April 2013 Moms

How much milk?

Mobile bumpers: how much milk?

We are EBF and LO is 3 months. Whenever I pump she usually only takes 3, maybe 4 oz. When we went to the doctor last week for a cold, she only weighed 11 lbs. How much are your LOs drinking? I'm just wondering if maybe she's not getting enough. Thanks!

Re: How much milk?

• A BF baby should average about 25oz a day, give or take an oz or two. So take the number of times she eats in a day and divide 25 by that to get an of how much per feeding she might want.

fwiw, my 13w old drink about 3oz per feed.

• imageMommy2BEL:
    our LO is 3 months old and is a monster eater.  I was concerned she was eating too much.  At our pedi appt last week for 3 mo shots she weighed 12 pounds 10 oz.  While I am at work she was eating 4 4oz bottles but still acted hungry.  The pedi said to try 3 5 oz and see if spacing them out differently satisfied her.  I am worried she is eating too much.  I was EBF but now pump for bottles while I am at work.  

We're twinsies, this is my same exact situation.  Lo was 12lbs, 6ounces at his 3 month appointment and I was leaving 4 4ounce bottles for MH for 8 hours in addition to nursing him before I left.  Last week he was acting like he wanted more so I left another 4 ounces.  He ate about 2 ounces of that last bottle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Now I'm worried my monster baby eats too much :/

I took him to the ped at 11wks5days and he was 15.3 lbs. He's eating 5-6 ozs every 3 hrs (a totall of 6 bottles a day and one nursing session). He's 13 wks today, I wonder how much he weighs now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO will be 3 months on thursday and was 14.2 lbs at his appointment last Monday which is 2 oz shy of doubling his birthweight of 7.2.  He is EFF and eats 5x/day, 6oz a day with a 2 oz bottle right before for a total of 32 oz.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • leasajleasaj member
    My LO is 14 wks today and is a snacker. She eats 2 to 3 ounces at a time but that sometimes takes 30 min to an hour. She BF the same way. Not sure how to get her to eat more at one time....maybe when she starts going to babysitter. She weighs right around 12 lbs.
  • LO takes around 3 to 4oz when she has a bottle. She nurses all.the.time.

At 3 months she was 11 lbs 0.5 oz and approx 25". She's just long and thin and perfectly healthy.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I nurse DD in the morning, send 12oz to daycare (9:30, 12:30 and 4pm), nurse her then around 6pm, 7:30 and 9 before bed.

She STTN and weighs about 14lbs, 12 weeks old.

I'm thinking we probably need to increase the amount we're sending by an oz or two though. 

• sms04jsms04j member
    My 3 month old eats 4 oz per bottle of BM. He will eat a little more before going to bed or cluster feeds before bed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The total daily intake and you baby's growth curve is more important. We EBF but Warner gets bottles of BM when I'm at work. He never takes more than 4 ounces in one feeding. Sometimes he protests and takes only 2 bottles the whole day when I'm gone but then makes up for it by cluster feeding. At 4 months he is almost 17 pounds, but more importantly he is following his growth curve for the 76th percentile
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Mine will be 3 months tomorrow and is around 12lbs. She takes about 12oz at daycare. One day she took closer to 20oz because she was there longer. Luckily i have a few frozen bags of milk that i leave at daycare for emergencies like that. Most bottles seem took be 4oz.
  • imagevaness1229:
    Now I'm worried my monster baby eats too much :/
    I took him to the ped at 11wks5days and he was 15.3 lbs. He's eating 56 ozs every 3 hrs a totall of 6 bottles a day and one nursing session. He's 13 wks today, I wonder how much he weighs now.

Sort of the same LO is 15 weeks today, eats every 3 hours and takes 56 oz at each feeding, making it 6 bottles a day and is EFF. He was a very small baby starting out at 4 lbs 13 oz, and at his last appt weighed 13.3 lbs! He's catching up beautifully according to our pedi and is finally on the charts and higher percentiles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"