May 2013 Moms

Hands in mouth

My 12 week old is obsessed with sucking his hands. Is this normal, developmental? Or a sign that he is hungry? I notice he does it in the swing or on his mat.

Re: Hands in mouth

• Mine has started doing this all the time too! I'm pretty sure it's a soothing technique he's taght himself because he tends to do it when he's tired, even right after he's eaten.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• RoxZ32RoxZ32 member
    imagehelenkayj:
    Mine has started doing this all the time too! I'm pretty sure it's a soothing technique he's taght himself because he tends to do it when he's tired, even right after he's eaten.

Same thing for my baby girl.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a development milestone for self soothing. It was on my 2 month pediatric visit milestone questionnaire today. LO started doing this recently too, I was glad to see it means she's on track with self soothing.

• Abbie does it too. Soothing for sure. Makes for lots of drooly outfits!
  • HZ2012HZ2012 member
    I've thought hunger a bunch of times because of this but it's not hunger. He just likes to suck on his fists!
  • pnutgpnutg member
    My son just started doing this recently. His hands are always balled up into fists. I have to basically pry them open to wash them. Anyone else?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagepnutg:
    My son just started doing this recently. His hands are always balled up into fists. I have to basically pry them open to wash them. Anyone else?

Mine too! Tight little fists. I'm looking forward to the open hands that are supposed to start soon.
  • Yep, Rachel does it too.  It's very confusing.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

• Same here!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHZ2012:
    I've thought hunger a bunch of times because of this but it's not hunger. He just likes to suck on his fists!

Yes! I'm amazed at how determined he is in trying to get that jumbo fist into his tiny mouth.
  • be888be888 member
    My son has been doing this since about 8 weeks. When he's still hungry it only soothes him for a while.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• My little one does this and I think it's teething related in our case because she has frothy saliva and now we can see a tooth coming through.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's actually a 2 month milestone for self soothing. It was one of the questions on my last pediatric visit milestone questionnaire.
    Well I should clarify, when they do it in a relaxing way when on the swing etc. Otherwise it most likely means they're hungry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"