August 2013 Moms

My STM advice for FTM about baby clothes

Mobile: My STM advice for FTM about baby clothes

Unsnap, unbutton, unzip ALL of the clothes in your baby's wardrobe, whether in the drawers or closet.

As I washed my first loads of baby clothes today, it was clear which ones we never used last time, because the 3 stupid crotch buttons on the onesies were snapped, or the sleepers were zipped and buttoned at the top.  It's just not practical when you need to change them in the middle of the night, or any other time!

Any other clothing tips?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My STM advice for FTM about baby clothes

• Great advice; thank you! 
  • Thanks for the advice :
  • Loading the player...
  • It's funny you say that because it took DH a while to understand my preference for that when doing baby laundry these last few years. He gets it now, that it's so much easier to dress if the snaps aren't closed.
  • Ok mommies to be, see the onesies with the neck like this one?

That is so the onesie can slip down the baby's body when they have a blowout so that you do not have to pull it over their head. :)

• imageWashingtonQueen:

Ok mommies to be, see the onesies with the neck like this one?

That is so the onesie can slip down the baby's body when they have a blowout so that you do not have to pull it over their head. :)

YesYes 

• Thanks for the advice!!
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

Good to know! Thank you! 

• Wonderful advice! Thank you! I forgot to ask my best friend why she unsnapped all the clothes we were prepping for laundry after my shower. Now it makes sense! And I also love the tip about the onesie for the blowout!
  • imageatoz625:
    imageWashingtonQueen:

YesYes 

Wow...I had no idea. Lol
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageWashingtonQueen:
    Ok mommies to be, see the onesies with the neck like this one?imageThat is so the onesie can slip down the baby's body when they have a blowout so that you do not have to pull it over their head. :

STM here and I didn't even know that!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• imageWashingtonQueen:
    Ok mommies to be, see the onesies with the neck like this one?imageThat is so the onesie can slip down the baby's body when they have a blowout so that you do not have to pull it over their head. :

Mind blown.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• imageV&G101808:
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    Mind blown.
    For real!  That's awesome. 

The snap/zip tip just took a huge load off of me, haha.  After washing a bunch of second hand clothes, it seemed so untidy to not snap/zip them up, but that was just too much work.  Now I know my laziness was actually genius.  This may in fact be the best news of my day.   ;)

imageimageimage
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

Thank you!

• imagedarjeeling:

The snap/zip tip just took a huge load off of me, haha.  After washing a bunch of second hand clothes, it seemed so untidy to not snap/zip them up, but that was just too much work.  Now I know my laziness was actually genius.  This may in fact be the best news of my day.   ;)

I just fold the onesies in half at the "waist" and for the sleepers, fold the zipper/snaps into the middle first (hot dog fold) then in half again.  Keeps the stacks pretty tidy.  :)  Since you'll be doing so much laundry anyway you'll need to find a good solution for these tiny clothes, and for me, this was it.  I could almost do it one handed!

• imageWashingtonQueen:

FTM here - but I nannied all the way through high school and college, and I had no idea! Thank you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageatoz625:

I just fold the onesies in half at the "waist" and for the sleepers, fold the zipper/snaps into the middle first (hot dog fold) then in half again.  Keeps the stacks pretty tidy.  :)  ...  I could almost do it one handed!

Nice.  I like the way you think!  Soon I will become tiny-clothes-folding master.  

imageimageimage
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

Didn't know that was the purpose. luckily all of mine are like that 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • I'm so happy that I didn't miss this post!! Thanks for the advice!
  • imageMommyKristin88:
    imageWashingtonQueen:

STM here and I didn't even know that!!

Ha, I didn't know that either! However, I have been extremely lucky with DS. I never got peed on or had one blowout.

I don't think I'll be so lucky in round two! :
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Wow!  Great advice mamas.  Thank you!

FTM here so no actual experience but similar to the unsnap/unzip the clothes, I was prepping my CDs and while I was snapping/velcroing some of them, I wondered why I was doing that given I'd have to undo it to do the diapers.  Plus, it would cut down on wear n tear.  Now I feel validated in my thinking :P.
    BFP #1 7/1/12 | EDD 3/12/13 | mm/c 7/31/12 | D&E 8/3/12
    BFP #2 11/28/12 | EDD 8/10/13
    Our Baby at 11w6d | 55mm (2.2") | 162bpm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • RK125RK125 member
    Thanks for the great advice! I must confess that I'll be going through her washed clothes today and unsnapping everything! Also the onsie advice totally blew my mind! That's awesome!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• This is more of a personal preference and it may be too late because clothes have been purchased but I refused to buy any pajamas with snaps this time. every pair that I bought is either a gown that is open at the bottom or it zips. Trying to snap a million snaps in the middle of the night when you are already sleep deprived is so frustrating.

• awesome advice ladys! wish I had something to add...

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageKristin030:
    This is more of a personal preference and it may be too late because clothes have been purchased but I refused to buy any pajamas with snaps this time. every pair that I bought is either a gown that is open at the bottom or it zips. Trying to snap a million snaps in the middle of the night when you are already sleep deprived is so frustrating.

We actually preferred the snaps because then we could peek between the snaps to see if DD's diaper was wet. She was super sensitive to wetness but you couldn't tell if the diaper was actually wet without looking at the little line on her diaper. I also hated trying to get her legs down into the zip up sleepers. For DS I think we have about 50/50, I just bought whatever was cute and on sale.
  • imageaquangel:
    Wow!  Great advice mamas.  Thank you!

FTM here so no actual experience but similar to the unsnap/unzip the clothes, I was prepping my CDs and while I was snapping/velcroing some of them, I wondered why I was doing that given I'd have to undo it to do the diapers.  Plus, it would cut down on wear n tear.  Now I feel validated in my thinking :P.

You have to put the velcro down on the laundry tabs with your velcro diapers or you will wind up with a big wad of diapers velrco-ed to each other. Reason #1 that I only use snap diapers now. DH could never remember to put the velcro tabs down when he changed DD. 

imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was just going to add a comment about the velcro, too-

If you have anything velcro, CLOSE it for washing, otherwise everything ends up stuck together... For us, that was bibs.  I ended up prefering to use our snap neck bibs for this reason!

• This is great advice.  Thank you everyone!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"