May 2013 Moms

Breastmilk Question

I have breastmilk stored in bags in the fridge. I took one out today, warmed it, and little one drank a little before falling asleep. How long is that bottle good for at room temperature? I see that room temperature bm is good for 6-8 hours, but does that mean only if it's never been refrigerated???? Help! I can't afford to waste any of my supply! lol

Thanks

Re: Breastmilk Question

• I don't think there's a definite rule but I have been told it should be ok until their next feeding.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would put it in the fridge...if its room temp I always go by the 6 hrs...

This link is helpful! https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/
  • Loading the player...
  • Also according to "the experts", once LO drinks the milk at all, it's only good for an hour. But there are many, many  moms on TB that say it's good for at least 1 more feeding if you put it back in the fridge. I've been too afraid to try.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • If you heated it up its no good.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Heres another question. If im going to be out for the day and want to take my refrigerated breastmilk, whats the best way to do that? And how would I warm it? Sorry for what may seem like ridiculous questions.

• Kellymom.com is a great resource with evidence-based advice. I'm no expert, but when I take my expressed milk along I just keep it in whatever container I stored it in and feed it to my LO at room temp. Although formula needs to be tossed once it's been fed/out for an hour, breast milk lasts much longer according to my LC. I usually feed her all of the milk within 6 hrs.

If you are concerned, store the refrigerated/frozen bagged milk in a thermos, then hit up Starbucks. Ask for a Venti cup of hot water half full and drop the baggie in it for a few moments.  

I haven't done it in a few weeks bc we are back to EBF, but when I go back to work I may have to be more flexible. Hope that helps.

• RoxZ32RoxZ32 member

I'm honestly not sure of the exact rules but if my LO didn't finish a bottle that was warmed I put it back in the fridge and give it at the next feeding. I usually won't leave it out at room temp for more than 30min. If I don't use the remaining milk at the next feeding, it's definitely used before the end of the day otherwise I toss it. If I am going out for the day and take a bottle that was refrigerated I usually just put it in my bag in the side pocket unless it's an outside event and is really hot I out put it in an insulated pack with a freezer pack thing. But if it's just in my bag without the frozen pack, it usually stays cool. I usually just ask for a glass of hot water at a restaurant to heat the bottle up in. If the bottle is room temp and I don't have hot water around, my LO will usually still drink it. Luckily she's not overly picky. Like I said though, I don't know all the rules and I'm sure the LC wouldn't approve of the way I do things but my baby is 10.5 weeks and we've never had a problem. Plus I will always smell it before giving it to her to make there no odor.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • cromie713 said:

I was told by LC that if you warmed the milk because it was pumped and refrigerated/frozen then it's only good for a hour and a half after warming. Not to be confused with pumped and then left out at room temp... That's good much longer

This.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"