April 2013 Moms

how to adjust sleep schedule

My 3 month old is a great sleeper and we are thrilled he is up to 5 to 7 hr stretches at night. However those stretches are not when we want them. We usually get him to sleep between 7 and 9 pm and he will sleep until 1 and 3am. He is up every 2 hrs after that though. I have tried yo feed him again around midnight hoping that will help him sleep to 5 to 7am but he still wakes every 2 hours. Any suggestions?

Re: how to adjust sleep schedule

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sorry, you can't. He's 3 months old. His brain does not have the capacity for any sort of sleep training etc. this is what you signed up for when you had a baby. The good news is, is that one day you'll get a solid nights sleep again

Like what PP said, their stomachs ate small and it takes 2 hrs to digest breastmilk. Babies waking up is part of their survival.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Not really anything you can do. Go to bed when baby does to get yourself a longer stretch? My LO only gives us 2hr stretches all night long so consider yourself lucky ;

• keadokeado member
    Since he's a good sleeper he will likely elongate that first stretch on his own. Give it some time - sounds like he's got a good sleep foundation which is awesome!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I literally just posted about this two threads down before reading yours so I will just copy+paste :)

Try keeping the lights off during MOTN feedings. Don't make eye contact, don't speak, and try not to make noise. This will let him know that it is still time for sleep and he shouldn't wake for the day at 5am.

I do this with my baby. She sleeps from ~7pm 'til ~5am consistently before she wakes for her one MOTN feeding. I unswaddle her, change her diaper, feed her, re-swaddle, and back to the crib all in the dark and silence. She goes instantly back to sleep and wakes for the day at ~9am. It is awesome to get this much sleep!

Also, she used to wake 3-4 times for MOTN feedings, but within 2 weeks of doing this, she weaned herself down to the one at 5am. I wasn't expecting her to do this, but it certainly was a welcomed surprise!
    I guess being awake with no lights on is just too boring :P
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"