April 2013 Moms

Do you have a will?

DH and I went to talk with our financial adviser this week and he said that since we now have a child making a will really isn't an option anymore (we have DS as the beneficiary of our 401ks, life insurance, etc.).  

I know it's something we have to get done, especially because here in Texas if we don't have designated who his guardian should be the state decides which means he could theoretically end up in foster care until they decide if both DH and I died. That thought alone is enough to put my butt in gear!  

Do you have a will?  Just curious if anyone else has one done or not.

Re: Do you have a will?

• We keep saying we have to do it but haven't yet. Thanks for the friendly reminder though!
  • imagecece2682:
    We keep saying we have to do it but haven't yet. Thanks for the friendly reminder though!

Same!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecece2682:
    We keep saying we have to do it but haven't yet. Thanks for the friendly reminder though!

Us too
    CafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I a tuLly just finished mine & emailed my lawyer last week to look over it. I'd be actively working on it since I was 6 months pregnant.im just so daunting & grime but I knew I needed to get it done.

i hate the effen auto correct , 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ktr722ktr722 member
    My SILs friend is a lawyer so we had her do it for us. It's definitely something you should get done sooner or later bc you never know what can happen. No one ever wants to think that way, but it's in the best interest of your LO. God forbid something happen to DH and I, we know that our LO will be taken care of by the people we trust most in this world.
  • How expensive is it to make a will? How do you even go about making one??
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've written ours, but they aren't signed/notarized. So legally speaking, no, not yet.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • DunkinDunkin member
    Yes. We had one drawn up by our lawyer when DS was born. We updated it after our first DD. We have to tweak some things again with number 3 since she was a su prise.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we don't have one yet, either.  

isn't it crazy how the birth of our babies make us prepare for our deaths?  oy. lol 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    I drafted a very basic one, mostly to appoint a guardian for our DS. I used a simple form copied from a coworker. We need to update it now for DD along with the beneficiaries of our various accounts, piddly though they are. Thanks for that reminder! Unless you have a lot of assets or a complicated estate, I would think a basic will should cost under 500 for an attorney to draft.
  • Yep. We sat down with our attorney after Ava was born and made a detailed will and set up a trust. We have to adjust a few small things now that Mila is here but the framework is there.

• No and we need one. We need to have a formal conversation with the people who will be taking care of the kids first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"