of anything right now

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: on the day of no one is going to notice if you flowers are wrong or everything wasn't just how you wanted it.  They will only notice the flaws if you point them out. 

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you:  I cant think of anything here either. 

My advice if your looking to save a little money. Is to buy a veil online... seriously! The veil I wore for all of 2 hours cost me $30 and it was perfect. If I would have bought the same exact one in the store it would have cost me $160 or more.   Also I can't remember where you from but if your from a big city but there is a nice small town with a bridal boutique I'd go there prices are way better. I found my dress while I was in the city they wanted 1500 for it... I went to my small town shop and they ordered the same dress for me and it only cost 750.

and finally here's a PIP 

Its the best I have on my work computer 

and it this pic you can see my little baby bump

Both of those pics were taken toward the end of the night and I was exhausted! 

• Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: Around $12,000 including honeymoon. Not including honeymoon it was about $9K. My dad paid for my dress: $1K. Mom paid for reception/food: ~$6K. Ceremony location was free! Flowers (ceremony d?cor-arch, 9 bouquets, 12 boutonnieres, 3 corsages, petals for 3 FG baskets and aisle, 15 centerpieces for receptions): ~$2k. We paid for the DJ, limo, photographer, and miscellaneous: ~$2k

Most expensive wearable item: Dress

Biggest waste of money was on: Flowers. I still can't believe my mom paid $2K for that. We could have had less flowers/smaller bouquets.

Something you would have done differently: I wish we had made some time for a dance for my mom and DH and me and FIL since we had done the traditional father-daughter and mother-son. It seems like they were gipped.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: Have fun.

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: I can't think of any right now...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I want to just refer to something Kiki said so I don't think a quote is necessary... She said the best advice given to her was to go on the honeymoon after the wedding or you'll never go. I am living proof that it is possible to not go right after the wedding. At the time, I didn't have much PTO saved up and then with it being the new year not much got rolled over so we planned to go on our honeymoon in May when our wedding was in January. The key to make sure we still went was we had everything booked and paid for before we got married. So it is possible. And we had an AMAZING time!
  • We spent about 3k. We had it at a country club in our hometown, and it's cheap as dirt in that town.

My dress was the most expensive. 800.

We didn't really spend an unnecessary amount on anything, truthfully.

I would have eaten actual food, if I had to redo the day. Everyone wanted to hug me and shizz and I didn't get a chance to eat anything besides cake. So my advice is EAT!

I'm on mobile, but my dress was off white, lace all over, with an empire waist, strapless with a slight sweetheart neckline. Loved it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid: About 25k, we paid for everything ourselves except my dress.

Most expensive wearable item: My dress. Almost 4k after alterations. I stupidly fell in love with it knowing it was outside my budget. I did not ask for such a generous gift but after shelling out for my stepsisters' weddings I'm fairly certain my parents considered this a bargain.

Biggest waste of money was on: I'm torn on this. In another post I mentioned my custom veil. But it was a special detail that is priceless to me now. So the only waste that still bugs me is the cake. We ordered enough for 180, 140 showed and unless 40 people had seconds there was a whole lot of cake thrown away. I should have been clearer with my instructions to save the leftover cake.

Something you would have done differently: In a parallel universe my sister would not have been too preggly to travel and would have attended.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: Stop and take mental pictures, take a honeymoon but don't leave the very next morning. We got some better QT with everyone at our day after brunch.

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: "You'll regret not having your mom there"...She was invited but chose to stay in FL with my very pregnant sister and I encouraged that arrangement. It's the cold truth but there was less stress without her there to stir up drama and steal focus.

And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix! Can we play wedding trivia again tomorrow when PIP from mobile is live?? Pretty please.

• imagestephaniemthomas:
    imageBaker_Bride:

Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: $10,000 plus another $2,000 for the honeymoon

Most expensive wearable item: $250. Got my dress at Filine's Running of the Brides. The price tag said $2,000 My veil was free because it was my Mom's 

Biggest waste of money was on: We were so cheap I can't think of any...H rented a car to transport us to and fro and I think that might have been unnecessary.

Something you would have done differently: Really nothing. I might have had someone videotape us but I really don't see myself ever sitting down to watch my wedding video. 

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: Don't worry about the things that go wrong because those are the things you will remember. Stop and enjoy the moment because it's fleeting. Oh and wear false lashes. And bring a crochet hook to do and undo dress buttons. And my last one: EAT. Don't forget to eat. 

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: Go video and don't worry about photos. 

ETA: The photo above is one of the things that went "wrong." My niece came up and held my hand and look what a sweet moment it was.  

I love your veil!  It's gorgeous!

Thanks! It was my Mom's. She used to be normalish.  

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• amaiteamaite member
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    We've done this before, no? Maybe I'll ask some new questions. You'll have to forgive me, TK sucks and well, who doesn't love to talk about their wedding, right? ;So:Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid:Most expensive wearable item:Biggest waste of money was on:Something you would have done differently:Best wedding related advice someone gave you:Worst wedding related advice someone gave you:And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix!nbsp; nbsp;nbsp;

We got married in city hall and it was just me, dh and the justice of the peace. Then we took the bus to my favorite restaurant. We wore clothes we already had and didn't get rings until about a year and a half after we were married. Our total was probably something like 60 or 75 that we paid ourselves. I have no regrets about it. We both came from poorer families and preferred to put the money toward establishing ourselves financially. And it wasn't stressful.
  • imagebigbootyjudi:
    We've done this before, no? Maybe I'll ask some new questions. You'll have to forgive me, TK sucks and well, who doesn't love to talk about their wedding, right? ;So:Total spent on entire wedding dress, reception, ceremony, etc. and who paid: 9000 bucks and my parents paid Most expensive wearable item: my dress which was 300something because I got it half off and it was already on sale. Biggest waste of money was on: nothing, we were very frugal Something you would have done differently: had more alcohol Best wedding related advice someone gave you: remember every detailWorst wedding related advice someone gave you: I don't remember. And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix!nbsp; nbsp;nbsp;
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oo ooo! PIP, mobile PIP!!! image

• Here is a dress pic! From mobile. image
  • alakealake member
    edited July 2013
    Total Spent:  15,000.  We paid for it, other than for the food, which was my ILs gift to us.
    Expensive wearable:  My dress cost me for the material.  My maid of honor is a dress designer as a side job.  She designed my and sewed my dress for me.
    Biggest waster of money:  I don't really have one.
    Something I would have changed:  I wanted to be married on my family farm, but my MIL wanted us to be married in her church.  I would have maybe stuck to my guns some more.
    Best advice:  Enjoy the day for what it was.
    Worst advice:  none.
    My wedding pics are on my computer in Miami, and I am home in Canada.
  • Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: Too much. Ill leave it at that. It was the wedding of my dreams in Hawaii with almost 200 ppl. Alot family that flew from the mainland. Patents paid for the open bar cocktail hour. Most expensive wearable item: My dress. It was a Maggie Soterro

Biggest waste of money was on: I would've chosen a different baker if I could do it over again.

Something you would have done differently:Not did our surprise wedding dance at the beginning of the reception. Not everyone had been seated just yet. Dumb DJ made that suggestion.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: My uncle who was a little tipsy grabbed the mic and announced during the reception, the best wedding wedding advice is "Yes Honey" (towards DH) It was halarious since hes been married for 37 yrs!

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you:???

SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid:
    My mom paid for the whole wedding including the rehearsal. I believe it was around $18k.

Most expensive wearable item: My dress! It was about $1500 with the veil and alterations.

Biggest waste of money was on: Hmm... I think we used our budget pretty well. Nothing comes to mind. Maybe shoes? Nobody saw them, I hate shoes, and I only have one pic of them I could have content without.

We got married on a cruise ship and then 70+ people cruises with us for 5 days after. I think if anything, I would have had a better photographer there rather than just the cruise photography.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: REMEMBER IT IS YOUR DAY... don't revolve it around everyone else.

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: Don't worry about the food. But we had amazing food and I think that was everyones favorite part!! People love to eat!!!

And PIP just yourself on your day, if you happen to be on the computer. I need a dress fix! I don't have one on my phone :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• CRey13CRey13 member
    Total spent on entire wedding (dress, reception, ceremony, etc.) and who paid: $11k we did.

Most expensive wearable item: my dress $750

We had a tight budget so only went with what was necessary.

Something you would have done differently: Hired a professional photographer.

Best wedding related advice someone gave you: the details do not matter as long as you are married at the end of the day. Remember the ultimate goal. Oh, and make sure to eat.

Worst wedding related advice someone gave you: go ahead and buy your dress now (a year and a half early) you will still fit into it. Darn stupid emotional feelings! It ended up being a right squeeze but doable.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"