Baby Names

Prince Oliver

I was listening to the BBC this morning and of course they were talking baby names: George, Arthur, Alexander, etc.

Then someone brought up Oliver. There was a tiny awkward pause before some declared that would be a very bold choice indeed.

Unfortunately, I don't think William and Kate have the guts. But that would be awesome.

Re: Prince Oliver

• I don't really find Oliver to be a bold choice, but maybe that is just in regards to the history of royal names they meant that.  I feel like there are a lot more babies named Oliver than George or Arthur.
  • Oliver is my nephew's name and he's such a little ragamuffin kid, I just couldn't picture him and the future King of England sharing a name.  Oddly, I have another nephew named George and I'm not really loving that one either.

Now Arthur I can get behind.   

• Loading the player...
  • It's unlikely but stranger things have happened, I really hope they don't get gutsy and use it. Oliver has gotten so popular over the last couple years, I'd hate to see it skyrocket even more.
    imageimage
  • That would be awesome!  I would love to see them shake things up a bitBig Smile

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I like Oliver, my guess is Thomas.  My DH is guessing John or James which I could definitely see.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• The last time an Oliver was in charge in England, Royals were losing their heads. Maybe Kate is a stealth Republican, but I doubt it. It would be fun to see the Queen's head explode, but only metaphorically, of course.
  • Oliver is nice but I bet they go with James. 

DS #1 born 12.3.13
    BFP #2 09.21.14 EDD: 06.06.15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJoy2611:

imageBethPSU:
    I don't really find Oliver to be a bold choice, but maybe that is just in regards to the history of royal names they meant that.  I feel like there are a lot more babies named Oliver than George or Arthur.

They mean it in regards to it not being a traditional royal name, not the name itself.

EDIT: And yes - Oliver Cromwell was the first person I thought of and was like "Oh, hell no would that happen."

Yeah, it was a pretty funny segment. Someone brought it up as a possibility and I could practically hear the host thinking, "Are you drunk?" during the awkward pause.

• Yeah I'm guessing James William or something.

I know I'm in the minority around here, but I just don't like Oliver. Cute on a boy, goofy on a man to me.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageplunderb:
    The last time an Oliver was in charge in England, Royals were losing their heads. Maybe Kate is a stealth Republican, but I doubt it. It would be fun to see the Queen's head explode, but only metaphorically, of course.

I was thinking this last night too about possible baby names.  I do think of Oliver as a quintessential "British sounding" name, but the obvious Cromwell association would take it off the table.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like Oliver. I think it is a nice English name. But it is not a royal name. Agree that it would be a bold choice. Don't think Spencer is likely either. For one of the middle names (because I can so see this baby having like 3-4 names) perhaps. But no way for a first name. My guess is either Philip or George.
  • Supposedly Diana loved the name Oliver, but it's not a name the monarchy would use! My husband is an Oliver and he jokes about it being the one name that a king would never be called. Also the joke about the one thing the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh can agree on - they all hate Oliver Cromwell. 

John is also a bad luck name for the Royal family.  

They wouldn't use Spencer. It's a last name, it's too modern, it's not royal enough.

If they want to use a name that has been previously used by a king since the Norman Invasion, the only names that currently are NOT being used by descendants of the Queen are George, Stephen and Richard. I think that's why George is such a popular choice. And it's been used by a king the most recently (and Charles has said he might take the regnal name George VII - George is one of his middle names).

Of course, they could choose something completely different and give him one (or two or three) middle names used by past kings and then the baby could choose to be his first name or take a regnal name that's one of his middle names, or something else entirely.

And the Queen doesn't have to approve, but out of courtesy they will probably tell her first (or at the very least before it's announced). They'll choose something classic, anyway, so it's not as though the Queen would not approve.  

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Yeah I'm guessing James William or something.

I know I'm in the minority around here, but I just don't like Oliver. Cute on a boy, goofy on a man to me.

This is kinda me, too.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"