January 2013 Moms

Poop with solids

I am a little concerned about DD poops.

We are fully into solids. I give her oatmeal cereal with either veggie or fruit 3xs a day along with our three EBF sessions.

But i've noticed a struggle while shes going to the bathroom lately. Her face turns red she even grunts and whines alittle.

anyone else having this issue? is there anything i can do to help her 

Re: Poop with solids

• I was having the same issue. I was told to do two things. 1. Offer water to drink T each meal. 2. Water the food down with breastmilk.

If the issue continues, cut back on the cereal. Most all cereals are iron fortified and iron usually makes your poop pretty thick/hard...I know TMI lol 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • Solids have definitely changed the poop!  We don't do a lot of cereal - I offer homemeade oatmeal a couple of times a week but tend to stick to vegetables and fruit - but we have still noticed some definite "this is hard to get out" faces.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would offer more breast milk and a little less solids this early. DD gets between 2-3 ounces of solids a day total.
  • imagethis decaf life:
    I would offer more breast milk and a little less solids this early. DD gets between 2-3 ounces of solids a day total.

This, nursing only 3 times a day doesn't sound like enough.  I would up it to at least 5 times a day.  Solid food is only supposed to compliment breast milk or formula in the first year. 

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Try cutting out one of the cereals with her meals - and just give her the veggie or fruit instead.  Prunes work great! They should get things moving soon - DD got really constipated when we initially started solids. I tried giving her prunes and she LOVES them. Offer her water and try nursing her a little bit more as well.  DD gets 3 pumped bottles of breast milk along with 2-3 meals per day. She also gets nursed first thing in the morning, right before bed and she still gets up at night so she nurses then.  So all that seems to help.

Good luck!!

• ==N====N== member
    imagelulamagoo:

imagethis decaf life:
    I would offer more breast milk and a little less solids this early. DD gets between 2-3 ounces of solids a day total.

This, nursing only 3 times a day doesn't sound like enough.  I would up it to at least 5 times a day.  Solid food is only supposed to compliment breast milk or formula in the first year. 

I agree with all this. That being said, certain foods will affect poop more than others which is one of the reasons we introduce one thing at a time, that way we know how she will handle it. So far carrots is the only thing she's had a real problem with. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • thanks for the help

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"