Cloth Diapering

Have you taken CDs on vacation?

DH and I are planning a vacation this fall and I want to take my CDs along.  It is about a 4 hour drive from home and we'll be gone Monday am-Saturday pm.  We're going to visit two different places and the first hotel we're staying at has a washer/dryer.  I'm planning to wash diapers Wed evening at the hotel.  DH is acting like its going to be SO MUCH trouble.  He said he's not doing laundry during his vacation and doesn't want to carry around a bunch of stinky diapers.  I told him that I'll be the one washing them and we have wetbags so it will be fine.

I was planning on taking BG 4.0 but I also have prefolds and a few fitteds.  BG 4.0 is the easiest choice right?  I was thinking that if I take prefolds I could rinse them in the toilet every night and hang them up to dry.   

Have you ever taken your CDs on vacation?  Any tips or suggestions?  LO will be 11 months.   

BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                             BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                             BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                   BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      

Re: Have you taken CDs on vacation?

• Two cents... I'm new to CD and I've never vacayed whilst. I would definitely struggle with the decision. But ultimately, I would decide against it during the time. I think my biggest reason is that it takes the spontaneity out of the whole experience. And what happens if time doesn't allow for plans to happen as they should? Maybe try a hybrid approach or take both and be flexible? Alternatively, if your vacay is a planned thing and you don't plan on deviating from a schedule, go for it. Maybe solution is a plan A and plan B.
  • I have, we took them to Lake Tahoe last summer because we were in a condo that had a washer/dryer. We're not bringing them on this summer vacation, but only because I don't want them to take up space in our luggage (no free checked baggage, boo!) I'd never do it if I had to go to a laundromat, but hotel laundry seems okay. If you're like us, you're home fairly early to put LO to bed, so you've got that time in the evening anyway. We have an XL hanging wetbag, and when it's zipped, we never have a problem with smells. 

Remember to bring detergent! I somehow forgot that last time we took them to the ILs'.  

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup I take them on every vacation!  If you have access to a washer I would take whatever ones you want.  If you don't have access to a washer I would looking into taking hybrids, I love the GroVia system, or use flats w/ covers which can be hand washed and dry quickly just hang drying. 

I used disposables 1 time when DS got thrush at 3 months old and vowed NEVER to use them again.  I ended up with blow outs every single time he pooped. I would rather hand wash flats than deal with that again lol

• I took DD to AZ in May and camping a week and a half ago, used cloth both times.  I was able to wash at my grandma's house (after I figured out her weird washer.  For camping I had decided to try the flip disposable inserts but they just didn't work well for us and I think would have given DD a rash if we'd used them any longer.  We were gone 3 nights and by the first night she was back in cloth.  It was less than 72 hours, so I didn't have to rinse/handwash anything while camping.  I took a few fitteds each time, but mostly stuck with our prefolds.  They can take the most abuse. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageaanascimento:
    I think my biggest reason is that it takes the spontaneity out of the whole experience. And what happens if time doesn't allow for plans to happen as they should?  

I'll probably take disposables, just in case.  But I HATE disposables.  And I feel like taking disposables would actually be more of a hassle because you either have to find a trash can or carry around a dirty disposable (dirty cloth > dirty disposable).  By taking away spontaneity, do you mean having to find time to do a load of laundry?  LO's bedtime is usually 7-8pm, so we will definitely be in for the night early enough for me to do a load of laundry. 

BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • imageGismo123:

Yup I take them on every vacation!  If you have access to a washer I would take whatever ones you want.  If you don't have access to a washer I would looking into taking hybrids, I love the GroVia system, or use flats w/ covers which can be hand washed and dry quickly just hang drying. 

I used disposables 1 time when DS got thrush at 3 months old and vowed NEVER to use them again.  I ended up with blow outs every single time he pooped. I would rather hand wash flats than deal with that again lol

Hmm, it will be a tough choice.  Pockets are my favorite but prefolds would be easy to just rinse out in the evening and let hang dry. 

image  image                                                                      
  • We used Flips with the disposable inserts with success on a recent vacation.

You could use some sort of disposable or disposable insert Monday-Wednesday, start using your regular cloth Thursday and wash when you get home Saturday. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagesecondaryPULSE:
    I take our CD's with us on camping trips/vacations/trips when it won't be too much of a hassle. For example, if we're staying with friends/family with a washer/dryer, we bring them. If we'll be somewhere without laundry facilities and we would need to seek them out and spend time washing/drying out of our vacation time, we skip them and do disposables.

This for us, too.

Last weekend we went camping in a pit-toilet only campground...disposables all the way. When I visit my parents I'll be bringing cloth.

• I would also recommend that you bring more diapers than you plan to need, just in case both my boys got diarrhea last trip...fun! And what I actually did on that trip was rent a cd service for a week. We stayed in two places but flew in/out of the same airport so found one that we could drop off again at the end, and they gave us enough for 9 days. Well, I literally used the last one on the drive to the. as mentioned because of the stomach issue, but still. I brought enough prefolds for the trip there, and gave them to them when they dropped off the diapers, and they gave us the same amount back to go home with. They weren't able to return the exact same diapers so I wouldn't bring ones you cared a ton about! And I just washed covers in the sink with BG detergent samples. It worked, was more work in the long run but kind of neat we made it work out. Anyhow, it is totally doable is my point! : Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly if its longer than 3 days we usually use disposables with a cover for the first half and use CDs for the last couple days. I'm always worried about buildup in unfamiliar machines, DD has sensitive skin, and I'm protective of my fitteds. Plus for me vacations include no laundry
    image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image"">

imageimage
  • We have used cloth exclusively since DD was a week old - so that means all vacations, weekends away etc. We have not been to a hotel where we had to wash CDs, the only time we've had to wash CDs was over Christmas holidays at my parents house and it was no big deal. We usually take prefolds and covers or AI2 systems as they take up the least space, both in your luggage and in the wetbag. We just take the pail liner along and put the dirty diapers in there and have never had an issue with smells, even when away for four days once (where we only washed when we got back home). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't used disposables since DD was 2 days old. We've vacationed a lot in that time too. Hotels, roadtrips, camping, staying with family, we've done it all. I've never had a hard time making it work. I've always managed to find a place to wash and dry them. The only place I ever had "issues" was one cottage we stayed at had water that smelled strongly of sulfur. The diapers got clean, but smelled like sulfur so I just stripped them when we got home. It didn't effect their use long or short term.

We've also road tripped with a wet bag of dirty dipes in the car and didn't notice any smell. Maybe I jjust found it easy because DH was supportive of the choice. You can buy disposables at any corner store, I just don't get what your DH is so afraid of.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    edited July 2013
    bring disposable liners so that you can throw the poop in the toilet and flush. Flats and prefolds can be washed easier (by hand quickly if you need to), take up less room and then you only need a handful of covers which take up less room.

• I brought a dozen flats when we went camping a few weeks ago. My plan was to use flats during the day and disposables at night. The campground had laundry, and it turned out that I didn't have enough to keep the Speed Queens from getting unbalanced. So I had to keep adding towels to my loads. If anything I would have brought more diapers.
  • Just got home from a week's vacation in St. Lucia.  It was awesome!  DH and I called ahead to find out there were no laundry facilities at the resort where we were staying.  We bought a "mobile washer" from Amazon.com, and lots of flats.  We line dry everything even when we're at home, so the drying part wasn't too bad.  We chose flats because they're easier to hand wash and they dry faster.  We left the house on Friday evening and arrived at the resort on Sunday evening, so I had been hauling around dirty diapers for 2 days...including on the plane and through security.  We filled up the bathtub in our room and started washing them.  The washer worked surprisingly well!  During this time, the other people in our group got to their condos and one of theirs had a washer/dryer!  They tried calling us, but our phone wasn't working.  We finally got a hold of each other and found out about their washing machine!  It was great.  We didn't have any trouble and it was nice to know we could hand wash them if necessary.  Just plan on bringing some dirty clothes to "clean" the soap residue out of the washing machine at the hotel and you should be fine.   GL!
  • I do when I have access to a washer/dryer. Or if its a short vacay then I just put them in the wetbag and wash when I get home. If its a longer vacay, no washer/dryer or in an unfamiliar place I just bring disposables.
    A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"