Parenting

Refresh My Memory re: Solids

So, even though DS2 is only 4 1/2 months we decided to start him on rice cereal because he's doubled his birth weight, can sit upright in the high chair without support, and was starting to wake up earlier to eat and was downing 7 oz bottles like they were nothing.  It went over really well and he kept grabbing the spoon and shoving it in his mouth and actually ate all of it so I guess he was ready for a little something extra.

Right now we are just doing a little bit of cereal once a day.  We started with rice just because it's the least likely to cause any sort of allergy issues.  How long should I do just cereal before moving on to fruits and veggies?  There is so much conflicting info out there ATM about solids so I'm kind of shopping around for opinions before I make my decision.  Also, can you guys direct me to some BLW resources?  When he turns 6 months we are going to start doing BLW at home and purees at daycare so I want to read up.  Thanks!  

image image

Re: Refresh My Memory re: Solids

• imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Our pedi recommended veggies to start off with at the 4 month check up because of the same reasons you described.  I just tried one once a day for a couple of days and then would move on to another.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, ATM to me means something completely not related to babies, and I don't know what BLW means at all, soooo...

DD1 got rice in her formula really young, and it chunked her up. We started with banana purees around 4 months, and did peas and pears and carrots, etc. I had no patience for giving her the same thing for a week before introducing something new. Apparently that is the worst thing in the history of ever to do.

DD2 wanted nothing to do with purees until around 7 months, but we did the same thing once she showed an interest in food. I was a lot less uptight about feeding her, being the second and all. She got whatever I was eating, only baby friendly. 

I didn't give want to give them anything chunkier than runny purees until they had teeth, but the ladies at DC were giving them all kinds of foods and they weren't gagging, so I did the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did rice only for 2-3 weeks with DD and she became terribly constipated, so I vowed next time to start with vegetables. If I started with rice, I'd introduce fruit/veg within days.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We break all the rules. We have no hx of allergies in my family so DD2's first food was sweet potato & apple puree, which she thought was awesome. She's also had prunes, pear & oatmeal, oatmeal & banana, and butternut squash. We don't wait more than a day between stuff and we've not run into any issues yet. 
  • We started with oatmeal-- DD hated it so we added some fruits and veggies and she's been chowing away. I usually wait a day or two between foods but no longer and I've already been mixing two things at a time. She had blueberries and bananas yesterday for breakfast. I make my own so there is a lot of experimenting going on. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • msdrdgmsdrdg member
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagekiraliz2:
    Why do people think rice is the least likely to cause allergies?

Rice allergies are insanely rare, almost to the point where they are unheard of.

DS is the rare one.  He had a major skin reaction to rice.  The Dr didn't believe me and tried to tell me he had sensitive skin and was red from drool.  Ummm...no.  As soon as I took him off the rice the giant red welt went away.

We went with oatmeal mixed with fruit from then on.

The Book of Love Has Music in it

• imageGhostMonkey:
    imagekiraliz2:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imagekiraliz2:
    Why do people think rice is the least likely to cause allergies?

Rice allergies are insanely rare, almost to the point where they are unheard of.

I read that as causing allergies. Not the reaction, the actual allergy itself. Not sure if that's what was meant, but I just never got the allergy reason for starting with rice cereal.

The food doesn't cause the allergy, rice is very low on the list of foods that are common allergens, which is why you would start there over wheat since wheat is a much more common allergen.

Yup. Rice allergies are rare. We have a history of seasonal allergies, gluten sensitivity, and I have anaphylactic reactions to wasps so there is a small chance of other types of reactions. Just being cautious since he's so little. I'm only planning on doing rice until we finish the container we bought then I'm going to go with oatmeal.

image image
  • Cereal was a nightmare on DS' digestive system, so we went straight to purees at 4 months. Like your DS, he had awesome head control, sat up well, and gave us all the prompts that he was ready. We had no problems, with any food.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• We started on oatmeal instead of rice to avoid constipation. We then added sweeter veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. I avoided fruit for a loooong time so he wouldn't prefer fruit over veggies. Didn't work. :(

We basically did a pretty standard stage 1, stage 2...then skipped stage 3 foods for finger foods for the most part.  We don't really do purees anymore except for veggies because it's the only way he'll eat them. Very annoying. Pouches FTW!

• Thanks for all the info.  I wasn't entirely sure if the fruits and veggies first thing was coming from the new recommendation to start at 6 months or what.  My first had rice in his bottles no problem (severe reflux) from 3 months on so in my experience starting with rice isn't a huge deal.  I'll probably do the rice cereal for a week then add in something like avocado or sweet potato to start.  

image image
  • I have dd some plain rice cereal around 4 mos. it made her so constipated. So we waited a month and did veggies and oatmeal cereal. Dd had oatmeal with every meal til she was like 13 mos. the oatmeal kept her fuller and kept her regular. I have never heard of reaction to rice cereal.
  • It doesn't really matter what order you start solids in, as long as you're giving a source of iron after about 6 months. So, iron fortified cereals or texture appropriate meats and alternatives.
    SQUIRREL!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"