April 2013 Moms

What's for dinner?

Does anyone else cringe when they hear this question everyday? My DH works until 9 every night so I need dinners that I can either make one handed or make rather quickly while LO is asleep. Not to mention, trying to keep dinners healthy can be a challenge! 

What are your quick go-to dinner ideas? Pls share! I'm in a rut!

Right now my fave is chicken fried rice or chicken tacos.  

Re: What's for dinner?

• I love making creamy shrimp pasta with peas mixed in. Shrimp cooks so fast esp if they are cooked just frozen, and its a cream cheese based sauce I can't find recipe but I'm sure you can find something like it online. Or pasta with oil and garlic...
  • Cereal an option???? Hahaha
  • Loading the player...
  • Uh yes! I've had cereal many many times! Now LO gets super gassy if I have dairy, so I've had to cut out the daily bowl of cereal! Boooo
  • I cringe when I hear it!
    It's funny to me bc the days when DH has had LO while I work, I have come home and said " go take an hour to yourself".......yet ALL of the other days when I'm in charge, I get this question!

Since its summer we've been grilling a lot.

Baked chicken in itallian dressing is always a go to in our house!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Salsa chicken in the crock pot is an easy go to for me. Throw chicken breasts or thighs into the crock pot, add a can of black beans, about 2 cups of salsa and cumin and cook on low for 6 hours or so. Serve over rice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Chicken cacciatore in the crockpot.  In the morning cut up a pepper and and onion, throw in cp.  Add whole chicken breast on top and then pour a can of chopped tomatoes (with juice) and a jar of your favorite sauce on top.  Cook on low all day or high ~4 hours.  About an hour before dinner I remove the breasts, shred them and put them back in so all the meat gets saucy.  Fine by itself but you can also serve over pasta.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Some ideas:

* Grilling salmon, steam broccoli in the microwave, uncle ben's 90 sec rice pouch
    * Grilled chicken over salad w/some sort of fruit, cheese and nut thrown in
    * Pasta/Salad
    * Jenni-O Turkey Burgers, Trader Joes sweet potato fries, salad
    * Anything in a crockpot- chili etc.

Find a menu rotation of 14-21 easy meals that work for you that have simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand. I keep a "menu" up on the fridge so no one ever asks me, they can just check themselves. I also sometimes prep a few ingredients the night before when I have 2-5 minutes to do so. Planning a loose week's menu ahead of time really helps cut back on that frantic feeling around dinner time.

PS- I also get the thinly sliced chic breasts (scallopini)- they cook really quickly and are easy to throw into salads etc.

• imageshadysladyWed98470:
    Uh yes! I've had cereal many many times! Now LO gets super gassy if I have dairy, so I've had to cut out the daily bowl of cereal! Boooo

Me too! I buy unsweetened almond milk, and I don't notice a difference in my cereal. It has less calories than cows milk, too, so that's a plus!
    I would definitely do crock pot dinners! That's the easiest way to cook with a baby in the house and then it stays nice and warm for your hubby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I make a quick shrimp scampi. You'll need a pound of cooked shrimp, melted butter, lemon juice, parsley, and garlic salt. Directions: preheat the oven to 350 mix all the ingredients in a bowl and toss the shrimp in it. put the shrimp in a pan and pour the remainder of the sauce in top pop in the oven for about 10 to 15 min. I just made it Thursday night and for some strange reason i take a picture of the food I make image

• imagetondraluv:
    I make a quick shrimp scampi. You'll need a pound of cooked shrimp, melted butter, lemon juice, parsley, and garlic salt. Directions: preheat the oven to 350 mix all the ingredients in a bowl and toss the shrimp in it. put the shrimp in a pan and pour the remainder if the sauce in top pop in the oven for about 10 to 15 min. I just made it Thursday night and for some strange reason i take a picture if the food I make image

I think it is only because you like making people hungry! lol 

• imageClandestineX:

I think it is only because you like making people hungry! lol 

LOL I just made myself hungry & it's not even lunch time yet. D*mn it now I wont be able to function.

• Roasting chicken (whole or pieces) and veggies on one pan is quick and easy.

I've been buying these stuffed chicken breasts by a brand called Barber Foods. I get the unbreaded ones. Stick them in the oven for about 35 minutes, and there you go. They're really good! It's not for everyday because of preservatives, but for a quick healthy-ish meal, it works. I might combine it with microwave pouches of brown rice, and microwave some frozen veggies. Quick and easy. 

Instead of making meat sauce from scratch, when I'm in a hurry I make it by browning ground beaf in oil and garlic and adding a jar of whatever pasta sauce I feel like. Use whole wheat pasta or pasta made of veggies.

Taco salad with ground beef is also quick if you buy pre-cut veggies and use a packet of taco seasoning. 

I also love English Muffin pizzas :) 

• brisket and brie tacos, corn on the cob

ETA - my key to survival is to leftovers. I cook in bulk on days I work from home, or weekends and freeze stuff. Brisket was in the freezer, so that's easy. I have bags of meatballs, marinara, pulled pork or crockpot chicken.  

• I love to cook and meal planning is kind of my "thing" so I don't cringe as this question but I definitely go through phases of running out of ideas... and then I go to Pinterest!

A few faves: baked penne w/ meatballs, beef or chicken lo mein with frozen egg rolls and/or ramen noodle salad, baked enchiladas, roast chicken, prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, lasagna, ribs in the slow cooker...

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"