August 2013 Moms

Pregnant Women in wheelchair Shopping carts?

So is this a thing? I was at Costco today, and a pregnant woman (seemed far along, but can't be sure) was doing her shopping in one of the store's electric wheelchair shopping carts. Now, I can easily think of at least a half dozen reasons why this might be necessary, but I've never seen it before. Has anyone else seen this? Made me think of the "I'm pregnant not disabled" threads, but of course, I know for some women they do have lots of limitations. I'd just never seen this before.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Pregnant Women in wheelchair Shopping carts?

• Dude- I just did this yesterday. I can barely walk though. 

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • I get contractions when I'm up too much. That's how I shop
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I'm done walking. I walked yesterday at the grocery store, but that was the last. I'm sending FI on all of the errands now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRooster&Memphis:
    Dude- I just did this yesterday. I can barely walk though. 

:-/ sorry to hear that! She did get up to check out, and definitely looked uncomfortable. I've got a few more weeks to go, so who knows if I'll need to as well! Good to know it wouldn't be too uncommon. Might not work with DD in tow...though she would love it, I'm sure. 

• imageSarahinMD:
    So is this a thing? I was at Costco today, and a pregnant woman (seemed far along, but can't be sure) was doing her shopping in one of the store's electric wheelchair shopping carts. Now, I can easily think of at least a half dozen reasons why this might be necessary, but I've never seen it before. Has anyone else seen this? Made me think of the "I'm pregnant not disabled" threads, but of course, I know for some women they do have lots of limitations. I'd just never seen this before.

I would much rather see a pregnant woman in the electic wheelchairs then the obese people. JMO

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageRooster&Memphis:

I was going to say, I thought someone just shared that they had done it. I've never seen it though.  

imageimage
    Anniversary

• I have seen it.

Actually, I have debated renting one at the zoo so I can go with the kids and DH. With the heat, swollen feet, and serous pressure when I walk, I am not sure I could make it without one. Lol.

Any third tri with sciatic nerve pain or on modified bed rest should use one if they want, IMO.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• I've never seen it. However I know there are cases when this is warranted and I know that some people take advantage of being pregnant. I personally know a woman who was perfectly healthy, young and athletic and as soon as she got her BFP she "had" to stop working. It really just depends on the situation. With my first baby however I was in school full time getting my BSN and working full time. Granted I had a perfect pregnancy and worked until the day I was induced. Everyone is different.
    •  
      imagebreezalina82:

imageRooster&Memphis:

I was going to say, I thought someone just shared that they had done it. I've never seen it though.  

Best decision I made yesterday.  

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    • My BFF had too when she was pregnant after about the 7th month.  Then again she's 5'2 and seriously looked like she swallowed a full blown beach ball by then. And her poor feet were so swollen. I offered to go a few times for her so she didn't have to but she always said she wasn't 'helpless just took her longer'. 

and sadly... I thought about it with DS2... not yet with LO.  

Pregnancy Ticker
    • imageMelanieian:

I would much rather see a pregnant woman in the electic wheelchairs then the obese people. JMO

This is what I was thinking.  

• When i was first pregnant i saw a woman at sam's club far along in a wheel chair cart. I remember hoping i would never use one but I see no prob at all,

1) SPD

2) Its a big store

I never judge people using them (except teens obviously screwing around) because you never know their situation, She may not even be in it cuz she is pregnant, and even if it is her only reason it could be that she is in a lot more pain than you are. Everyone's body handles the extra weight differently and right now if i had to go sam's i would strongly consider using it.

• imagetanabeans:
      When i was first pregnant i saw a woman at sam's club far along in a wheel chair cart. I remember hoping i would never use one but I see no prob at all,1 SPD2 Its a big storeI never judge people using them except teens obviously screwing around because you never know their situation, She may not even be in it cuz she is pregnant, and even if it is her only reason it could be that she is in a lot more pain than you are. Everyone's body handles the extra weight differently and right now if i had to go sam's i would strongly consider using it.

This. Even obese people, we do not know their situation. I wouldn't want someone to judge me, so I try to not judge them. I am not a perfect person, sometimes my mind can be terrible, but I do feel like a total jerk after.
      A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
    • I get random bouts of low BP/blood sugar and walking around makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. There are plenty of people I would side eye before a pregnant woman
      Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
      Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
      07/03/2012
      08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
      or you're all the way grown,
      my promise to you
      is you're never alone.
      You are my angel, my darling,
      my star...and my love will find you,
      wherever you are."
    • imagechattychiqa:
      Eh it could be anything...sciatica, or even worse, something not pregnancy related like MS and she just happens to be pregnant. I side eye teens goofing around on them. A pregnant person, not so much.

This.  

imageimage
      Anniversary

• I just got back from Disney world for my anniversary. There was no way I was walking around. My DH wheeled me around the entire park lol.
    • Meh. Pregnancy brings on all other sorts of ailments. No a regular pregnant person is not disabled, but you never know what complications this person might have. They might have kidney stones or gallstones or preterm labour. They might have severe spd. Unless they were fooling around I wouldn't side eye.

Married 07/17/2010
      Diagnosed with PCOS 10/20/2010 
      TTC since Oct 2010 
      BFP #1 March 31st 2011 Due December 10 2011 
      Missed m/c discovered June 2nd 2011 at 12w4d
      D&C scheduled June 7th 2011 at 13w2d
      Found out our baby boy had Triploidy XXY through embryopathology
      BFP #2 September 28th 2011 Due June 8th 2012
      Missed m/c discovered November 20th 2011 at 11w2d
      D&C November 29th 2011 at 12w4d
      Found out our baby girl had Monosomy X through embryopathology
      BFP #3 April 24th 2012 Due January 5th 2013
      Betas falling on 04/26/12 Chemical Pregnancy
      RPL testing done, multi nodular goiters on thyroid discovered.

BFP #4 November 22nd 2012, Due August 5th 2013
      Betas: 17 @ 9dpo, 62 @ 11dpo, 124 @ 12dpo, 321 @ 14dpo 720 @ 16dpo 13,805 @ 23 dpo 
      First ultrasound at 6w3d, hb 122 bpm. 
      Second ultrasound at 7w3d hb 143 bpm 
      Third ultrasound at 10w1d hb 167-170 bpm 
      Forth ultrasound 12w1d hb 167 bpm 
      Graduated rpl program, moving on to regular ob! 
      It's a boy! 

Little man was born August 1st 2013, 7lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches long

• I haven't used one (yet!), but I would not begrudge someone the use of a cart. They're there for people with mobility issues and lots of pregnant people have limited mobility.

My mom broke her ankle a couple of weeks ago and has rented a scooter until she can put some weight on it. I won't deny that I'm coveting it a little. 

• I did this all the time.  It wasn't a good feeling but it was absolutely necessary for me to be able to do basic shopping.
      Lilypie - (4vrz)

• Here's another question... what about handicap spots? I mean.. for example, Target has like 20 spots that are never used.. anyone ever consider using one and chancing it? I haven't at Target.. but the other day I went to pick up takeout and the only open spots were handicap except for the spot all the way in the back... I seriously considered it bc I was feeling terrible that day and knew it would only be for 5 minutes.... but then I wussed out... thoughts? 
    • thellxthellx member

I've thought about using one recently. I have never liked the "pregnant not disabled" mentality, because I feel like it trivializes or puts down the women who aren't fortunate enough to have easy, uncomplicated pregnancies. For some women, the discomfort or complications that they experience do leave them feeling disabled or unable to manage seemingly simple tasks and activities, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think everyone's experience is different, and as someone who has not had an easy or enjoyable pregnancy, I can understand the need or desire to use a wheelchair for a task that would have been a breeze pre-pregnancy. As long as they're not just clearly screwing around on it, I think it's fine.

• imageBlondieBia21:
      imagetanabeans:
      When i was first pregnant i saw a woman at sam's club far along in a wheel chair cart. I remember hoping i would never use one but I see no prob at all,1 SPD2 Its a big storeI never judge people using them except teens obviously screwing around because you never know their situation, She may not even be in it cuz she is pregnant, and even if it is her only reason it could be that she is in a lot more pain than you are. Everyone's body handles the extra weight differently and right now if i had to go sam's i would strongly consider using it.
      This. Even obese people, we do not know their situation. I wouldn't want someone to judge me, so I try to not judge them. I am not a perfect person, sometimes my mind can be terrible, but I do feel like a total jerk after.

Yup

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
      Photobucket
    • imageNikki&Albert522:
      Here's another question... what about handicap spots? I mean.. for example, Target has like 20 spots that are never used.. anyone ever consider using one and chancing it? I haven't at Target.. but the other day I went to pick up takeout and the only open spots were handicap except for the spot all the way in the back... I seriously considered it bc I was feeling terrible that day and knew it would only be for 5 minutes.... but then I wussed out... thoughts? 

It's illegal to park there without a handicapped sticker or tag. I wouldn't want to get towed or a ticket.

Photobucket
    • I haven't done it yet, but I certainly can understand why a pregnant person would. I get really bad pain/pressure in my lower abdomen if I stand too long. On top of that, my feet are so swollen that flip flops leave indentations.

I also thought, like another poster, that woman could have a mobility-limiting condition and also just happen to be pregnant.

I think it's totally fine and justifiable.  

• Hmmmm... I get contractions when I walk too much, along with one of my leg going numb and my back killing me and I never even thought to get a wheel chair anywhere. Now I feel like I've been needlessly suffering all along lol
      Both conceived using 7.5 mg Femara+Ovidrel+IUI

• imageNikki&Albert522:
      Here's another question... what about handicap spots? I mean.. for example, Target has like 20 spots that are never used.. anyone ever consider using one and chancing it? I haven't at Target.. but the other day I went to pick up takeout and the only open spots were handicap except for the spot all the way in the back... I seriously considered it bc I was feeling terrible that day and knew it would only be for 5 minutes.... but then I wussed out... thoughts? 

I feel guilty if I use a handicapped stall in the restroom, which I've done twice this pregnancy.  Once because the doors opened in and there was no way the door would squeeze past my belly.  The other because all other stalls were taken and I literally could not wait to pee until one became available.  There is no way I would ever park in a handicapped spot, but if the store has expectant mother parking, then I do take advantage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
    • I haven't used a wheelchair and I probably won't. I do have a handicap parking pass because I have permenant mobility issues. I am in my 20s and I get a lot of dirty looks when I park in handicap spots. It irritates me because people don't know me or what I go through. I try not to judge others because I never know what they are going through.
    • imagebendicott7:

imageNikki&amp;Albert522:
      Here's another question... what about handicap spots? I mean.. for example, Target has like 20 spots that are never used.. anyone ever consider using one and chancing it? I haven't at Target.. but the other day I went to pick up takeout and the only open spots were handicap except for the spot all the way in the back... I seriously considered it bc I was feeling terrible that day and knew it would only be for 5 minutes.... but then I wussed out... thoughts?&nbsp;

I feel guilty if I use a handicapped stall in the restroom, which I've done twice this pregnancy.&nbsp; Once because the doors opened in and there was no way the door would squeeze past my belly.&nbsp; The other because all other stalls were taken and I literally could not wait to pee until one became available.&nbsp; There is no way I would ever park in a handicapped spot, but if the store has expectant mother parking, then I do take advantage.

I got stuck in a stall at toys r us because it was really small. Once I was in I couldn't open the door to get out because my belly was too big. I have been pretty small my whole pregnancy so I don't mind using the handicap stalls when the regular ones are tiny.
    • My sister was 5'1", and she had twins that were pretty big at birth. By the 7th month she such difficulty walking that the local Walmart actually insisted that she use one while at their location, because they were worried she might be a liability. 
      BabyFruit Ticker
    • I'm guilty of saying "I'm pregnant, not disabled!" so I refuse to use the wheelchair. 

Ive considered it though; my back is killing me and my right leg goes completely numb. I haven't, nor will I, though. I can walk, I just don't want to and I'd feel awful if someone who actually needed one came in and didn't have access.  

DD1 4.14.10
      DD2 8.22.13
      MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
      Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
    • tdmklmtdmklm member

imageRooster&Memphis:

Ditto. After four hours of walking at two different furniture stores, I was done. I got a wheelchair at IKEA because I started having contractions.

• tdmklmtdmklm member

imageNikki&Albert522:

Never. If someone's mobility is THAT impaired, they can get a temp permit. I just used a wheelchair yesterday, but I'd never ever take a handicapped spot.

• I see the "pregnant not disabled" statement going more towards those who are truly JUST pregnant and not having any issues from it (ie, SPD, swollen feet, difficulty walking long distances, etc) Ive always seen that statement as something geared towards those that say "but I should get special XYZ treatment because I am pregnant"

I havent had to use the electric wheelchair but I wouldnt be above it. It is getting hard to do simple tasks. I have had multiple foot surgeries in the past and using one is not fun. People stare at you, it is hard to fit in the aisles, it beeps like a truck when you back up, etc. I wouldnt side eye anyone using it (except the aforementioned teens joking around) because its not something I found to be awesome.

As for the parking spaces, no I would never use one without a permit. I have had temp permits in the past and even then would only use them immediately after surgery when I was still on crutches. I saw this bad a$s lady at Costco one day in a handicap spot. Despite being paralyzed from the waist down, she pulled her wheelchair out herself, attached the front wheels (it was a racing style chair) and made her way into the store. I thought from then on "unless I am severely impaired from going a long distance, I refuse to use this pass." Think about those people when you consider using the spot.

• I am of two minds on this subject. There are legitimate reasons for women to actually need a wheelchair or scooter, but usually it is related to pret-term labor, not discomfort.

IMO, swollen ankles, sciatic nerve pain, and pelvic pressure are just the less than savory side effects of being pregnant, but are not considered legitimate reasons. Are they painful and uncomfortable reasons? Sure, but no one is forcing anyone to go shopping or on day trips.

Warning...blanket statement ahead...I think women are "softer"  than they used to be years ago.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    • Oh and the parking spots go without saying. That's even worse, imo.
      Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    • imageCelticWife:
      I have seen it. Actually, I have debated renting one at the zoo so I can go with the kids and DH. With the heat, swollen feet, and serous pressure when I walk, I am not sure I could make it without one. Lol. Any third tri with sciatic nerve pain or on modified bed rest should use one if they want, IMO.

I'm going to the zoo this week and I have been having this exact debate with myself.

• Pregnancy in and of itself is not a disability but it can certainly create some good ones as side effects especially in the last trimester. extreme anemia, sciatica, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, low blood sugar etc etc etc

Engaged 10/2/1202
      BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
      Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
      Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
      BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
    • imagebendicott7:

imageNikki&amp;Albert522:
      Here's another question... what about handicap spots? I mean.. for example, Target has like 20 spots that are never used.. anyone ever consider using one and chancing it? I haven't at Target.. but the other day I went to pick up takeout and the only open spots were handicap except for the spot all the way in the back... I seriously considered it bc I was feeling terrible that day and knew it would only be for 5 minutes.... but then I wussed out... thoughts?&nbsp;

I feel guilty if I use a handicapped stall in the restroom, which I've done twice this pregnancy.&nbsp; Once because the doors opened in and there was no way the door would squeeze past my belly.&nbsp; The other because all other stalls were taken and I literally could not wait to pee until one became available.&nbsp; There is no way I would ever park in a handicapped spot, but if the store has expectant mother parking, then I do take advantage.

I use the handicap stall all the time, pregnant or not, as long as there's no one that is actually handicap waiting to use it. A bathroom stall and a parking spot are so different it's not like you are going to be in the stall for hours on end and you are also THERE to leave of someone in need comes along. The stalls are there to fulfill ADA requirements, but the law in no way dictate they are only available to handicap people. But I'm also the kind of woman that will use a single unit men's room if its empty as long as its clean. I think it's ridious to wait in line when there is a perfectly good bathroom available no one else is using.

In regards to the original question, I don't need the wheelchair for shopping, so I wouldn't use it. But if I was swollen like a ballon and it hurt to walk, or i had mad sciatic pain from standing, you betcha I would.
      Married My Love on 6/18/2006
      BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
      BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
      BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
      BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
      BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
      <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
       photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
    • I seriously considered it the other day. After foot surgery I had to use one. I hate being so low and there are some serious visibility issues when using them, but if it comes to it, I'd use it again. I did a pretty big grocery shopping trip this weekend and almost didn't make it towards the end. They had to help take my groceries to my car and it was a little while before I finally drove home. I won't be surprised if I have to use one in the next few weeks. Or DH is going to have to start doing all the shopping.
      | My Blog l image
    • so many things to respond to:

pregnant women using the electric carts: If DH wasn't being awesome and helping me shop, yeah, I might... my feet get swollen when I am on them to walk through the whole store... so if I walk in already swollen (like after work) I am in a lot of pain by the third aisle. 

obese people using the electric carts: you have no clue what problems they have... You don't even know if its a laziness thing for them.
      Trust me. It sucks to have people look at you like you are a lazy slob who doesn't care for their health at all... Or even have the balls to say it to your face or "under their breath" loud enough for them to hear.
      So get over your judgmental attitude of obese people. your judgement will not make anything "better", and they may actually be healthy. Same goes for if someone looks "too skinny."

Handicap stalls: really, if no one is in the bathroom that obviously needs it, I use it. Especially now. those bars are amazingly helpful to me in terms of getting up without getting dizzy.

Handicap spots: I have never parked in one, never will.  

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
      The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
      imageimage
    This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "