February 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone read it?

Bringing up Bebe?

I'm halfway through and really enjoying it. It's interesting to see the difference in parenting techniques. There are definitely some great take-aways (I like the pause, how they teach kids to eat, and their view on mom guilt) and some of it I think differently on (breast feeding and high rates of medicated births). But even if you have completely different views on parenting, I really do recommend it as just a fun and interesting read.

I also find myself wanting cheese, and bread, and wine, and chocolate as I read it....  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
Lucy Kate 2/9/13
m/c 12/30/11 - our Christmas baby

Re: Anyone read it?

• Options

I read it very early in my pregnancy or maybe even before. I really liked it then, but you're making me want to re-read it now that I'm actually a mom! I think I'll get even more out of it. It was a very interesting read for sure. 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Like PP, I read it when I was pregnant and really enjoyed it.  I think I'm going to read it again now that I have a baby and see if it still rings true.  I too loved the Pause (and was planning on using it even before reading the book) and reading the menus that the kids get at daycare made me drool!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSagen:
    I read the info about it on amazon. I am curious to read it, but I really hate " 'murica"  talk, and dissing on America in general. Is it like that?

No, not at all.  It is about an American woman who marries a British man and they raise their daughter in Paris.  The author is very objective in her observations - Americans do this, Parisians do that.  She doesn't tout one over the other; she just relates her experiences as an American mother in Paris and what she learns from the mothers there.

I am reading it on and off (I'm at the Caca Boudin chapter) and I find it very interesting.  The Pause is a great takeaway and it has worked well for us.  I think it's a very intriguing "mommy" read.

• Options
    imagejkuhmann:

imageSagen:
    I read the info about it on amazon. I am curious to read it, but I really hate " 'murica"  talk, and dissing on America in general. Is it like that?

No, not at all.  It is about an American woman who marries a British man and they raise their daughter in Paris.  The author is very objective in her observations - Americans do this, Parisians do that.  She doesn't tout one over the other; she just relates her experiences as an American mother in Paris and what she learns from the mothers there.

I am reading it on and off (I'm at the Caca Boudin chapter) and I find it very interesting.  The Pause is a great takeaway and it has worked well for us.  I think it's a very intriguing "mommy" read.

What I like is that it's actually an enjoyable read. There are some good pieces of advice and mentions of studies that have been done, but overall it's more like a memoir of raising her children in a different culture. I had a ton of "parenting books" that I got a couple chapters into and got bored with. I like having something I'm enjoying reading, and also am able to get some take-aways from.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
    m/c 12/30/11 - our Christmas baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"