2nd Trimester

Did Shettles Method work for you? (Boy/Girl conception timing)

Hi all, Wondering if any of you used the Shettles Method to conceive? (where you have sex early in your ovulation cycle to have a girl and later in the cycle to have a boy).

Our first time around we did have sex more toward the end of my ovulation cycle because we wanted a boy and we got one! But that could be coincidence because the end of your cycle is simply the most effective time to have sex.

I ask because this time we want a girl, and I worry that only having sex 3-5 days before ovulation may mean no baby at all.

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
~*~
Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

Re: Did Shettles Method work for you? (Boy/Girl conception timing)

• No idea. We just did the "have sex" method for 3 years, then finally we got pregnant. we didn't care what we were having.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • I can't say.

I think your first might have been a very good coincidence. Sperm is said to carry the gene that determines sex. I don't see how that can be true, but gender is affected by the beginning/end of ovulation cycle.. But I'm no expert.

• Loading the player...
  • imageslusk13:

I can't say.

I think your first might have been a very good coincidence. Sperm is said to carry the gene that determines sex. I don't see how that can be true, but gender is affected by the beginning/end of ovulation cycle.. But I'm no expert.

The sperm decides the sex because it carries the X or the Y chromosome.  Men =XY Women=XX. 

• We weren't trying the shettles method, however, we were trying to conceive with both our girls and the first was conceived after sex 3 days before Ovulation and the second was five days before. Both girls. This baby was concieved the day of ovulation, and I dont find out the sex until the 2nd of August, but curious! I know a lot of people who have tried it and been successful. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Shettles has been disproven. There may be differences between male and female sperm but there is still roughly a 50/50 chance. This is our third pregnancy and we had sex the same days in my cycle, according to BBT and OPKs, which was every other day leading up to a positive OPK, the day before and the day of ovulation. We have a boy, girl, and twin boys on the way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It wasn't intentional, but our timing and the sex of our children falls in line up with the Shettles Method theory.
  • It's a race between X and Y sperm. I think you can ovulate early or late, do it missionary or doggie style, stand on your head or arch your back and none of it will matter. It's still a 50/50 race of sperm. IMO!
  • Had sex at the last possible second with both of mine, which should mean boy.  Both were girls.  It's a disproven theory.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had sex every day for both of my pregnancies. First one was a girl, this one is a boy. We were just trying to get pregnant, so I was not avoiding sex near ovulation.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageLoolaide:
    imageslusk13:

I can't say.

OK, why answer then?  Shettles is the theory that xy sperm are faster and weaker, so you want to have sex as close to ovulation as possible (the woman should also orgasm after the man, and I hear there are diet factors involved).  Xx sperm are supposedly slower and hardier, so you should have sex before ovulation so the xy sperm die off without making it to the egg (the woman should orgasm before the man or not at all, plus whatever diet factors).

We did not follow Shettles but had sex close to ovulation last time and had a boy.  We had it close-ish to ovulation but not the same day this time.  I don't know what we're having yet.

Like PPs said, this theory is just that and some studies have shown that it doesn't work. 

I just want to say that typical sperm only have ONE chromosome, either X or Y.

To the OP: Shettles seems like BS. GL TTC, though!

• I was only temping for the last two, but we weren't trying Shettles, specifically, for any of our kids.  Anyway, I got PG the day I O'd with baby #3... he's a boy.  This baby was a complete surprise, but we had sex 5 days before I O'd and got KTFU.  We'll find out on August 30th what it is, but if Shettles is correct at all, it should 100% be a girl, right??  We'll see.  I'm thinking boy, actually.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• If our gender scan was right at 17 weeks then no, shettles would not have worked. We were not TTC but the deed that produced our little spawn (the ONLY one that could've been possible) was 3-4 days before O. We were told at our scan that is was probably a boy, but last week during a quick scan the midwife didn't see any boy bits so we'll find out the final word in 2 weeks (hopefully).
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • We were having sex daily when I conceived and we're having a girl... So this a moot point for us.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • We were not trying for either......actually we were trying to avoid that cycle. We had sex once 4 or 5 days before O. Shettles says we should be having a girl, but we've got a little peen growing in there. So I say Shettles is a load of crap and it is just all up to the universe as to what you'll get. I wouldn't use any method like that - you're likely not conceive or be disappointed. Just my thoughts though.
    Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Um, yes and no.

With my first two, we had lots of sex before, during and after ovulation. We had two boys. We weren't following Shettles, but it the genders did line up with the theory.

This time we had sex twice, and 3 and 5 days before ovulation, trying for a girl. We're having another boy unless Harmony is wrong.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• My son was conceived five days before o. Untrue for me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much ladies!!! This basically tells me it's a crock and we'll just go at it like bunnies and see what happens.

Congrats on all your bumps!

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"