September 2012 Moms

Is anyone still perhaps unnaturally afraid of SIDS at this age?

I am terrified of SIDS and I feel like I was even before having kids of my own. We used the Angelcare monitor for my DD and I was able to get away with using it until she was 14 months (DH got annoyed many times with the false alarms that started closer to 12 mos). I planned to use it up to 12 months with DS, too, but he moves WAY more than DD did and we get false alarms at least 1-2 times a night now. My DH wants me to turn it off ASAP, but I just cannot bring myself to.

He's supporting whatever decision I make, but he's so irritated. Ha ha, nice support eh!?

Am I totally crazy?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Is anyone still perhaps unnaturally afraid of SIDS at this age?

• For me it goes in spurts, there are weeks where I will wake 6+ times a night and need to check on DD for one reason or another. There are also weeks where I don't check on her at all. I think it is normal to be anxious at times, I have no advice but your not alone
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am paranoid about it too, but we use a video monitor and it helps to keep me sane during the night. I do wake up often and stare at it for ~10 minutes to make sure he is still breathing. I know the statistics are very low at this age, but I am still on edge!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • KTC926KTC926 member

imagekdsmith43:
    I am paranoid about it too, but we use a video monitor and it helps to keep me sane during the night. I do wake up often and stare at it for ~10 minutes to make sure he is still breathing. I know the statistics are very low at this age, but I am still on edge!

This is me. I feel like the thought is always in the back of my head.

• It's crazy. Thanks Kemare for the link. I do follow all healthy sleep practices to the T, but I can't shake my anxiety.

My DH even pointed out that the breathing monitor isn't doing me any favors because it's causing so much unnecessary stress.  I keep telling him it's better than the alternative (death). Crazy, right?

I know better, too. UGH! 

• I am. My LO wakes between 1-2 times a night, and if she goes a long stretch I become irrationally paranoid something is wrong. I hope I can shake this fear soon! 

2.0 is on the way! EDD: 2/24/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSunnyDays26:
    I just turned the monitor off with my DS and he is 10 months old. I was really afraid of SIDS too and couldn't bring myself to get rid of the breathing monitor until one night it went off 5 times. DS is quite the mover. Normally it would go off at least once a night. Once I actually got up the nerve to get rid of the monitor I've been fine. I actually sleep better because the alarm isn't going off and it's not as scary as I thought it would be. ETA I finally realized the monitor was causing more stress with the false alarms than stress from actually worrying about SIDS. Especially since DS is 10 months old.

This is me too! I had to turn off the sensor part when it started waking dd at night.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm irrationally worried. I still check my 4 and 6 year olds every night to make sure they are breathing. I had to give up the angel care monitor at 10 months because she's all over the place. I check multiple times a night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • klgrh6klgrh6 member
    We still use the angelcare system. DD moves around a bit in her sleep but most of the time she sames within reach of the sensor and it still picks up her breathing. We have a false alarm probably once or two a week because she will roll against the side, we just go in and move her back into the middle. Most the time she doesn't even notice and the alarm doesn't wake her up yet. We will probably keep using it as long as we can just for peace of mind. DD's bedroom is right next to ours and sometimes she wakes up to fuss, play, talk, etc so we've started to turn off the hand set in our room. I figure once she starts moving more, we will just turn off the sensor part of the system.

• Y'all make me feel "normal" if there is such a thing. Usually (always) when there is a false alarm I know it's because he's not in his place, too. I also get annoyed. Lol. Yet I still go in and re-position him and keep it on. If I know I'll be awake for a couple more hours I'll turn the motion sensor off and just watch him through video but when I go to bed I'll go move him back into place.

DH made me laugh a couple nights ago. He's always giving me crap so when I went to a concert I knew I'd be gone into the night so I turned the motion part off so he didn't have to deal with any false alarms. When I got home I noticed he had turned it back on. Aw, cute little, worried father! ha!

Edt: Wait, why does he get to give me shiit? LOL. 

• I still worry about it from time to time. Sometimes I feel like I'll never be completely comfortable with her sleeping with blankets and a pillow. Even when she's 5. I'm sure I'll be way over it by then, though!

Anniversary

• imageMrsKipper:
    I still worry about it from time to time. Sometimes I feel like I'll never be completely comfortable with her sleeping with blankets and a pillow. Even when she's 5. I'm sure I'll be way over it by then, though!

I don't know that the comfort level ever gets completely ok. Like others have stated, my DD is about to turn 4 and I check on her every single night in the middle of the night.... It's insane. 

• I know a girl that lost her son to SIDS this week.  He was less than 6 months old, I believe.  Either way, I'm SUPER paranoid now.  Even moreso than before.  I have the angelcare AND a video monitor and both have to be on for me to sleep at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We still use the Snuza and I plan on using it until a year.  Ours broke and there was a week that I did not have one to use it while I waited for the replacement.  I thought I would be more freaked out, but it was actually fine, after the first few nights I got used to it.  I almost didn't start using it again when we got the replacement, but I thought why not?  When she did not have it on I did often stare at the video monitor until she moved a bit though :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsAB1316:
    I know a girl that lost her son to SIDS this week.nbsp; He was less than 6 months old, I believe.nbsp; Either way, I'm SUPER paranoid now.nbsp; Even moreso than before.nbsp; I have the angelcare AND a video monitor and both have to be on for me to sleep at all.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear. My condolences for sure. I just could not imagine!

• imageLyndseylovesHugh:
    We still use the Snuza and I plan on using it until a year.nbsp; Ours broke and there was a week that I did not have one to use it while I waited for the replacement.nbsp; I thought I would be more freaked out, but it was actually fine, after the first few nights I got used to it.nbsp; I almost didn't start using it again when we got the replacement, but I thought why not?nbsp; When she did not have it on I did often stare at the video monitor until she moved a bit though :

We bought the Snuza for daycare. It's an absolute life safer for traveling, too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"