August 2013 Moms

Swollen feet remedies

My feet are starting to balloon during the day.  Working at a desk means keeping them elevated isn't really an option.  Someone mentioned soaking them in epsom salt.  Has anyone tried that?  Does it work and is it safe?  I will try anything.  My shoe selection is getting very limited!

Re: Swollen feet remedies

• Rest, ice, compression and elevation are the best things for swelling. Do any or all of those when it is possible. If you can't elevate your feet at work, try compression socks. Soaking your feet in warm water will make them feel good but in the long run it can increase swelling. Foot rubs will also help to keep the fluids moving so they don't just settle and pull in your feet.
  • LEMSALEMSA member
    I wear compression hose. Available at medical supply stores. That's the only way I can make it through the day
  • Loading the player...
  • When I work at my desk, i flip my trashcan upside down and put my feet up under my desk.  No on has ever said anything to me about it being an issue.  I also put ice on my feet/ankles at night.  Maybe you could even put some on your feet at work as well, depending how hidden your feet/legs are. They say sleeping on your side helps as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLEMSA:
    I wear compression hose. Available at medical supply stores. That's the only way I can make it through the day

This. Not sexy, but it works.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• one more thing, my doctor said elevation is great, but the higher above your heart, the better.  So when I get home, I lie on the couch and draped my legs up on the back on the couch.  i also try to get on the floor to play with my dog sometimes, so when i do, i prop my feet up high on the wall (laying on the floor, creating a L with my legs up on the wall).

She also recommended compression socks, but said to get the kind that go up above your belly.  The issue is your belly and hip area, so if you have your compression socks below that, it's not going to help much...You have to compress the area that's causing the area. Sounds like wearing tights in summer...does not sound comfortable at all.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I soak in Epsom salt every few days. Yes it's safe.

Certain restricting shoes make it worse.

Cranking down the ac.

Foot stool at work.

And limiting certain activities if its hot.

And drink a crazy amount of water

• KMck27KMck27 member

imagelialakacz:
    When I work at my desk, i flip my trashcan upside down and put my feet up under my desk.  No on has ever said anything to me about it being an issue.  I also put ice on my feet/ankles at night.  Maybe you could even put some on your feet at work as well, depending how hidden your feet/legs are. They say sleeping on your side helps as well.

I flipped a trashcan over also and no one has said a word.  Remember to lay off the sodium...snacking on junk is my big downfall at work which will cause me to swell even more depending on what I am munching on. Good luck!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I have a paper box that I put on its side and then brought an extra pillow from home and use that under my desk. I also have a pillow for my back on my chair. No one has questioned anything at work. The higher you can get your feet the better so and night I do try to elevate them. Keeping them just a little elevated at work helps to keep them from getting worse. My boss also lets me wear flip flops now because my feet don't fit into anything else anymore.
    | My Blog l image
  • I'm soaking my feet in epsom salt right now. I will let you know how it goes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"