Stay at Home Moms

SO dinnerware... What about cookware?

I  am in the market for some new pots and pans. Currently I have the cooks stainless steel set from JCpenny. They were my first real set and have been awesome. There is nothing wrong with them really other than because they are stainless steel everything sticks to them. 

They were fine when I onky cooked for two And worked full time. Now that I'm a SAHM and cooking more frequently I find myself tired of soaking and scrubbing. I sort of want something nonstick but I've always avoided nonstick cooking equipment because I heard the chemicals in them could be bad for you.

I do have one cast iron skillet that is seasoned so it's my go to for quick things.

So, tell me about your cookware 

Re: SO dinnerware... What about cookware?

• Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Mine do not match. I have pieces from everything.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have a set of Revere stainless, set of Calphalon nonstick and a cast iron dutch oven.  I use them all for different things
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imageLalaMama81:
    Calphalon stainless. One enamelware pan, would like more.

do you have issues with sticking or needing to soak yours often ? 

I should also add that I cook with a gas range that gets  hotter than other stovetops I've had. The power burner is awesome for boiling but I find that I can easily burn things with the ones I have. I think it is due to the thickness, as mine are not very thick. They have a copper bottom but it is already starting to wear down.  

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageBebeMakesThree:

imageLalaMama81:

I should also add that I cook with a gas range that gets  hotter than other stovetops I've had. The power burner is awesome for boiling but I find that I can easily burn things with the ones I have. I think it is due to the thickness, as mine are not very thick. They have a copper bottom but it is already starting to wear down.  

We have gas, too. Sure, stuff sticks sometimes and they are occasionally soaked over night. I try to get them into the sink as soon as possible to rinse and soak before they get washed. I think that's just part of not using non stick cookware.
    yeah that's pretty much our situation too. It gets old when I cook three times a day with only 6 pots or pans to choose from. Seems like there is always something soaking in the sink lol! 
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imageBebeMakesThree:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageBebeMakesThree:

imageLalaMama81:

We have gas, too. Sure, stuff sticks sometimes and they are occasionally soaked over night. I try to get them into the sink as soon as possible to rinse and soak before they get washed. I think that's just part of not using non stick cookware.
    yeah that's pretty much our situation too. It gets old when I cook three times a day with only 6 pots or pans to choose from. Seems like there is always something soaking in the sink lol! 
    Yea, I don't use the stove for every meal. Only one, maybe 2. I would fix that instead!
    haha for real ! 
  • A set of All-Glad we got when we were married, plus a couple of non-stick skillets by them as well. Plus a couple of Staub and Le Creuset pieces, iron skillets and two old Williams-Sonoma stock pots that they don't make anymore so if they ever break or something, I'll cry.
  • We have mainly stainless steel, but I have a small and larger iron skillet. They are my go to for eggs, sauteeing, frying, etc, bc not much sticks to them. We've also been using dutch ovens for years. they are really versatile for tons of things, and oven proof to boot. I don't have anything w non stick coatings, the chemicals freak me out.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• OP if you have problems w stainless steel pans getting food stuck on them, simmer half vinegar and half water in it for about 5 ish minutes, all the gunk will.come off. A lot faster than soaking overnight!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I just got into cast iron and love them!  It has taken mine a while to get to be good at non stick but now I can even do scrambled eggs and it comes right out after wiping with a paper towel generally.  They do stink in the fact you're not supposed to make acidic stuff.  I want to get an enameled caste iron for this sort of thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"