July 2013 Moms

Bad Boob Behavior

Does anyone else have a LO who misbehaves on the boob?  Ema seems to like to give mine a good shake on occasion. And when she's fighting a bowel movement (she's definitely not constipated), she uses nursing as a way to relax, which usually means she clamps down when she grunts. When she does that, I try to break her hold and reattach her, which really pisses her off. 

Re: Bad Boob Behavior

• Totally. I try to remind myself that he can't develop habits right now. He loves throwing his head back and coming off the boob, creating a large suction noise. It hurts!

Sometimes I put him down and pick him up and reposition so many times that I think I'm just destined to be terrible at this. He's definitely pooping, peeing, and gaining so I must be doing something right...
  • Mine started doing this yesterday! She pulls to the tip, clamps down, and shakes her head. I'm already dealing with insane nipple soreness, so I'm always racing to break her latch when this happens.
  • Loading the player...
  • flkongflkong member
    My LO was clamping down, arching her back and turning her head. She only did this when she nursed on the left side. My girlfriend is an awesome lactation consultant and told me LO does this to control the milk flow. Clamping down, back arching, pulling off and turning the head are signs that LO is trying to control the flow likely because it's too fast but maybe because the flow is too slow. Or, they aren't able to coordinate breathing, sucking and swallowing with the milk flow. Google clamping down and everything else the baby is doing. There are ways to help. First, my gf said not to let my breast fill too much or pump if it's full so that the milk doesn't flow too fast. Also, try changing positions. I notice my baby doesn't clamp when we use the football or side lying holds. Last, if baby turns away or arches, allow it. The baby must have a flow they can handle when they do those "bad boob behaviors". 

• flkongflkong member

imagedeejohn2012:
    Mine started doing this yesterday! She pulls to the tip, clamps down, and shakes her head. I'm already dealing with insane nipple soreness, so I'm always racing to break her latch when this happens.

I had soreness and my lo was doing this too. The flow was too fast for her....we did some corrective things and she doesn't clamp as much and my soreness is better. 

• imagefklang:

imagedeejohn2012:
    Mine started doing this yesterday! She pulls to the tip, clamps down, and shakes her head. I'm already dealing with insane nipple soreness, so I'm always racing to break her latch when this happens.

I had soreness and my lo was doing this too. The flow was too fast for her....we did some corrective things and she doesn't clamp as much and my soreness is better. 

What did you do to correct it? She latches great, but she usually coughs and pulls off in the first minute or so. I'm thinking my flow is too fast for her. It is even worse in the football hold that the lactation consultant keeps insisting I use. I know my flow is fast because when she cries, I can sometimes trap a pool of milk in the palm if my hand before I even get her latched.
  • I'll have to look into this. I've been told by hospital and two LC's he has a great latch, but he uses his gums instead of his tongue while he nurses. My nipples look super bad and now I've got a huge, sore lump on my left breast. I don't need a blocked duct on top of everything else. :
  • flkongflkong member
    imagedeejohn2012:
    imagefklang:

imagedeejohn2012:

p>

What did you do to correct it? She latches great, but she usually coughs and pulls off in the first minute or so. I'm thinking my flow is too fast for her. It is even worse in the football hold that the lactation consultant keeps insisting I use. I know my flow is fast because when she cries, I can sometimes trap a pool of milk in the palm if my hand before I even get her latched.

That definitely sounds like a flow issue.Your letdown probably happens in that 1st minute when she does that. Football hold works better for me than cradle but side lying works good too. You can also let your letdown go into a towel our something and put baby back on after the letdown is done. Check kellymom, there are a list of positions that work for controlling forceful letdowns or milk flow.

• flkongflkong member

imagearlingirl:
    I'll have to look into this. I've been told by hospital and two LC's he has a great latch, but he uses his gums instead of his tongue while he nurses. My nipples look super bad and now I've got a huge, sore lump on my left breast. I don't need a blocked duct on top of everything else. :

The lc in the hospital told me latch and hold was great too. But remember that our milk doesn't usually come in until we're discharged from the hospital. So they aren't assessing the latch when you have milk and full breasts.  If you have a sore, there's definitely a latch issue. 

• imagefklang:

imagearlingirl:
    I'll have to look into this. I've been told by hospital and two LC's he has a great latch, but he uses his gums instead of his tongue while he nurses. My nipples look super bad and now I've got a huge, sore lump on my left breast. I don't need a blocked duct on top of everything else. :

The lc in the hospital told me latch and hold was great too. But remember that our milk doesn't usually come in until we're discharged from the hospital. So they aren't assessing the latch when you have milk and full breasts.  If you have a sore, there's definitely a latch issue. 

Yeah and it's frustrating when you're not sure what you're doing wrong. My nipples are each one, big, giant sore. :/
  • flkongflkong member
    imagearlingirl:
    imagefklang:

imagearlingirl:

Yeah and it's frustrating when you're not sure what you're doing wrong. My nipples are each one, big, giant sore. :/

Ouch, my soreness went away about 1 week ago. My friend(the LC) came over to visit and stayed all day. While she was here, she had me try different holds. She also checked my nipples to see if they had a "lipstick shape". It's when the nipple is flat on one side after baby comes off. That indicates an incorrect latch. I had a little "lipstick" going on. You should probably get a lc. I hope it gets better for you. Also, soreness in the 1st week or 2 is normal because your breast are adjusting to being stretched. But it should go away. 

• imagefklang:
    My LO was clamping down, arching her back and turning her head. She only did this when she nursed on the left side. My girlfriend is an awesome lactation consultant and told me LO does this to control the milk flow. Clamping down, back arching, pulling off and turning the head are signs that LO is trying to control the flow likely because it's too fast but maybe because the flow is too slow. Or, they aren't able to coordinate breathing, sucking and swallowing with the milk flow. Google clamping down and everything else the baby is doing. There are ways to help. First, my gf said not to let my breast fill too much or pump if it's full so that the milk doesn't flow too fast. Also, try changing positions. I notice my baby doesn't clamp when we use the football or side lying holds. Last, if baby turns away or arches, allow it. The baby must have a flow they can handle when they do those "bad boob behaviors".nbsp;

Thanks for the advice! I stopped using the football hold bc of flow issues. It was too fast for LO. I know thst I need to find a LC in my area. Who'd have thought that BF was so difficult.
  • flkongflkong member

imagerondokye:
    imagefklang:
    My LO was clamping down, arching her back and turning her head. She only did this when she nursed on the left side. My girlfriend is an awesome lactation consultant and told me LO does this to control the milk flow. Clamping down, back arching, pulling off and turning the head are signs that LO is trying to control the flow likely because it's too fast but maybe because the flow is too slow. Or, they aren't able to coordinate breathing, sucking and swallowing with the milk flow. Google clamping down and everything else the baby is doing. There are ways to help. First, my gf said not to let my breast fill too much or pump if it's full so that the milk doesn't flow too fast. Also, try changing positions. I notice my baby doesn't clamp when we use the football or side lying holds. Last, if baby turns away or arches, allow it. The baby must have a flow they can handle when they do those "bad boob behaviors".nbsp;
    Thanks for the advice! I stopped using the football hold bc of flow issues. It was too fast for LO. I know thst I need to find a LC in my area. Who'd have thought that BF was so difficult.

No prob and I hope it gets better. I'm just realizing that football probably only works for us because LO turns her head to the side during the entire feeding. I guess she's controlling the flow. My nips are so stretched now that it doesn't even hurt anymore... lol. GL!

• I'm dying here with pain from all this. My nips look mangled and I want to give up... Her latch is better but I'm still in pain the whole time and I'm exhausted. Not sure how much longer I can do this.
    Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageDccornel:

imagepgermain11:
    I'm dying here with pain from all this. My nips look mangled and I want to give up... Her latch is better but I'm still in pain the whole time and I'm exhausted. Not sure how much longer I can do this.

Are you using nipple cream or butter? That has been a life saver for me. 

I express milk and use nipple cream. They're healing I think but I'm just over this pain of feeding. I'm thinking if supplementing some feelings to give myself a break.
    Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"