Pre-School and Daycare

Crying everyday he goes to play school

Hi moms,

i really need your help.

my 2 year old has been going to his play school for a few months now. but from 7months to 18 months he was watched by his grannies everyday.

from 18 months to 22 months he was went to play school 3 times a week and went to our moms 2x per week

so monday, wed, fri he had school and tues and thurs he was at our folks.

but every since he started play school he has cried everyday we take him! then i thought maybe it was the school so a month ago we changed him to a school which is amazing and he still does the same thing - we do now take him everyday.

would anyone know the reason for his crying? is it because he misses the one on one attention? when we pick him up he his having so much fun. should i reward him? any advice?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Crying everyday he goes to play school

• My guesses are that every single day he does not know who he will be with and it is not the same person as the day before. Sunday with you Monday at school. Tuesday Grandma 1. Wednesday school. Thursday Grandma 2. Friday school. Saturday you. That is probably a lot of different schedules and different rules. Or just the oldest reason of he misses you and does not want to get dropped off.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageLittlejen22:
    My guesses are that every single day he does not know who he will be with and it is not the same person as the day before. Sunday with you Monday at school. Tuesday Grandma 1. Wednesday school. Thursday Grandma 2. Fridays school. Saturday you. That is probably a lot of different schedules and different rules. Or just the oldest reason of he misses you and does not want to get dropped off.

I agree. I'd make a chart and show photos on each day of who he will be with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • agree with PP's.  But also remember crying at drop off is pretty normal at this age.   Separation anxiety typically peeks between 2-2 1/2 years old.  My  LO went through something similar even though he goes to daycare every day and has since he was 12 weeks old.   Suddenly around 2-2 1/2 he started going through this crying stuff at drop off and it was only when he went to school, not grandmas.

But I talked to the teachers and they said, that a few minutes after I left, he got distracted with a toy and the tears stopped.

From a teachers perspective, and having worked with toddlers and preschoolers before-  here are some things you can do to help

1. Post a schedule with pictures and everyday remind him what day it is and where he is going.

2. Keep drop offs short and sweet, 2 hugs, 2 kisses and then you leave.  Long drawn out goodbyes ust make it worse

3. If possible, have him bring a special stuffed friend from home that he can hug and cuddle when he first gets there.  Talk to the teachers about how to do this.  Tell them that as soon as he starts to feel better, that the friend should go into his cubby so that it is doesnt' get lost

4. Get the book "I'll always come back" and read it at bedtime.  Its a book that talks about preschool/daycare and what fun the child is going to have ,but also keeps reminding them at the end of the time, mommy will come back to pick them up. 

Hope that helps! Remember this is a phase, and it will pass!

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"