Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

no BM in 3 days

I have a 4wk old boy and I breast bottle feed formula I have no breast pump and he hasn't pooped in 3 days. Sometimes he seems like he is gas pain buy passes gas like crazy. I'm concerned as to what I can do to help him poop and relieve the gasiness

Please help
Peace & Blessings Naturalbeing

Re: no BM in 3 days

• Options
    Its normal for a breast fed baby to go that long without a poop. Although I'd still call your pedi tomorrow.
    imageimage
    imageimage image
  • Options
    Thanks. But what can I do to soothe the gas?
    Peace & Blessings Naturalbeing
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagenaturalbeing1:

Bicycle legs, simethicone drops.  

• Options
    Nix55Nix55 member
    You can insert a rectal thermometer, with a little petroleum jelly, and twirl it around a bit. Of course you don't want to insert it farther than the tip though. This may help stimulate LO to go. This advice was given to me by my doctor.
  • Options
    mgm84mgm84 member
    imagekelly422:

imagenaturalbeing1:

This plus try a pacifier (it makes the baby make saliva which helps with digestion).  Then call the ped.  It can be normal but 3 days is starting to get on the longer side.  Also, do NOT use a rectal thermometer!  

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• Options
    imagemgm84:
    imagekelly422:

imagenaturalbeing1:

This plus try a pacifier (it makes the baby make saliva which helps with digestion).  Then call the ped.  It can be normal but 3 days is starting to get on the longer side.  Also, do NOT use a rectal thermometer!  

Why not? 

• Options
    Do NOT insert a rectal thermometer and "twirl" it around!  You can perforate a baby's bowel more easily than you think, I can't believe this advice was actually given!  Holy moly!
  • Options

Bicycle his legs and give him some tummy time for the gas. 

Its normal to go a while without a poop. BF babies are absorbing all the nutrients from their food and can go a considerable while without a poop. As long as there are enough wet diapers then I wouldn't worry until after 7 days of no poop.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

imageAMoes:
    Do NOT insert a rectal thermometer and "twirl" it around!  You can perforate a baby's bowel more easily than you think, I can't believe this advice was actually given!  Holy moly!

Absolutely not! Don't take this advice. OMG.

You can a.) Get it to the point where baby will not be able to have a BM without stimulation to go. That's a bad news bear and really sets you up for constipation. b.) you can seriously damage the inside of the anus or perforate the bowel. Seriously, just wait for the kid to go to the restroom.

The only thing that you can insert in there are suppositories given to you after a constipation diagnoses. Don't go sticking things in your baby's bottom for pete's sake.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagePrimRoseMama:

imageAMoes:

Absolutely not! Don't take this advice. OMG.

You can a.) Get it to the point where baby will not be able to have a BM without stimulation to go. That's a bad news bear and really sets you up for constipation. b.) you can seriously damage the inside of the anus or perforate the bowel. Seriously, just wait for the kid to go to the restroom.

The only thing that you can insert in there are suppositories given to you after a constipation diagnoses. Don't go sticking things in your baby's bottom for pete's sake.  

Inserting just the tip of a rectal thermometer will not perforate the bowel.  There is an area of rectum before it actually becomes the colon. Taking a baby's temperature rectally is more accurate than any other way, so suppositories aren't the only thing that you're supposed to insert. Now one shouldn't stick it further than the tip and wiggle it all around for sh!ts and giggles, but gently inserting the tip as if one was taking the temperature won't harm LO.  However, it is true that you can make it where LO needs stimulation to go, so you shouldn't do this regularly. 

• Options

My pediatrician said that some babies will go 5 days without a BM and that's still OK.

Also, about the rectal thermometer. I have used that trick to get my DD to go just yesterday as she was clearly constipated, in pain, and having a rough time. It worked like a charm. You don't swirl it around, just stick it in about half an inch as if you were taking their temperature. A rectal thermometer is the best way to take a babies temperature and when used correctly do not pose any harm or risk to the baby. That's how they do it at the doctor's office! She has since had a normal BM by herself today too so it appears she will not need this every time to go to the bathroom either.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

• Options
    My pedi told me babies can go 67 days without pooping. For gas try gas drops or gripe water
  • Options
    My pedi told me babies can go 6 to 7 days without pooping. For gas try gas drops or gripe water
  • Options
    The pedi's office gave this advice when my DS was backed up.

Take his temp rectally. No twirling, obviously.

Put him in a warm tub and massage his rectal area.

Massage his anus with a warm, wet cotton ball

Massage his tummy

Bicycle his legs.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"