May 2013 Moms

How many newborn diapers?

Hello ladies - I'm visiting over from the August 2013 board - and thought you might be just the group to ask my question as I prepare for baby next month.

How many newborn diapers did you end up needing?  I don't want to overbuy but don't want to run out too quickly either.

Thanks!  

Re: How many newborn diapers?

• I only used about 1 1/2 of the small packs before we had to move up to size 1 and at 8 weeks are in size 2. Though my baby was 8 lbs 15oz when born.
  • I really didn't NEED any. The hospital only had size 1 and they fit perfectly fine even though they technically start at 8lbs and DD was 7lbs 2oz.

I used whatever newborn size I got at my shower and they lasted about 3 and a half weeks. Newborns are good for up to 10 lbs, so it really depends on the size of your baby at birth.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • it just depends on your baby's birth weight, my LO was 6lbs 11oz (got down to 6lbs 5 oz) and went through about two boxes of NB size (so about 200) before he was big enough for 1s
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My LO was 6lbs 14 oz at birth and dropped down to 6lbs 2 oz.  We used all the way until 6 weeks. So figure about 8-10 diapers a day.  We tried to go to size one earlier but they were too big and we kept having blow outs. '

If you have an 8lb baby you probably will not need more than a box.

Jack is 10 weeks and still not close to needing size 2 yet.  

photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dd was 8.9 lbs and was in size one for about two weeks and that was pushing it, she's 8 weeks and in twos now. I wouldn't buy many ones or newborn sizes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just remember to keep your receipts so you can return them or exchange for a larger size if you get too many.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Abbie was 8lbs9oz at birth and we used newborns for about 3weeks if that then moved on to size 1. She was having blow outs and than stopped as soon as we moved up. She's been in size 2 since about 6 or 7 weeks. Remember that if your lo goes up a size sooner than thought you can take back the sizes you don't need without hassle. We did this with some newborn and size 1... No receipt was needed.
  • LO was 8lb 6oz, 22" at birth but dropped down to 7lb 4oz and took a month to get back to birth weight. He was in NB for 5 weeks because he was long and skinny. That was about 4 or 5 small packs.
  • delinodelino member
    It greatly depends on the size of your baby. Mine was born at under 7lbs and went down to 6lbs. She went through a little over 200 NB diapers and could have gone longer since they go up to 10lbs, but I moved her to size 1 when she was about 8.5lbs since they overlap and size 1 starts at 8lbs and I had 2 cases of those.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We jumped right to size 1. My son was 8 lbs 9 oz when he was born and the hospital used size 1 from the time he was born.
  • My LO was in newborn for maybe a week and a half so I went through a few sm bags. and I ended up giving away the rest of the NB I had. my LO was 8 pounds 11oz.
  • We're an anomaly, but other than what we used in the hospital, we used none. DH was 9.14 at birth and 23.5 inches long, so he didn't fit in them. If the hospital had size 1s, we would have used those.

Of course I bought a box I had opened and now need to donate, so I wouldn't go overboard buying Ns and I certainly wouldn't open them! I did return another unopened N pack I had purchased.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • My DD was 7lbs 8oz when she was born. We are still in newborn so I've had to purchase about 4 or 5oxes of the 96 count and my friend gave me some at my shower. So like everyone said it all depends in your baby.
  • My son was 8lbs 1oz at birth and I used newborn diapers until he was almost 2 months old. He is really long and has a teeny little booty so they just fit better. He's ten weeks now and the size ones still have a good bit of room for him to grow into.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSpapeggy:
    My dd was 8.9 lbs and was in size one for about two weeks and that was pushing it, she's 8 weeks and in twos now. I wouldn't buy many ones or newborn sizes

This really depends on the size of your baby. My LO was in newborns for about 2-3 weeks and she was born at 7 lbs 5 oz. We were changing every 1-2 hours that first week and every 2-3 thereafter, so we went through about 2 of the smallest packs and about 2 or 3 of the bigger packs.

She's now around 10.5-11 pounds (estimate) at 8 weeks and in size 1's comfortably. I think we will be in these awhile longer.

I'd probably buy 1 case of newborns, or 2 of the bigger packages (I think they have like 72 diapers in them). Don't open them until LO is home, keep the receipt in case you need to exchange for a bigger size. Buy a couple cases of the 1's, you will for sure be in those for awhile.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would say we used about 500 NB diapers.  He was 8lbs, no blowout issues or anything.  We blew through those diapers like crazy.
  • pnutgpnutg member
    My son was 9.5 lbs and I used them for almost 2 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with PPs that it depends on your baby. My LO was 6lbs 8oz and wore newborns until just this weekend when she was 2 months old. She is 9lbs 5oz now and can still fit in NBs easily, but we ran out and I had a case of 1s ready to go. We used up two 240 packs, so that is 480 NB size.

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageohgrl95:

My LO was 6lbs 14 oz at birth and dropped down to 6lbs 2 oz.  We used all the way until 6 weeks. So figure about 8-10 diapers a day.  We tried to go to size one earlier but they were too big and we kept having blow outs. '

If you have an 8lb baby you probably will not need more than a box.

Jack is 10 weeks and still not close to needing size 2 yet.  

This. My LO is 9 weeks now and we were in size newborn until about 1-2 weeks ago. He can still wear newborn clothes even. However, my 13 months old was only in newborn diapers for about 3 weeks. Every baby is different.

I would say buy one pack just to be safe and then when your LO gets here you can better know if you need more or not. 

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• be888be888 member
    My son was 8.7 lbs at birth, went down to 7.14 lbs. We used 4 small packs of NB, until he was 2 1/2 weeks. He has a super long torso, and we may have to move up to size 3 soon. :( You can always buy more if you need them.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Like everyone else is saying, it totally depends on the size of your baby. S is 11 weeks and still in newborn diapers and newborn clothing. She was born at 5lb 14 oz and was 8lb 7oz at her 2month appt last week. I know we've gone through at least 8 72-76 count boxes since she hates wet diapers. I would start off with just one pack, since you can always go get more when you find out how big your baby will be!
  • Our LO is 8 weeks and we are jut moving to size 1. So we used about 4 cases but she was 6.1lbs at birth. Depends on your baby

• Congrats! It really does depend in your LO's birth weight. Our LO weighed 6.2 and dropped down to 5.6 so she was in Newborn Pampers till 7 weeks. We went thru about 810 diapers daily so needless to say we needed several packs of nb size.
    Our neighbors LO weighed 10.5 lbs and went almost straight to Size 2.
    Just get a couple packs and Save The Receipts! Better safe than sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"