August 2012 Moms

Birthday party question

I'm apparently a bad hostess because I wasn't planning any games to do for Liam's party because, well, mostly adults will be there with just a handful of kids.

However, I have a co-worker bringing her grandkid (I wasn't expecting but whatever) and she keeps asking me what games we're playing.  I have no idea!

So what are you doing?  Any planned games?  Should I plan some games?  

Re: Birthday party question

• Oh boy.  I'm annoyed for you right now. 

We haven't ever done games at the kids' parties until they stopped being family parties and started being friend parties.  I think it was when they each turned four.  Emery won't have games for his first either.  We will be doing bbq on the grill and will have water play set up in the backyard for our kids and the two younger cousins. 

I wouldn't worry about planning games for the other kids.  If you wanted to you could buy some bubbles and chalk and let them go to town with those, if you are having outside time. 

Sorry your coworker is being so imposing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We are having dinner and then cake after. Mina's cousins are coming but we aren't playing games or anything. We do Sunday dinners and it will be pretty much that but with cake and ice cream.

Maybe I'm the weirdo but I think it's odd that your coworker is so adament about games and stuff.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, we're having a carnival theme so games are required. ;)

I'm not going to go all out because I don't actually expect a lot of kids. 

• Balloon wall/darts
    • cup toss
    • cornhole 

Maybe one or two other DIY games.

None of the 1 yr bday parties I've been to recently had games, though.

• We aren't having any games, but we also don't have any kids coming that are old enough.

It kinda sounds like your coworker is bringing her grand kid just for the prospect of free stuff.
  • We'll only have an adult game - cornhole.  Other than DD, there is a 2-month-old baby and a 17-month old little boy coming.  We have a swing in the backyard that he can play on, and he can play with DD's toys, but we're not having any kid games.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • OK.  I was getting a little worried I was going to look like a lazy azz- here's a party with no fun.  LOL.  She went on and on about what games her daughter had for her grandkids at their 1 year party but I'm glad I'm not the only one not planning games. You gals rock.  I think I will get the bubbles and let them play with those.

I'm having white russians as the "adult milk" for our milk and cookies party so at least the adults will be entertained.  LOL .  

• We're not doing games. Only one of the 5 kids coming to W's party is actually old enough to play games.

Most of the birthday parties I go to don't have games. The kids usually run around and play.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemlynne37wiu:

imageLindsayDesigner:
    Maybe I'm the weirdo but I think it's odd that your coworker is so adament about games and stuff.

No, I agree with you.  

ITA. That's obnoxious of her to assume something about a party. We're just having splash polls and water tables. DD has some of her friends coming too but they can just play with her toys. It's DSs party and since he can't really play any strictured game I didn't feel the need to set any up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had some kids at DS's party, but we didn't play any games. It is unusual around here for games or treat bags to be done for a 1 or even 2 year olds birthday party.
    Tell her the party is for a 1 year old and you will only do things he can participate in, meaning eating, socializing and opening gifts.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm having six other children but I just plan to have a couple baby pools and sand toys. For later, I will have s'mores fixings because we are having it at the beach and most people are making a day of it. But again, we're having quite a few kids so we need to have activities for them. No formal games though. 
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• bigbootyjudibigbootyjudi member
    edited July 2013
    Uh, no. What a waste of time. No kid wants to sit down for a structured game for more than five minutes. And why would you have a game for ONE kid, who isn't even yours?

No games and let her know you won't be having any. If she doesn't want to come, then...one less person you have to feed.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• rMe6411rMe6411 member
    edited July 2013
    No games necessary... That's just silly. We will have quite a few one year olds there and a few older kids... Games didn't even cross my mind!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"