September 2012 Moms

Canker Sores

Does anybody get canker sores? What makes them appear? I've never had them in my entire life, but I got 2 on my lower gums and about 10-15 on the roof of my mouth and in my throat last month, making it impossible to eat almost anything for almost 2 weeks. Went to the doctor twice and they said they were canker sores and would resolve themselves. Almost exactly a month later, they are starting to come back. I just started my cycle again last month and read that it could be hormonal. Or not hormonal. Apparently nobody knows (not even the docs), so just wondering what others have experienced. Not looking forward to the next 2 weeks if it gets as bad as last month, and definitely don't look forward to this every month.

Re: Canker Sores

• LuvSDLuvSD member
    I've never had that many at once but taking a Folic Acid supplement daily dramatically decreases how often I get them.
    imageimageimage

• I will definitely pick one up if that might help. Have you ever gotten them on the roof of your mouth or in your throat? I went to 2 different doctors because I thought it was so strange last time, but neither thought much of it.

A big one showed up on my hangy ball this morning. WTF?

• Loading the player...
  • I get them every month before my period. My doctor had never heard of it but my dentist said it's part of some women's regular cycle. I didn't have any the whole time I was pregnant and they came back right away once I started having my period again. No fun.

• I had a few when I had braces and use something called anbesol to help with the pain. It made my mouth really numb.
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    My brother used to get them all the time until he started taking Lysine. DH takes it too when he gets them. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• imagethetwinkiesVivi:
    I had a few when I had braces and use something called anbesol to help with the pain. It made my mouth really numb.

I got some numbing spray last month that I didn't end up using, but I might this month. Anything even slightly acidic or spicy burned like crazy.

We leave for Mexico in 9 days and I'll be so bummed if I have to bring oatmeal along, since that's what I ate for a week straight last month!
  • imagecheeseandrice:
    oh. hey. raises hand I have chronic canker sores. I literally can't remember the last time I didn't have one. nbsp;From all the doctors/dentists I've talked to and all the googling I've done, there aren't really any cutanddry answers. awesome, huh?But some things I've heard are pretty common causes:hormonesdairyacidic drinks/foodsstress canker sores are similar to ulcersnbsp;Things that have helped me dramatically:avoiding gluten I realized I was sensitive. If I eat too much I get a bad outbreak of canker soresbrushing my teeth more often I'm at 3 times/day or after any other big mealsI chew a lot of gum too, which seems to help or I'm crazyLLysine supplement like HMP mentionedThere used to be a canker sore sensitive toothpaste by Rembrandt but I haven't been able to find it in years. nbsp;Supposedly the sensitive one is still good.nbsp;

Lurker chiming in...
    Rembrandt gentle white, I have patients who use it : the dentist I work for also prescribes a "magic mouth rinse" for chronic canker sores
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Bentley 9.26.12
  • I get them allllll the time. Before I was pregnant there was never more than a week I would go without one. So painful too. I really don't have any tricks besides putting kanka on them. If you ever get cold sores on your lips abreava will be your best friend.
  • imagejcieply:
    I get them allllll the time. Before I was pregnant there was never more than a week I would go without one. So painful too. I really don't have any tricks besides putting kanka on them. If you ever get cold sores on your lips abreava will be your best friend.

OMG, I cannot believe that you and cheese both get them that often. I have only had them for the past 2 months and I'm going flucking insane!

• imagecheeseandrice:

oh! One of the best things I've found when I get bad ones? Vicks 44 Spray- the numbing stuff for sore throats. I just spray a little on my finger and dab it right on the canker sore.  It usually numbs it enough to let me eat at least. I've heard people using baby Orajel too.

What else? Oh. When mine get bad, I avoid ketchup and anything citric as well as chocolate and dairy; for me at least, they all seem to make them spread (and the citric just burns.)

I get them everywhere. Yes I've had them on the back of my throat, and the roof of my mouth. My gums, tongue, underneath my tongue, inside of cheeks. The worst place, I think, is the back of my gums (like where your bottom and upper gums meet the back of your cheek.) But they all suck. 

Thanks for all the tips! Do you have celiac? I read that frequent outbreaks can be a symptom of digestive complications, such as celiac and crohns disease. It does seem strange to me though that I just started getting them when my period returned and I got them the second time exactly a month later. It seems pretty linked to hormones because of that.

• I get them way less than I used to since I stopped using any toothpaste with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) in it. Most of them do. I was using Toms most of their flavors have it.

Now I use Sensodyne Pronamel, which is free of SLS, and it seems to really help. Read the label, though, as it may only be certain flavors that don't have it.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm the canker queen, get them from stress, being overtired and having irritation in the mouth area, like going to the dentist.  I never got them from hormonal changes but its very common.  Some people get them from eating acidic food and I believe that would be food allergy related.  Not sure about people who get them from gluten or Crohn's disease. I was going to recommend what I use, Canker Sores Begone Stick cause its all natural, doesn't sting and often heals my cankers overnight - but it's a soft balm stick. You wipe off some balm from the top of tube and apply to canker in the mouth.  You have so many and down your throat, which wouldn't work with this.  I'm thinking to go the lysine supplement route but rather than applying it to the site, you can address them systemically, and its a natural product. Good luck.  If the lysine works for you, I would taken them routinely every day to try to prevent them.
  • I also have chronic cancer sores, and I find it SO refreshing to hear others with chronic ones say that they don't have magic cures!! Mine have seemed to decrease since giving up diet coke, but that's all I've got.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"