Parenting

Wwyd???

I live a state over from my family. I like to visit but where I stay at families house my grandma smokes inside. When I come to visit she smokes in the garage and airs out the house 2 days before with fans and windows open. I really hate the smoke but its for 4 days and nights. Would you still go with 2 kids? My dd is going to be 11 weeks when I go. Ds is 2. I love going and they're so great to me and my kiddos. I just feel bad about second hand smoke. I've gone 4 times since ds was born but never when he was this small. Tia
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wwyd???

• I wouldn't, but I really, REALLY, hate cigarettes and smoke. It's my one bugaboo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do too. My whole family loves within 3 hours and are all coming. Like 15 to 20 family members want too see and meet the baby. Plus see my son. I haven't gone in about 8 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKristen050:
    I wouldn't, but I really, REALLY, hate cigarettes and smoke. It's my one bugaboo.

Same here. What about a hotel, would that hurt her feelings? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Yes that would really hurt her. Plus with the trip down gas wise I won't have money for hotel.
  • For me, smoke is a huge NO and I wouldn't bring my kids into a smokey home for any kind of extended period.

• I could not stomach the stale smoke.  I can even tell when I am in a hotel room that used to be a smoking room.  Can you make up an allergy or something and just stay in a hotel so it doesn't hurt her feelings?

image image
  • I couldn't do it myself and definitely not with my children. Smoking inside a house is just gross. Airing it out for a couple of days isn't going to remove the smell.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • When are you planning on leaving? Can she stop smoking in her house today?! I'm not going to say I'd never stay in a smokers house but I really really wouldn't want to. Not with my kids. ...maybe if she started airing out and frebreezed starting now?
    There's no one else's house to stay at?
    I'm sorry, that's frustrating, it sounds like you really want to go and seeing everyone would be fun for you....
  • I personally wouldn't stay in a smoker's house. I grew up with my dad smoking 3 packs a day, and I can't stand the smell. If I couldn't afford a hotel, and had no where else I could stay, I simply wouldn't go. Can your mom come and stay with you? Maybe if she has to come visit you enough, she will consider quitting, for her health and so her grandbabies can come see her. No to be snotty with that last comment, but it is certainly an incentive to quit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd stay at a hotel. Your baby is so young. And that stink lingers.

• With an 11-week old, no, I would not stay with a smoker.  Studies have shown the dangers of second- and third-hand smoke, and airing out the house two days before arrival is just not enough to protect your LO.  

I come from a family of smokers, so I sympathize with how difficult this conversation is.  Tell your family that the pediatrician has advised you to avoid second- and third-hand smoke around your children, and send them a link with more information.  If you make your pediatrician the bad guy, it helps the decision seem like less of a personal judgement. 

• No.

Two days is nowhere near enough and I wouldn't be able to stand the smell. Just rent a hotel room.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• I think if you take the time to see her, she probably won't be that upset you aren't staying with her. She should understand smoke is not healthy for children to be exposed, and the smell alone is unsavory too.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• No I wouldn't stay with her. There is no reason to jeopardize you and your childrens health for a smoker. If money is an issue, don't stay for four days.
  • Thank you for all your replies. My granny will never quit. We've tried. She's smoked since she was 11! She's in her late 60s. Each time I've gone before it makes a huge difference when aired out. I know not near 100 but def better. Ill talk to my pedi and get stats to tell her. I know she'll be hurt...she's a fireball
  • imagePackerfan79:
    I don't understand why you not wanting to stay in her house would hurt her feelings. She should realize that cigarette smoke is harmful to everyone, not just tiny babies. It seems selfish that someone who have hurt feelings over a non smoker not wanting to be around carcinogens. But if you're saying you have no money for a hotel what's the alternative? You just don't go?

I agree.

Thirdhand smoke is a big problem too. It's in the walls, curtains, bed sheets, towels. Not only could I not stomach it, but it's just plain bad for you and everyone else. And I say this as a former smoker.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/third-hand-smoke/AN01985

"To me, you are perfect."

• imageSpapeggy:
    Thank you for all your replies. My granny will never quit. We've tried. She's smoked since she was 11! She's in her late 60s. Each time I've gone before it makes a huge difference when aired out. I know not near 100 but def better. Ill talk to my pedi and get stats to tell her. I know she'll be hurt...she's a fireball

You have a grandmother in her 60s??? Wow! My grandmother would have been 98! Hell, my mother was 67 when she passed away in June. You guys are young!!

I need to sit down in my rocking chair. I feel old.

• I'm 26, my moms 47 and my granny is actually 65. She was very young when she got married. She is young but bad healthy due to smoking and high atress
  • Nope. Febreeze does not help w/ dangers and health risks due to 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. Can Granny afford pay for the hotel? That way she gets to meet your baby and you don't have to put your kid's health in jeopardy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I'm also young, with a young mama and young granny!

To answer your question, NO. My son doesn't even visit homes of smokers and when smokers visit us, they dont smoke during their visit.

Second and even third hand smoke can be harmful and it stinks.

Is there another family member you can stay with? Or even split a hotel room with?

First we had eachother.5.27.11
    Then we had you.6.16.12
    Now we have everything.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Ok ladies

I talked to my mom and I am going to go her house 3 hours away. If family wants to come they can come visit there. My mom smokes but she is great about it, only after ds goes to bed at night and showers in the morning and changes clothes before ds gets up. So I am going to do that. I want to go to grannys but I just don't feel good about it. I have gone with ds when he was 2 but dd is so little. I don't even like it with ds. So I think I am done doing that. Thank you for the input. My granny would not pay or help pay for a hotel. I forgot my brother has an appt and offered me adn the kids to stay. I may take that route but then still they have big get togethers at grannys. Texas heat is too much to stay outside with the kids all the day while we visit. So we shall see. For now I think my moms is where I will go and hope some will visit. 

• I would go but stay at a hotel or someone else's house.  Airing out the house for 2 days will not change the fact that she smokes inside the house the rest of the time and its in the furniture/carpets.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"